[1.4.0 - 1.6.x] CollisionFX-Updated [0.8.3.1]

Grigetio

• 2 months later...

I get a ton of lag when the sparks come out, and I'm on a very beefy system. I tried to edit the config, but turning "scrapeSparks = true" to false causes the scrape sound to not work, either. Is there a way to get the sounds to work without the sparks?

• 1 month later...

I found 2 issues:

- If a part got hit hard enough, a small yellow light will appear where it was hit and the collision sound won't stop playing

- Kerbals produce sparks and scraping noises when they run on Kerbin

• 3 weeks later...

I like the mod but unfortunately it;s not for me it seems... When i try to launch a plane without landing gear (for testing purposes of course) it bings my usually around 50fps system down somewhere around 5 fps...

For reference, I have an i5-6600K @ 4.1Ghz, 16 GB RAM and a GTX 980 TI hooked up to a monitor at 3400x1440 resolution. And about 40 mods installed including Astronomers Visual Pack and Real plume. 

Is there any way to tune down on the amount of sparks? Or maybe disable them and keep the sounds or something? 

Thank you!

On 5/31/2019 at 8:59 AM, Ovi said:

I found 2 issues:

- If a part got hit hard enough, a small yellow light will appear where it was hit and the collision sound won't stop playing

- Kerbals produce sparks and scraping noises when they run on Kerbin

The yellow "light" and kerbals making the scrapes / sparks persist no matter what the settings are. Can confirm.

• 4 months later...

Hi there, @Grigetio I thought I'd post a friendly FYI type of thing regarding a log error I've seen on my 1.7.3 KSP install running v. 0.8.3.1.1 of CollisionFXUpdated.

Understanding of course that 1.7.3 isn't officially supported or compiled against, etc. for this version of the mod. But anyway here it is. :)

[ERR 22:26:47.521] Module CollisionFX threw during OnStart: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at CollisionFXUpdated.CollisionFX.OnStart (StartState state) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Part.ModulesOnStart () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

I've been using CollisionFX since back-in-the-day, then saw the Updated version on CKAN (been back at KSP for about a month) so have been running with this for a while. I honestly wasn't looking at my logs that closely, until whilst researching other errors, I saw this one as well.

Any idea what this might be all about? Not asking for a compatibility upgrade or anything, just wondering out loud and hoping to clean up my install. TIA!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 11/17/2019 at 6:39 PM, Gargamel said:

Easiest way to find out is to install it and try!   Report back with your findings, so others may know. 

Just did (version 1.8.1), and it works as advertised, however the performance hit while parts are actually 'sparking' is TREMENDOUS.

I like to think that I have a fairly beefy system (Ryzen 2600, GTX970 and 16GB of RAM), and things crawled down to maybe, at most, 30FPM.  That's Frames per MINUTE.  As in, less than 1FPS.
Kind of a shame. It really looks nice when it works; which is when only one or two parts are touching the ground. But how often does that really happen?

I second Atlessa, only way to use the mod is to disable sparks for all parts via the configs, having an i7-4790 and gtx1060 with 32GB of ram, a craft hitting the ground (even at 2 or 3 points) slow the game to 0.2 fps. A debris of 2-3 parts work fine though, keeping the game at a good 60 fps.

Other than that, tire smoke work but is shot far and always to the right of the part for some reasons. Didn't hear the tire squeak when landing however.
Thumping sound works with spark disabled and does not cause any noticeable drop in performance. I also noticed the sparks looked oversized (the size of a baguette tank) and had the same texture as in the older version of the mod when activated. However, they looked like the screenshots when performances were correct as stated above.

@Grigetio

Hmm... KSPWheel had issues with dust effects, due to some unity references and/or shader/particle stuff being changed in the Unity 2019 upgrade for KSP...
i have no clue if this could be a similar issue, but might be worth checking out for someone? ... vOv

I think this might be a post where Shadowmage discusses it:

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Adoption Notice:

Since the Author of this thread and mod has not replied to my PM, I have decided to adopt this mod. @Grigetio, if you ever want to take this mod back, I am not going to deny you from taking it back. Also thank you for your wonderful mod that you have given to the community to use. Thanks for everything.

The new thread can be found here:

Please move the discussions to the new thread

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.