[1.12.+] Superfluous Nodes [0.8] - Plethora of extra nodes for stock parts!

Geonovast

I saw a mattlowne vid saying  the drag system works via empty nodes. Thats why during one of his challenge vids he designed the craft with the open node facing down. I didnt know how old the video was...but either way..im glad the new system doesnt do that...i also had the impression that this mod would be otrociously bad for drag.

Ima download this mod now :)

perhaps a quick note in the op could clear things up so people like me dont spam that note all the time. 

curious side question tho..when did they change the drag system? 1.3.1 and up I imagine?

55 minutes ago, Jesusthebird said:

perhaps a quick note in the op could clear things up so people like me dont spam that note all the time. 

curious side question tho..when did they change the drag system? 1.3.1 and up I imagine?

I'll probably put something in there, although really this isn't a long thread.  It wouldn't take much to skim it to see if it's mentioned.  I believe the change was for 1.0, but that was before my time.

On a side note, I know about the issue with the added hinge nodes not moving when you change the target angle in the VAB.  I'm pretty sure I know how to fix it and it should be taken care of in a few hours.

Edited by Geonovast

I'm pretty sure you can drop the "Sort of" bit in the OP after "I made a mod!" - Because ohmygod did you make a mod! <3

What's the best way to know there may be updates for this? As it's not on CKAN and my KSP.exe is kinda.. locked out of the internet. I'm guessing it's manual labor?

16 minutes ago, Jognt said:

What's the best way to know there may be updates for this? As it's not on CKAN and my KSP.exe is kinda.. locked out of the internet. I'm guessing it's manual labor?

I tried clicking the "Add to CKAN" thing on Spacedock, but it's not working.  I'll check the SD thread and see if that's expected to be fixed.  Right now it would probably be best to follow this thread or the mod on Spacedock.

New Release: 0.6

Changelog:

• Fixed the issue with nodes not moving correctly when changing Target Angle on Breaking Ground hinges in the VAB/SPH

If you don't have Breaking Ground, there's no reason to update.

5 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

I tried clicking the "Add to CKAN" thing on Spacedock, but it's not working.  I'll check the SD thread and see if that's expected to be fixed.  Right now it would probably be best to follow this thread or the mod on Spacedock.

New Release: 0.6

Changelog:

• Fixed the issue with nodes not moving correctly when changing Target Angle on Breaking Ground hinges in the VAB/SPH

If you don't have Breaking Ground, there's no reason to update.

Yeah I read somewhere that the auto "add to ckan" thing stopped working a while back, so it's basically the guys manually checking whether someone checked the box.

I'll follow the thread, hadn't thought about that yet! Good idea ;)

2 hours ago, Jognt said:

The "recently updated mods" section on spacedock...for me. I have it booked marked and it shows changlog if author adds it in. Plus theres a forum thread link there too most of the time

Nominations for mods to add (in order of Priority):
KAX
Airplane Plus
Grounded
Suicidal Insanity's Mk2 and Mk3 Stockalike Extensions.
RLA Reborn
SXT Continued
Kerbal Attachment System
(to a lesser degree) Kerbal Inventory System
SCANSat (Give scanners base nodes for perfect nose attachment)

Edited by Ruedii
Remove Double Post.

6 hours ago, Ruedii said:

KAX
Airplane Plus
Grounded
RLA Reborn
SXT Continued
Kerbal Attachment System

SCANSat - will see if I can fit this in over the weekend or so.Maybe KAS.KIS - will have to see.

Am also working on finishing my efforts on the MK2 Landing Can.

I'm either experiencing an issue with Superfluous Nodes, or I'm noticing an odd quirk of the stock game:

Node attaching parts in mirror symmetry causes the opposite side to attach in the wrong direction, seems to work fine in radial symmetry though.

It looks like the same problem the MH structural plates have, so I'm guessing it's either unfixable or a fix that I can use to fix MH too :3.

Edit: Doh... since the MH plates have it too I think I can be sure it's a stock quirk. Do you guys have any idea how to tweak/fix this? (I can imagine you guys now being the Node authority :D)

Edited by Jognt

13 minutes ago, Jognt said:

(I can imagine you guys now being the Node authority :D)

:huh:

I'm just guessin' here.

Symmetry isn't easy.  I don't think it's possible to get it to mirror correctly using nodes.  If it is, I have no idea.  There's a link about it earlier in this thread, I'll need to pour through that again.  Maybe I can figure something out.

18 hours ago, Ruedii said:

KAX
Airplane Plus
Grounded
RLA Reborn
SXT Continued
Kerbal Attachment System

I'm pretty unlikely to add nodes for mods I don't use, but I do use a fair number on your list.  When I get into it again, I'll tackle some of these.  Probably the Mk2 and Mk3 expansions first, since that should just be a fair amount of duplicating from the stock parts.

@zer0Kerbal if you work on any of these, please submit them to me in a PM.  Thanks for the help :D

4 hours ago, Geonovast said:

I'm just guessin' here.

Symmetry isn't easy.  I don't think it's possible to get it to mirror correctly using nodes.  If it is, I have no idea.  There's a link about it earlier in this thread, I'll need to pour through that again.  Maybe I can figure something out.

Cheers. I'll do some digging myself too. If I figure something out, I'll let you know ;)

On 6/13/2019 at 3:44 AM, zer0Kerbal said:

SCANSat - will see if I can fit this in over the weekend or so.Maybe KAS.KIS - will have to see.

Am also working on finishing my efforts on the MK2 Landing Can.

MK2 Landing Can is slated for tomorrow in order to prevent my eyes from bleeding OT yellow.

On 6/13/2019 at 4:03 PM, Geonovast said:

@zer0Kerbal if you work on any of these, please submit them to me in a PM.  Thanks for the help :D

SCANSat is done. InterKosmos is done. Tracking Lights is done.

KAS might be done. (old and new) low priority for the weekend.

KIS (just the core Ma'am) (no fun) probably will be done.

Maybe TACSelf Destruct....

I will PM when they are done.

will probably post on my GITHUB under a new repository just to make it simple for me.

OrbitalTug has been NodeDazzled. lots and lots and lots. :cool:

On 6/13/2019 at 3:42 PM, Jognt said:

Edit: Doh... since the MH plates have it too I think I can be sure it's a stock quirk. Do you guys have any idea how to tweak/fix this? (I can imagine you guys now being the Node authority :D)

sorry - don't think so - but what you can do is use EditorExtensionRedux and place them, then strip symmetry then rotate as needed.

Edited by zer0Kerbal

• SCANSat is done.
  • InterKosmos is done. Maybe should rotate  1-3  parts to make them all same base orientation?
  • TrackingLights is done

DM sent. Also on my github.

these patches are all written in a manner that should prevent conflicts any issues as is happening with TweakScale now.

Edited by zer0Kerbal

I give permission to @Geonovast to use the node patches I have provided, and changing the license to match the one he uses.

and yes - NodeDazzler is a pretty cool name. :)

think I will work on SmartParts next. (KIS/KAS/TACSD)

SmartParts done. on git and DM.

Edited by zer0Kerbal

7 minutes ago, zer0Kerbal said:

some experimentation might be good concerning drag.

It's been done.  And been done.  And been done.

There's a significant portion of this thread already dedicated to the fact that open nodes no longer affect drag, and it has been this way for multiple years.

1 minute ago, Geonovast said:

It's been done.  And been done.  And been done.

There's a significant portion of this thread already dedicated to the fact that open nodes no longer affect drag, and it has been this way for multiple years.

and I thought I had read the thread. my bad.

Oof, I meant no offence, just meantioned that video because according to him node is related to drag, and it seems to work that way... Maybe his theory is entirely wrong and messing with parts' location is what his drag exploit really was.

And I'll make sure I read the comments before mentioning something false... Sorry for that

I can imagine being the only one to experience this, but I do get a chuckle out of people mentioning the drag/node thing. :D 

It's such an ingrained 'knowledge' in the KSP playerbase by now, even if it hasn't been true for a while now.

4 hours ago, Miracle Magician said:

Maybe his theory is entirely wrong and messing with parts' location is what his drag exploit really was.

I'm guessing this is the case, as he had an Mk2 lander can on the bottom of a Twinboar, which isn't possible in stock without massive offsetting.

Maybe the Twinboar needs a node at the bottom... hmmm..

• 5 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, jpinard said:

If I use this, and then have it disabled - will all my rocket parts still be as solid together as they were when the mod was active?  Will they all still work OK?

From my quick and dirty test, everything should be fine.  But if you load a vessel into the editor and remove a part that used an added node, the node will no longer be there, so you won't be able to just put it back.

This is a very light mod.  Why would you "disable" it if you wanted the nodes?

1 hour ago, Geonovast said:

From my quick and dirty test, everything should be fine.  But if you load a vessel into the editor and remove a part that used an added node, the node will no longer be there, so you won't be able to just put it back.

This is a very light mod.  Why would you "disable" it if you wanted the nodes?

If I was having trouble with too many nodes on a specific part.  or is there a command to turn off all the extra nodes?

Edited by jpinard

7 minutes ago, jpinard said:

If I was having trouble with too many nodes on a specific part.  or is there a command to turn off all the extra nodes?

As long as you install the B9 Part Switch dependency, yes, you'll have switches on the parts that have many extra nodes.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.