theJesuit

[1.6.1] SIMPLEX Living 1.1

SIMPLEX Living

A kerbalism profile that is more stock-a-like, and allows kerbalism to be stand-a-lone.

Download from Spacedock

Installation:

1. Install Kerbalism (you do not need to install the Community Resource Pack)
  2. Open the settings.cfg in the Kerbalism folder.
  3. Change the Profile line to read Profile = simplex
  4. Unzip (extract) SIMPLEX Living it to your GameData folder.

The file structure should read: Gamedata\AngleCanMods\SIMPLEXLiving and contains the licence, a pdf, and three .cfg files:

• SIMPLEXLiving-Kerbalism.cfg
    This contains the profile outlined below.

• SIMPLEXLiving-Kopernicus.cfg
    This file can be deleted if the user wishes, but recommended only with new saves.
    This contains Kopernicus settings for use in a stock system that moves Minmus to be a moon of Eeloo.  This gives Eeloo a friend and encourages the Mün to be more utilised as a refuelling station.
    Requires Kopernicus and dependencies.

• SIMPLEXLiving-Science.cfg
    This file can be deleted if the user wishes at any time.
    This contains a setting that removes a scientist’s ability to restore a Science Jr (Materials Bay) or Mystery Goo.  With Kerbalism, you are able to do this with a Mobile Processing Lab (Science Lab).  The idea is to encourage use of the MPL further.

Requires:

Module Manager (not included).
Kerbalism (not included).

Recommends:

Kopernicus (includes a config to move Eeloo to Minmus)
SIMPLEX Resources (to extend the Stock Ore system)
SIMPLEX TechTree

Licence is the Unlicense http://unlicense.org/

Introduction:

SIMPLEX Living ultimately is simplified profile of Kerbalism, maintaining the features of life support, but in a more basic way, with only two life support resources.

There no additional gases to worry about, nor balancing food and water. The CommunityResourcePack is not required for Kerbalism to function with Simplex Living.

Life Support:

• Consumables replace food and water.
    (OrganicSlurry replaces WasteFood, and WasteWater)
  • Air replaces Oxygen and Nitrogen gases.
    (BadAir replaces Carbon Dioxide gas)

The units for these resources are based on a typical use per kerbal per day.

5 units of Consumables will last 1 kerbal for 5 days.
15 units of Air will last 3 kerbals for 5 days, however Air is also used to maintain pressure due to atmospheric leakage, so you'll need to take more.

Kerbals will constantly breathe in the atmosphere around them, which is replaced immediately with bottled Air, but as they breathe out, the BadAir must be removed with scrubbers otherwise the kerbals will die.  Greenhouses, and Air Purifiers can be used to restore BadAir to Air.

Kerbals consume half a Consumable unit twice a day.  They also produce OrganicSlurry as waste.  OrganicSlurry can be converted back to Consumables using a greenhouse.  OrganicSlurry can also be converted from Ore.

Configurable Life Support modules:

Life Support modules are available to be installed on all crewed parts include, typically with 2 modules each which is upgraded to 3 with the Electronics tech tree node:

These modules are available on kerbalism’s external lifesupport part as well.

• Scrubber - used remove BadAir out of the atmosphere
  • Pressure control - used to maintain atmospheric pressure due to leaks
  • Humidity controller - used to remove excess fluid that accumulates from kerbals.  With SIMPLEX Living this process is mass neutral, and doesn’t produce or use any resources except EC.
  • Air Pump - used to maintain atmospheric pressure if an external atmosphere is present with Air in it.

Greenhouses:

These require only BadAir and OrganicSlurry to produce Consumables.

The kerbalism greenhouse will produce 36 units of Consumables every 72 days, supporting a ½ kerbal per greenhouse.  Conversion of BadAir to Air occurs every second of growth, and is the equivalent of ½ kerbal.

With two greenhouses and with a supply of Consumables, a closed loop lifesupport is able to be created with a small amount of mining to replace lost Air due to atmospheric leakage.

ISRU returns to Stock resources:

Mining and ISRU has been adjusted to replicate stock behaviour, but using the kerbalism modules.  This also means that there is no requirement for heat management with drills and in ISRU as kerbalism does not simulate heat.

The drills mine Ore as in kerbalism vanilla.

The ISRU and mini ISRU converts Ore to LiquidFuel and Oxidizer, to MonoPropellant, or to OrganicSlurry and Air.  The LiquidFuel and Oxidizer will fill whatever tanks are available, even if one of those resources is full.

The Fuel Cells now operate on LiquidFuel & Oxidizer (stock behaviour), or Monopropellant & Air.  Fuel Cell modules are not available as part of the Life Support modules.

Storage:

With the Life Support, kerbalism’s containers can be configure to hold their particular resource or counterpart.

So many people have helped on this.  The great people developing Kerbalism including ShotgunNinja, N70, PiezPiedPy.  Inspiration from IFILS originally by Stavell, now maintained by LinuxGuruGamer.  Blowfish and the MM team.

Changelog 1.1:

Cruesoe pointed out an issue with perpetual Air when the scrubber was on, along with erratic EC usage.  It was the Air Purifiers.  These have been pulled.
The Radiation Detox Unit now requires Air, not oxygen, whatever oxygen is.
Near Future Construction's Hex and Octo tanks have Support!

Changelog 1.0.2:

I seem to have an issue in occasionally giving everybody everything in the same download.  Again, this is resolved with no code changes.

Changelog 1.0.1:

The partupgrade module had extraneous information that caused errors.  This is now resolved.

Peace.

Edited by theJesuit
Update to 1.1

First!

You kept tempting me @theJesuit and im only, and ONLY gone check your SIMPLEX out for the isru part :P

joke. if i like it. i keep it! :)

Edited by dxeh

Time to start a new Simplex career.

There goes my weekend!

Hi all,

Thanks for the positive response!  I'd be happy to know how you are finding it - feedback is key.

A small update, a hotfix really.  Will stop a ksp.log error and an MM one apparently.  It will also let the part upgrade thing work so that with electronics you get a third slot on your craft :)

Peace.

Hi all,

Changelog 1.1:

Cruesoe pointed out an issue with perpetual Air when the scrubber was on, along with erratic EC usage.  It was the Air Purifiers.  These have been pulled.
The Radiation Detox Unit now requires Air, not oxygen, what oxygen is.
Near Future Construction's Hex and Octo tanks have Support!

Very exciting.

Peace.

I've been watching the SIMPLEX stuff for a while and I'm going to try using this for the career play-through I plan on doing soon.

2 hours ago, aceman67 said:

I've been watching the SIMPLEX stuff for a while and I'm going to try using this for the career play-through I plan on doing soon.

Awesome!  Keep me posted :) 

Posted (edited)

Very much enjoying this SIMPLEX Living, I like the simple resources but still the challenge of Kerbalism.

I would like to make one small request though :)

Can you look into adding support for Universal Storage 2.  It has a handy number of parts that I feel help you build really good looking rockets.  However its life support elements are things like Oxygen rather than air.

I have looked into changing the resources myself but for balance I could do with you taking a look.  Please and thank you!

(Note: There is Kerbalism code in the part.cfg files, just needs your Simplex balancing and thoughts)

Edited by Cruesoe
note

1 hour ago, Cruesoe said:

Very much enjoying this SIMPLEX Living, I like the simple resources but still the challenge of Kerbalism.

I would like to make one small request though :)

Can you look into adding support for Universal Storage 2.  It has a handy number of parts that I feel help you build really good looking rockets.  However its life support elements are things like Oxygen rather than air.

I have looked into changing the resources myself but for balance I could do with you taking a look.  Please and thank you!

I will do so.  A request is a small step to fulfill a greater dream.

It is already supported by Simplex TechTree so I'll do this and also for Simplex Resources.

Peace.

Hi all,

Kerbalism 2.2.0 is out, and will break saves.

I think Simplex Living will operate as per normal if you don't use B9 part switching, as the new kerbalism will use B9 part switching for the containers rather than the stock.  I'll be working on patching (with US2 support as well) over the week, but I have a busy one.

Peace.

@theJesuit I found your wonder suite of mods and was trying it in a new career save with Kerbalism 2.1.2 (and other mods) and ran into a bit of a hiccup. Universal Storage wedges don't recognize your SIMPLEX Living changes to Kerbalism's resources. Is there somewhere in the files you can point me to for volume needed to make a module manager patch for US2 so I can make the wedges work? It's still early days in my space program (using your Tech Tree as well) and I'm only just getting 1 kerbal pods into orbit. Any help would be appreciated.

11 hours ago, Daelkyr said:

@theJesuit I found your wonder suite of mods and was trying it in a new career save with Kerbalism 2.1.2 (and other mods) and ran into a bit of a hiccup. Universal Storage wedges don't recognize your SIMPLEX Living changes to Kerbalism's resources. Is there somewhere in the files you can point me to for volume needed to make a module manager patch for US2 so I can make the wedges work? It's still early days in my space program (using your Tech Tree as well) and I'm only just getting 1 kerbal pods into orbit. Any help would be appreciated.

Yea, that's planned as someobe did request it but I've been busier than expected and helping playtest the next kerbalism.  I'll look at this tomorrow. Hopefully!