Jump to content

Kerbal Maps is back! (sort of)


Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, Stone Blue said:

@CraigCottingham HI... I'm poking around a little, and attempting to extract JNSQ maps...
I was just wondering which, if any, JNSQ bodies you had already extracted... ??

The real world has been imposing itself on my life for the last few months, so I haven't done an awful lot with this lately. I'll need to revive what I was working on for JNSQ and get back to you.

Update: I think I've done zoom level 0 for everything, and zoom levels 1-7 for Kerbin, Mun, Minmus, and Moho so far: https://github.com/FiniteMonkeys/kerbal-maps/issues/64

Quote

Also, I'm new to using Cartographer, and was wondering if you had one, could you share the exact content of a .cfg used to extract specifically a JNSQ body?

Not at the moment, but I'll generate one and post it somwhere for you.

Quote

Also, which maps does KerbalMaps support?
I guess Cartogropher can export moar types than what KM uses?

kerbal-maps currently uses only biome, slope and satellite maps. The exact options for Cartographer will be in the .cfg.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, CraigCottingham said:

The real world has been imposing itself on my life for the last few months, so I haven't done an awful lot with this lately. I'll need to revive what I was working on for JNSQ and get back to you.

No problem... i *know* how that goes... lol

8 minutes ago, CraigCottingham said:

Update: I think I've done zoom level 0 for everything, and zoom levels 1-7 for Kerbin, Mun, Minmus, and Moho so far: https://github.com/FiniteMonkeys/kerbal-maps/issues/64

Ok.. I'll make some attempts for some of the lesser bodies, to see how this all works :P

 

9 minutes ago, CraigCottingham said:

kerbal-maps currently uses only biome, slope and satellite maps. The exact options for Cartographer will be in the .cfg.

Gotcha... so no heightMaps... :check_mark:

Are there set texture sizes for each zoom level?
 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

@Stone Blue @RowBear @KerbalKore  (and anyone else who wants to help out, I suppose) I'm linking Cartographer config files for extracting map tiles for JNSQ bodies.

For the map extraction, I'm using KSP 1.8.1 with these mods only:

Download a config file (which hasn't been struck through) from the list below, copy it to GameData/Sigma/Cartographer/Settings.cfg, and launch KSP.

Since it takes a long time to extract all the tiles for a body, please claim only one at a time and post to this thread which one you claim when you do. Hopefully this will keep us from duplicating effort.

Once you've extracted your first set of tiles, contact me and we'll figure out how to transfer them from you to me and/or the kerbal-maps server.

Thanks in advance!

Update 2020-03-04: All tiles appear to have been generated. I'm uploading them to the server now, but the code changes necessary to support multiple planet packs won't be ready until next week at the soonest, probably.

Edited by CraigCottingham
Adding @KerbalKore
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, CraigCottingham said:

@Stone Blue @RowBear @KerbalKore  (and anyone else who wants to help out, I suppose) I'm linking Cartographer config files for extracting map tiles for JNSQ bodies.

For the map extraction, I'm using KSP 1.8.1 with these mods only:

Download a config file (which hasn't been struck through) from the list below, copy it to GameData/Sigma/Cartographer/Settings.cfg, and launch KSP.

Since it takes a long time to extract all the tiles for a body, please claim only one at a time and post to this thread which one you claim when you do. Hopefully this will keep us from duplicating effort.

Once you've extracted your first set of tiles, contact me and we'll figure out how to transfer them from you to me and/or the kerbal-maps server.

Thanks in advance!

Does the server have ksp on it?

Because I might make you a specialized plugin to extract everything from the server itself so you don't have to bother with huge file transfers

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sigma88 said:

Because I might make you a specialized plugin to extract everything from the server itself so you don't have to bother with huge file transfers

:0.0: wow... that seems like it would be awesomesauce.
I assume it wouldnt be JNSQ-specific, either...?? vOv
I know there are other awesome planet packs that would be nice to have KM support for...
Of course, everything all depends, in the end, on available server/hosted space :P

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Sigma88 said:

Does the server have ksp on it?

Because I might make you a specialized plugin to extract everything from the server itself so you don't have to bother with huge file transfers

No, it does not. I'm running Kerbal Maps on a single instance at Heroku with the map tiles served out of AWS Cloudfront.

I tried installing KSP on a spare Linux box I have in my house, but was missing something with respect to the graphics. IIRC it wouldn't even start up.

If someone has experience running KSP on Linux and knows if it can be tricked into running headless, I might try firing up a server instance on AWS. I might be willing to eat the cost of an instance running for a couple of weeks if it means not having to tie up my laptop for 12+ hours per celestial body.

5 hours ago, Stone Blue said:

I assume it wouldnt be JNSQ-specific, either...?? vOv
I know there are other awesome planet packs that would be nice to have KM support for...
Of course, everything all depends, in the end, on available server/hosted space :P

I'd love to incorporate more planet packs. The biggest roadblocks there are time to extract the maps and appropriate licensing and/or permission from the creators.

The map tiles are stored on AWS, so space is not a concern. Cost might be someday, but for now the charge is low enough that I don't mind paying it on my own.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@CraigCottinghamTechnical question: Can I run one planet in separate runs if I split the .cfg file?

And if so, can I run say the first 5 folders/levels on one PC (laptop) and the last 2 on another, or could that impact the result?

I'm running it on my PC now, but have a laptop that could run a few hours a day as well, but maybe not the full ~12 hours it takes.

Edited by RowBear
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, RowBear said:

@CraigCottinghamTechnical question: Can I run one planet in separate runs if I split the .cfg file?

And if so, can I run say the first 5 folders/levels on one PC (laptop) and the last 2 on another, or could that impact the result?

I'm running it on my PC now, but have a laptop that could run a few hours a day as well, but maybe not the full ~12 hours it takes.

Yes, you can split the config file. However, you can't split it arbitrarily.

A valid config file needs to start with

SigmaCartographer
{

and end with

}

and should contain one or more Maps sections.

The safest way to do this is probably to duplicate the file, then remove Maps sections from each one as desired. Make sure you don't remove the required starting and ending lines as described above.

You should be able to split up the config file into as many pieces as you want to run on as many machines as you want. I'll handle putting the pieces back together when you're done.

Link to post
Share on other sites

That's great, I'll set it up on multiple machines tomorrow.

Enon is finished.
Eve is running and Gilly will start sometime late tonight (Europe) and run through the day. (I know you said to claim only one, but I won't be able to post my claim in the morning.. sorry)

File transfers may take some time, at 10 GB per planet so far, but I have about 20 Mbps upload so it should be doable.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RowBear said:

(I know you said to claim only one, but I won't be able to post my claim in the morning.. sorry)

I only said that because I didn't want someone claiming half of the JNSQ system then extracting maps on something with the power of a Commodore 64. :-)

2 hours ago, RowBear said:

Enon is finished.
Eve is running and Gilly will start sometime late tonight

That's impressive turnaround. What kind of hardware are you running on?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Gilly is still running, and Hamek as well on the laptop.

I was a bit optimistic in my estimate, Gilly only started late afternoon, and then my SSD ran out of space.. :o

The hardware is not too extreme, I do recall selecting a CPU with good single core performance.

The trick is more in not using the PC. It runs 23 hours while I sleep, work and do things about the house. Gets me about 2 planets done per day. Maybe a bit more now with the laptop in the mix for the night.

Progress might slow down if/when I get down to actually playing the game :D

Update: It did actually slow down.. a lot. Gilly level 7 is almost done, after running for 20 hours. Not sure what is the bottleneck now.

Edited by RowBear
Update
Link to post
Share on other sites

Laythe and Moho are done.
Nara and Pol starting.
We're past the halfway mark :D 16 done, 12 to go.

 

Update: Nara and Pol are done, Prax and Riga starting.
Update2: Prax is done. Riga starting again, I made an error with the config. Also starting Talos

Edited by RowBear
Update2
Link to post
Share on other sites

 

2 hours ago, CraigCottingham said:

Thanks for all your work, @RowBear.

I'm happy to help :)

Bop and Celes are done, and if I'm looking at it correctly, they were the last ones.
The archive folders are uploading to OneDrive now, so you should  be able to see them within the hour.
After that, I can add the raw folders for the last few planets to OneDrive if needed, but that will take longer to sync due to the amount of files. (131 064 files, ~ 10GB per planet if anyone wondered :P )

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

A quick program update:

Kerbal Maps 0.5.1 is on the staging environment at https://kerbal-maps-ui-staging.herokuapp.com/. This is a near-complete rewrite of the code, so it's something of a reversion, but I'm working on bringing it back up to feature parity with the production version. Feel free to poke and prod, and please report any issues you encounter to https://github.com/FiniteMonkeys/kerbal-maps-ui/issues (note this is different than the URL in the post at the head of this topic), via DM, or as a reply in this topic.

Many thanks to everyone who has helped out with this update.

Link to post
Share on other sites
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...