Deorbittimg my kerbin station in the most Micheal bay way

putnamto

Any  suggestions ? Ive  reorvitted  it  once  and  all  it  really  did  was  reentry  effects  and  rip  off  the  solar  panels  and  batteries.

Im  looking  for  any  tips/ideas/mods  to  really  make  a  spectacle  of  it, I  want  cool  angles, I  want  the  station  to  rip  apart  piece  by  peace, I  want  to  make  Micheal  bay  proud.

Suggestions?

Raise apoapsis then do a radial-in burn to point periapsis deep into the atmosphere with as much speed as possible. Don't go straight down though, you want it to spend a decent amount of time moving very quickly through the air for maximum destruction prior to lithobraking.

12 hours ago, peteletroll said:

Raise the station apoapsis, and start the reentry from there.

This, plus connect up a few of the modules with TT-38K couplers. They have the same heat/pressure limit stats as every other decoupler but they seem to blow much quicker sometimes; especially if they're mounted side-on to the path of travel. So - they blow before the modules do; leaving tumbling pieces falling and blowing up all around you. Ought to be pretty spectacular! :D

Per the other suggestions, raise the apoapsis, then at apoapsis lower the periapsis to somewhere in the low atmosphere.  Lots of speed, lots of thick air to burn up against.  While you are at it, I would also recommend sending your station into a rapid spin as you are approaching the atmosphere, then cut off any SAS.  Even small reaction wheels will get it spinning at a high speed, if you let them run long enough.  The purpose of this is that it tends to spread out the atmospheric compression across the surface of the station, instead of letting just one part take the brunt of it.  This will delay the heat build up in some places, dragging the process out so it doesn't blow up too quickly, and hopefully giving you lots of nice smaller explosions instead of one big one that takes everything else with it.  You might also get some of the looser parts of the station getting ripped off without exploding as the combination of torque and shearing forces tear weakly held chunks off of it.

Think the ending scene of Gravity:

On 1/25/2019 at 4:43 PM, Fearless Son said:

Per the other suggestions, raise the apoapsis, then at apoapsis lower the periapsis to somewhere in the low atmosphere.  Lots of speed, lots of thick air to burn up against.  While you are at it, I would also recommend sending your station into a rapid spin as you are approaching the atmosphere, then cut off any SAS.  Even small reaction wheels will get it spinning at a high speed, if you let them run long enough.  The purpose of this is that it tends to spread out the atmospheric compression across the surface of the station, instead of letting just one part take the brunt of it.  This will delay the heat build up in some places, dragging the process out so it doesn't blow up too quickly, and hopefully giving you lots of nice smaller explosions instead of one big one that takes everything else with it.  You might also get some of the looser parts of the station getting ripped off without exploding as the combination of torque and shearing forces tear weakly held chunks off of it.

Do this, but also jsut when the reentry heating is starting to get going, start separating modules so they split of and blow up like fireworks 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.