[1.8.1] SIMPLEX Kerbalism 2.0.2 (formerly Simplex Living)

SIMPLEX Kerbalism

A kerbalism profile that is more stock-a-like, and allows kerbalism to be stand-a-lone.

Download from Spacedock

Installation:

1. Install KerbalismCore https://spacedock.info/mod/1774
  2. You don't need KerbalismConfig, or Community ResourcePack
  3. Put the KerbalismSimplex folder into GameData

Requires:

Module Manager (not included).
KerbalismCore (not included).

Recommended but certainly NOT required:
SIMPLEX Resources (to extend the Stock Ore system)
TETRIX TechTree

Licence is the Unlicense http://unlicense.org/

Introduction:

SIMPLEX Living ultimately is simplified profile of Kerbalism, maintaining the features of life support, but in a more basic way, with only two life support resources.

There no additional gases to worry about, nor balancing food and water. The CommunityResourcePack is not required for Kerbalism to function with Kerbalism Simplex.

Life Support:

• Consumables replace food and water.
    (OrganicSlurry replaces WasteFood, and WasteWater)
  • Air replaces Oxygen and Nitrogen gases.
    (BadAir replaces Carbon Dioxide gas)

The units for these resources are based on a typical use per kerbal per day.

5 units of Consumables will last 1 kerbal for 5 days.
15 units of Air will last 3 kerbals for 5 days, however Air is also used to maintain pressure due to atmospheric leakage, so you'll need to take more.

Kerbals will constantly breathe in the atmosphere around them, which is replaced immediately with bottled Air, but as they breathe out, the BadAir must be removed with scrubbers otherwise the kerbals will die.  Greenhouses, and Air Purifiers can be used to restore BadAir to Air.

Kerbals consume half a Consumable unit twice a day.  They also produce OrganicSlurry as waste.  OrganicSlurry can be converted back to Consumables using a greenhouse.  OrganicSlurry can also be converted from Ore.

Configurable Life Support modules:

Life Support modules are available to be installed on all crewed parts include, typically with 2 modules each which is upgraded to 3 with the Electronics tech tree node:

These modules are available on kerbalism’s external lifesupport part as well.

• Scrubber - used remove BadAir out of the atmosphere
  • Pressure control - used to maintain atmospheric pressure due to leaks
  • Air Pump - used to maintain atmospheric pressure if an external atmosphere is present with Air in it.
  • MonoProp and Air FuelCell

Greenhouses:

These require only BadAir and OrganicSlurry to produce Consumables.

The kerbalism greenhouse will produce 36 units of Consumables every 72 days, supporting a ½ kerbal per greenhouse.  Conversion of BadAir to Air occurs every second of growth, and is the equivalent of ½ kerbal.

With two greenhouses and with a supply of Consumables, a closed loop lifesupport is able to be created with a small amount of mining to replace lost Air due to atmospheric leakage.

ISRU returns to Stock resources:

Mining and ISRU has been adjusted to replicate stock behaviour, but using the kerbalism modules.  This also means that there is no requirement for heat management with drills and in ISRU as kerbalism does not simulate heat.

The drills mine Ore as in Stock KSP.

The ISRU and mini ISRU converts Ore to LiquidFuel and Oxidizer, to MonoPropellant, or to OrganicSlurry and Air.  The LiquidFuel and Oxidizer will fill whatever tanks are available, even if one of those resources is full.

The Fuel Cells now operate on LiquidFuel & Oxidizer (stock behaviour), or Monopropellant & Air.  Fuel Cell modules are available as part of the Life Support modules.

Storage:

With the Life Support, kerbalism’s containers can be configure to hold their particular resource or counterpart.

So many people have helped on this.  The great people developing Kerbalism including ShotgunNinja, N70, PiezPiedPy, Sir Mortimer.  Inspiration from IFILS originally by Stavell, now maintained by LinuxGuruGamer.  Blowfish and the MM team.

Changelog 2.0.2

Fixed LFO Fuel Cells and reduced MP consumption in its Fuel Cell type

Changelog 2.0.1

Fix Air not appearing in pods.

Changelog 2.0:

Change Mod name to SIMPLEX Kerbalism

Now installed as its own profile.

Peace.

Edited by theJesuit
SIMPLEX Kerbalism changelog 2.0.2 on fixes

Hi all,

Thanks for the positive response!  I'd be happy to know how you are finding it - feedback is key.

A small update, a hotfix really.  Will stop a ksp.log error and an MM one apparently.  It will also let the part upgrade thing work so that with electronics you get a third slot on your craft :)

Peace.

Hi all,

Changelog 1.1:

Cruesoe pointed out an issue with perpetual Air when the scrubber was on, along with erratic EC usage.  It was the Air Purifiers.  These have been pulled.
The Radiation Detox Unit now requires Air, not oxygen, what oxygen is.
Near Future Construction's Hex and Octo tanks have Support!

Very exciting.

Peace.

• 4 weeks later...

Very much enjoying this SIMPLEX Living, I like the simple resources but still the challenge of Kerbalism.

I would like to make one small request though :)

Can you look into adding support for Universal Storage 2.  It has a handy number of parts that I feel help you build really good looking rockets.  However its life support elements are things like Oxygen rather than air.

I have looked into changing the resources myself but for balance I could do with you taking a look.  Please and thank you!

(Note: There is Kerbalism code in the part.cfg files, just needs your Simplex balancing and thoughts)

Edited by Cruesoe
note
1 hour ago, Cruesoe said:

Very much enjoying this SIMPLEX Living, I like the simple resources but still the challenge of Kerbalism.

I would like to make one small request though :)

Can you look into adding support for Universal Storage 2.  It has a handy number of parts that I feel help you build really good looking rockets.  However its life support elements are things like Oxygen rather than air.

I have looked into changing the resources myself but for balance I could do with you taking a look.  Please and thank you!

I will do so.  A request is a small step to fulfill a greater dream.

It is already supported by Simplex TechTree so I'll do this and also for Simplex Resources.

Peace.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

Kerbalism 2.2.0 is out, and will break saves.

I think Simplex Living will operate as per normal if you don't use B9 part switching, as the new kerbalism will use B9 part switching for the containers rather than the stock.  I'll be working on patching (with US2 support as well) over the week, but I have a busy one.

Peace.

• 5 weeks later...

@theJesuit I found your wonder suite of mods and was trying it in a new career save with Kerbalism 2.1.2 (and other mods) and ran into a bit of a hiccup. Universal Storage wedges don't recognize your SIMPLEX Living changes to Kerbalism's resources. Is there somewhere in the files you can point me to for volume needed to make a module manager patch for US2 so I can make the wedges work? It's still early days in my space program (using your Tech Tree as well) and I'm only just getting 1 kerbal pods into orbit. Any help would be appreciated.

11 hours ago, Daelkyr said:

@theJesuit I found your wonder suite of mods and was trying it in a new career save with Kerbalism 2.1.2 (and other mods) and ran into a bit of a hiccup. Universal Storage wedges don't recognize your SIMPLEX Living changes to Kerbalism's resources. Is there somewhere in the files you can point me to for volume needed to make a module manager patch for US2 so I can make the wedges work? It's still early days in my space program (using your Tech Tree as well) and I'm only just getting 1 kerbal pods into orbit. Any help would be appreciated.

Yea, that's planned as someobe did request it but I've been busier than expected and helping playtest the next kerbalism.  I'll look at this tomorrow. Hopefully!

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone.

I've done a little bit of balance work as I realised that Air is not particularly balanced. So I'll do a release 1.2 once I've done the US2 containers.

But there will need to be a 2.0 release in the next couple of weeks as Kerbalism 3.0 will come out.  This is going to be a new way of implementing kerbalism where the base code (like kopernicus) is released with the config stuff separate.

Part of this will mean that the fancy new kerbalism science system needs to be included.  I'll probably be creating my own balance eventually for this too.

Peace.

Hi everyone. Kerbalism 3.0 is out (and I heard of Kopernicus too so wow!)

Very exciting.

I have some more work to do in getting everything properly setup.  Included in Simplex will be a modification of Science values, as Science has changed.  I may also alter how the mod is setup to make it more obvious it is for Kerbalism too - and release on CKAN.

It'll be sorted by next weekend.  

Peace

• 2 months later...

@theJesuit this profile really interests me, as I've noticed that I've missed out on a lot of great stock parts and experiences due to kerbalism, like I never do isru cause kerbalism makes it complex and different and how it affects the mobile processing lab and making gaining science so much different and take much longer

1 hour ago, The-Doctor said:

@theJesuit this profile really interests me, as I've noticed that I've missed out on a lot of great stock parts and experiences due to kerbalism, like I never do isru cause kerbalism makes it complex and different and how it affects the mobile processing lab and making gaining science so much different and take much longer

Thanks! 

Just so every one knows, I haven't put a new thing up for kerbalism 3.x.x because the scope has been to keep everything close to stock/ and mass ratios.  The science is something i'd like to rework in a Simplex way, but for now the science is what the science does and keeping the current mod sitting alongside KerbalismConfig as opposed to replacing it (see RO config) is the only way I can manage it.

Peace.

• 4 months later...
4 hours ago, Silent1_87 said:

is it me or command pods don't have air resource only consumables 

A bug! Don't know.  I'll fire up and have look.  BRB.

EDIT: Not just you.  I'll work on a fix now.  That's embarrassing... I'd have Bill flogged but he's only working for snack bytes now. 

Thanks for pointing it out.

Edited by theJesuit

Kerbalism 3.1 indicates that Dmagic Orbital Science is a compatable mod.  When I add KerbalismCore and Simplex Kerbalism as directed I lose functionality to my Dmagic science experiments.  Remove them and Dmagic works.  Known issue or do I need to research more and post mod log?