Tylo lander 1 crew

bjerrang

Possibly,  but that's cutting it fairly close, especially if you need to rendezvous. If you don't plan to reuse the lander, I'd strongly recommend doing a multi-stage design.   You could do something similar, but have the 4 side tanks drop off.   With each having an engine, and another engine (and some fuel) on the center stack. 

Reuse yes and no stages ofc. Dropped all batteries/rtg and monopropellant to achive this.

Just land , do science then return to spacestation with some fresh tylo gravel.

Tylo station will have a grabber for helping to reach other incliation biomes.

Edited by bjerrang

Here you go. It's a bit busy but has a good TWR and 1000dV to spare. Loads of RCS that you can lower if you are better at docking than me. 

Eq3SNif.png

Craft file here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/9v86nuluct5zbt1/Tylo lander 6.craft?dl=0

Edit: Just spotted your extra requirements. 

Edited by Foxster

7 hours ago, bjerrang said:

Reuse yes and no stages ofc. Dropped all batteries/rtg and monopropellant to achive this.

Just land , do science then return to spacestation with some fresh tylo gravel.

Tylo station will have a grabber for helping to reach other incliation biomes.

Ahhh.  Tough mission then.   You might look at subbing in a Poodle instead of the Dart, and adding in a little more fuel.  The Cheetah and Wolfhound are also good options if you have Making History.

Otherwise, there's not a lot else you can do to raise delta-v.  You could lose the adapter at the top, I suppose.  Other then that,  don't see dead weight to cut, and you probably don't want to lose TWR.

Edited by Aegolius13

Might also be possible with a hybrid setup - one nuke to burn continuously, with a couple chemical v engines (2 Terriers or 4 Sparks maybe) to provide a boost for landing/take off.  But not sure if the fuel savings would justify the extra weight.   May have to try this for future Jool 5 ideas...

Tried a nuke engine from a high altitude , but the twr is awful. Might be better with more engines as you say.

The trick is to get the suicide burn correct on landing. Wasting to much time landing burns all dV

Dont have those cool looking poodle engines.

Guess my setup is a go for next jool window

Edited by bjerrang

My combo nuke / chemical idea did not seem to work out great... could have been I used a bad profile, but I suspect it's just too low TWR to make sense.  

Here's another Poodle-based on to give a little more delta-v margin.  Seems to have plenty of thrust by the time it lands, but the mass is definitely getting up there.  (Tyranny of the Rocket Equation doing its thing.).  

G9jGVGP.png

2 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

Can you rethink the need for a lander can? Going with a chair instead will save some mass and that can go a long way in a case like this.

Given my love to my kerbals i dont think they would be happy in a chair :-)

But that is might the next step if this does not work properly

9 hours ago, bjerrang said:

But that is might the next step if this does not work properly

The inflatable airlock is an option too.  Holds a kerbal in an "enclosed" space for only .1 tons.  Whether your kerbals would consider that more or less palatable than a chair, I dunno.  I'd take the chair myself - better view.

10 hours ago, bjerrang said:

Why not? The ship is for going down to the surface, running a bunch of experiments, and then coming back up. They'll be in the chair for less time than most rover trips.

11 hours ago, bjerrang said:

A player after my own heart!

In my saves, command chairs are for rovers.

OTOH.

1 hour ago, 5thHorseman said:

Why not? The ship is for going down to the surface, running a bunch of experiments, and then coming back up. They'll be in the chair for less time than most rover trips. 

This is a good point.  And Tylo is a vacuum world.  Not some place full of nasty atmo like Eve.

Happy landings!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.