My First SRB To Orbit Rocket!

So today I made my first SRB Only to Orbit Rocket! It can get into orbit with some fuel remaining to attempt a Trans-Munar Injection, but I wasn't able too.

Here is a video on the craft and if you want to download it there will be a link below:

https://kerbalx.com/JohnsterSpaceProgram/SRB-To-Orbit-Rocket

Here are images of some prototypes of the final design:

siTS4pe.png

aoaoqht.png

ZhKZOXZ.png

And here is the final design:

yYjLqwc.png

Have you made an only SRB Rocket that can get into orbit yet? If so, tell me below and post some images of it! :cool:

I have!  The real trick is getting something to orbit using ONLY Sepratrons.  I got pretty far with getting an Mk1 pod up once, but things started getting weird once I was lighting a couple hundred of the things at once.

BTW your rockets will go together a lot nicer if you turn on angle snap.  It's the one green.

62screenshot373.png

When it's a hexagon instead of a circle, everything snaps all nice, and you won't get your radially attached parts being attached at a slight off angle like you have there.

37 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

I have!  The real trick is getting something to orbit using ONLY Sepratrons.  I got pretty far with getting an Mk1 pod up once, but things started getting weird once I was lighting a couple hundred of the things at once.

BTW your rockets will go together a lot nicer if you turn on angle snap.  It's the one green.

62screenshot373.png

When it's a hexagon instead of a circle, everything snaps all nice, and you won't get your radially attached parts being attached at a slight off angle like you have there.

ok, thanks! I will use it next time for the sepratrons on the orbiter stage.

A long time ago in KSP 1.1.0, Valentina used a single Kickback SRB to get to LKO...

Spoiler

NuefxSE.png

The launch vehicle uses only a single fully fueled Kickback SRB

lFaBgb5.png

At the end of the ride, Valentina was in a 171x78km orbit.

Full album: https://imgur.com/a/7Q0pt (not sure if this works anymore, imgur seems to have killed the albums feature since yesterday.)

Here is my SRB only "Smart Powder" Mun Rocket. 43 tons at launch, with 1 kickback, 2 thumpers and 44 separatrons.

Hammer and Flea must be avoided at all cost as they have poor TWR and poor ISP.

Spoiler

C1vERhf.png
W9Ip5Y3.png
FEQjnir.png
8EolEfl.png
iTlpWHo.png

It's a cool and fun challenge (there is a lowest mass SRB Mun challenge thread somewhere). Try it.

This was way back in 0.90 but I was using FAR.

It didn't actually get orbit on SRBs only, but based on the numbers it easily could have. I wasn't going for orbit, though. I was going for Mun. :)

Actually, now that I've watched your video (and read your post :P )I see that you too were Mun bound.

If I may critique, I found that my method (start big) is much more mass efficient.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.