[1.9.x] Orbital Colony - Civilian Population Assets standalone

linuxgurugamer

Forum user @RealGecko left a while ago and turned this mod over to me.  Original thread is here: https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/166775-ksp

It's been updated for 1.6.1

Once I received a tourism contract that required to build a space hotel capable of holding up to 50 kerbals... 50 KAAAARL!

I started to try various superb station parts pack, but was not satisfied by any of them, as none contained parts that were capable of holding at least 25 kerbals in one part. And also none looked like "hotel" (of course, these are space station parts ).

The only mod that looked close to what I wanted was "struggling to survive" Civilian Population. And even though Civilian Population is cool I personally wanted to have it's parts with stock only functionality. That's how I created Orbital Structures.

Contains Apartments, Administration Deck, Science Deck, Biosphere Gardens and some structural Elements.

OrbitalColony-1508708495.2002409.png

Things to note:

Assets

• Taken from original CivilianPopulation
  • Fixed texture references in every model files
  • Some textures were missing just duplicated from existing ones

Parts

Configs

• Following parts have internals commented out
    • ApartmentsSmall.cfg
    • ApartmentsLarge.cfg
    • ApartmentsMedium.cfg

TODO

• convert all textures to dds
  • modify mu files to use dds

MM patches

All credits go to:

A collective work of...

Availability

Donations gratefully accepted

Patreon.png

https://www.patreon.com/linuxgurugamer

Edited by linuxgurugamer

• 3 weeks later...

I am trying to cut down on the number of mods I've amassed as I crank up for a 1.6.1. game.

@linuxgurugamer, you are NOT HELPING! :sticktongue:

Seriously, tho... thanks for picking this up with an eye towards those hotel contracts.  I tried building a hotel prototype, but wasn't happy with the looks of it.

8 hours ago, SSgt Baloo said:

I love this mod, but does anyone have any ideas how to get the really big spherical garden into orbit? I'm having "difficulties" and would like to benchmark someone else's best practices, if possible.

Personally, I'd probably be using EL.  Build in orbit, just launch the materials.  (Likely in multiple launches...)

16 hours ago, DStaal said:

Personally, I'd probably be using EL.  Build in orbit, just launch the materials.  (Likely in multiple launches...)

It's one giant piece that I can't "build in orbit". Has anyone actually launched one into orbit, either alone or attached to other colony bits??

9 hours ago, SSgt Baloo said:

It's one giant piece that I can't "build in orbit". Has anyone actually launched one into orbit, either alone or attached to other colony bits??

Without seeing the particular part myself (neighbourhood is without power at the moment), I would suggest to use the Kerbal Standard Operating Procedure of using MOAR BOOSTERS :)

20 hours ago, SSgt Baloo said:

I know I've built it at least once with Extraplanetary Launchpads in the past.  So you can build in orbit.  (And I don't think I’d ever actually try to launch it.)

But other than that, yeah: MOAR BOOSTERS.  ;) 

• 4 weeks later...
16 hours ago, overkill13 said:

I'm not sure if the whitelist is working.  None of the biosphere/greenhouses show up for me?  Do they require an LS mod?  I haven't reinstalled USI-LS yet.

If you arent running ReStock, the whitelist doesn’t do anything

if you are, please provide a log file

7 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

If you arent running ReStock, the whitelist doesn’t do anything

if you are, please provide a log file

I've found them under the life support tab.  Not sure if they were there prior to reinstalling USI-LS.  Where I didn't find them was after using Janitor's Closet to limit to Orbital Colony only and clicking on the search bar, which should cause all parts in the mod to appear, but a few mods seem to lose pieces this way, and I cannot explain why.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Is anyone else who uses these parts having any issue with the Netherdyne University?

When I feed it science experiments I don't get a Total Data/Max Data or any projected science increase, but I do have the yellow button with +0 at the bottom.

Tested it at the end of the stream on the launchpad, first trying a mk2 science lab, then the netherdyne university.

I happen to already have a current output and KSP log from reporting another bug earlier, so please disregard the screenshots - the logs can be found here via Filebin

@linuxgurugamer

• 1 month later...
On 3/16/2019 at 2:10 AM, overkill13 said:

I've found them under the life support tab.  Not sure if they were there prior to reinstalling USI-LS.  Where I didn't find them was after using Janitor's Closet to limit to Orbital Colony only and clicking on the search bar, which should cause all parts in the mod to appear, but a few mods seem to lose pieces this way, and I cannot explain why.

On 6/30/2019 at 6:49 PM, SHiRKiT said:

Does anyone have a MM patch for it to work with USI Habitat and Greenhouse?

Hello,

Does this mod work with "USI Life Support" or "USI MKS"?

15 hours ago, N3N said:

Hello,

Does this mod work with "USI Life Support" or "USI MKS"?

It uses old patches for the greenhouses, but I think they will still work.  Unfortunately the living spaces don't appear to have patches for the habitation parts of USI-LS.  So, it will work, but it won't work to extend the available hab time for your Kerbals other than simply the seats in each part.

6 hours ago, overkill13 said:

It uses old patches for the greenhouses, but I think they will still work.  Unfortunately the living spaces don't appear to have patches for the habitation parts of USI-LS.  So, it will work, but it won't work to extend the available hab time for your Kerbals other than simply the seats in each part.

Hello,

OK, thank you.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/22/2019 at 10:19 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

And even though Civilian Population is cool I personally wanted to have it's parts with stock only functionality. That's how I created Orbital Structures.

Would you find any benefit if I add a config, disabled by default, for USI Life Support and Snacks?  I think people might like having massive orbital greenhouses.  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Is there a high likelihood that this will work without problems in 1.9?   I'm starting to build my list for a new career start in a couple months and want to give the new shaders a try. As with most folks, Im staying with 1.8.1 until at least 2 weeks AFTER all my mods update.  But it doesn't hurt to plan ahead

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.