Apollo 11 Movie

tater

So they finally made a prequel to Apollo 13? Nice. /s

I'm guessing this doc will get a theatrical release and not go straight to cable? Otherwise I don't understand why it has the ratings panel at the start of the preview.

There was some discussion recently from one of the archival crews who were working with this production about finding all manner of unprocessed or otherwise unknown footage from ground support, mission control, etc (beyond the 70mm launch footage the trailer mentions). Some of that appears to have made its way into this trailer. 

Edited by Cydonian Monk

2 minutes ago, Dman979 said:

I just found out about this, and BOOM there's a thread already. Way to steal my thunder, @tater.

Doesn't it look great? I had goosebumps during the trailer.

Who needs fictional stories when RL was far more interesting.

On 1/28/2019 at 6:44 PM, Kerbart said:

Wow, Hollywood is really ramping up. First the Armstrong movie, then the Apollo 11 documentary that’s slated to come out soon, and now an Apollo 11 movie as well?

You know what this means? 

Hollywood movie people think the Space Race is cool enough to make a bunch of movies out of.

Normal laypeople who go to watch movies are going to see movies about pioneers of space and think "That is cool!"

Renewed interest in real space exploration from those people, they start to find out that there is a lot of new, current innovation in spaceflight and a sort of modern space race as SpaceX, BO, NASA, etc. race to reach the Moon and Mars.

They become more and more supportive of these ventures with the movies showing them a part of why space travel is important. The modern space industry thrives as we get almost a whole society hooked on the idea of people going to space, and we soon become able to return to the Moon, develop the technologies needed for Mars, and go there too.

One could wonder why it took so long after Apollo 13, but it's probably the upcoming 50th anniversary that got Hollywood interested in this stuff again. Other considerations would be that much of the population isn't old enough to remember the landings (I was 2yo during the last landing), and that China is showing interest in a Moon base.

14 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

One could wonder why it took so long after Apollo 13, but it's probably the upcoming 50th anniversary that got Hollywood interested in this stuff again. Other considerations would be that much of the population isn't old enough to remember the landings (I was 2yo during the last landing), and that China is showing interest in a Moon base.

It was that, plus the discovery of a huge cache of 65mm film that was shot.

On 2/3/2019 at 1:58 AM, cubinator said:

Hollywood movie people think the Space Race is cool enough to make a bunch of movies out of.

Normal laypeople who go to watch movies are going to see movies about pioneers of space and think "That is cool!"

Renewed interest in real space exploration from those people, they start to find out that there is a lot of new, current innovation in spaceflight and a sort of modern space race as SpaceX, BO, NASA, etc. race to reach the Moon and Mars.

They become more and more supportive of these ventures with the movies showing them a part of why space travel is important. The modern space industry thrives as we get almost a whole society hooked on the idea of people going to space, and we soon become able to return to the Moon, develop the technologies needed for Mars, and go there too.

Sorry to rain IRFNA on your parade, but public support for spaceflight is already at an all-time high. And it wasn’t even a solid majority back in the Apollo days.

So I’m not sure Hollywood can help.

Edited by DDE

4 minutes ago, DDE said:

Sorry to rain IRFNA on your parade, but public support for spaceflight is already at an all-time high. And it wasn’t even a solid majority back in the Apollo days.

So I’m not sure Hollywood can help.

It's not hurting. 

10 hours ago, cubinator said:

It's not hurting. 

On a basic level, true.

But the big problem is,

On 2/3/2019 at 1:58 AM, cubinator said:

They become more and more supportive of these ventures with the movies showing them a part of why space travel is important.

those docudramas will either not show it, or they will depict the stunt mentality of the Space Race. The stunt mentality would lead to a strong dissonance with the perception of the modern era of international cooperation and/or commercialization - in the West, that is; the way the camera caresses Soviet iconography in Time of the First and Salyut 7, filmed under a grant from the Russian government, is unambiguous.

Depictions of the near future can just as dissonant. For example, it would be interesting to investigate how many people came out of the theater wondering why The Martian depicted a NASA mission since, as observed with a lot of novice commenters on r/space, there’s a perception that SpaceX has supplanted NASA entirely.

NatGeo’s Mars tries to tackle it, and the result looks weird: they have a completely corporate-operated expedition with a mixture of funding by a billionaire and a bunch of governments, joined later by the evil Lukrum corporation which extracts oil, err, water for sale to... whom, exactly? That international expedition is searching for evidence of life... while also working with a Chinese space outpost to terraform Mars via orbital reflectors?

Oh, and a lot of emergencies are created for the sake of drama, and everyone is permanently depressed - which is strongly dissonant with the optimism projected by the talking heads in the documentary segments (when it wasn’t a giant SpaceX advert).

Space popularizer Neil DeGrasse Tyson (who reacts to a television camera the same way that my dog reacted to a rumpling potato chip bag) provided the best description of Mars as a place to live. Tyson noted that superficially, Mars seems a lot like Earth, with an atmosphere, seasons, even water. But this is all deceptive, and Mars is cold, dry, and more hostile than anyplace on Earth.

Hell, their depressive depiction of spaceflight goes right into unrealistic territory, because actual space fliers can at least crack a joke and are trained to respond to adversity constructively. In fact, of the entire cast of charecters only the villain is having any fun at all 

So if “Hollywood” wants to popularize spaceflight effectively, they face some very tough questions, and I’m pretty sure with the current quality of writing and the research behind it in high-budget films they’re not going to provide consistent answers.

Edited by DDE

• 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.