Nerdiest Spreadsheet You've Made

HobbitJack

Hello!

For a school project, I am the treasurer and had to create a little spreadsheet to keep track of expenditures, but over the course of an hour-and-a-half, it ballooned into a full-blown budgeting spreadsheet complete with charts, excess tables, hidden math and more! I know spreadsheets are considered a "nerdy" tool, and now I see why! Other than this, the only other spreadsheet I can think of would be a little nerdy would be to keep track of my KSP launch vehicles. What is/was your nerdiest spreadsheet?

Because I could, really.

I ended up ruling out one of my dice for being probably unfair, and dice that seemed unfair were found to probably not be unfair.  Also, one of my co-workers yelling about me repeatedly rolling dice during lunch. :)

Back in the 90s when the Cleveland Indians were good, I made up a whole spreadsheet where I put in their hits, runs, bases, wins, and several other stats, for each game. Then using simple math I calculated what you'd expect for the end of the year based on the averages to date. Then, when the year was over, I went back and looked at how that average evolved over time to see when you could expect to be able to say with a fair certainty how well they'd do by the end of the year, based on current progress.

The idea was to do it for several years - or even for several teams. I had no real reason except curiosity.

The next year I couldn't be bothered.

Mine, by far, is the one I built for KSP. It:

• Keeps track of planned maneuvers and launches
  • Calculates what engine and how much fuel to use on a stage based on delta-V requirements for the stage
  • Calculates the delta-V added by various booster configurations
  • Calculates the delta-V requirements for orbital maneuvers around various bodies
  • Calculates the delta-V requirements to escape orbit around a planet to a solar orbit at a specific apsis
  • etc etc

It's here if you want to try it out: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1YXN06keUEW7AkaMWv12g9aj7FWreLvEk

Feedback is appreciated; eventually I'll release it as a tool for the community

MainStage-dV.PNG

When I was learning PowerBI, my first project was re-watching the entirety of X-files and track on a spreadsheet, for each episode: a 5 star rating, a theme and mood (e.g., "Conspiracy/Action"), how many aliens appeared, whether it was myth arc or not, and human/alien/offscreen body counts (which I took from a blog rather than counting myself). A few episodes have previously-assumed deceased characters reappearing, that messed up some things...

It turns out, I really love the drama episodes. Monster-of-the-Week, only if they're silly episodes (and the one with Bruce Campbell in it BECAUSE BRUCE CAMPBELL). And the decline post 5th season is ~palpable.

I also once made a spaceship spreadsheet, but I accounted for things like heat generation, solar panel mass, energy generation efficiency, everything I could scavenge from the much beloved Atomic Rockets website.

the most convoluted spreadsheet i have is probably the one i use for my mechwarrior online stats. i also had a few for some aerodynamics stuff for a physics heavy mod to a not so physics heavy space sim.

This one, made for a challenge I never finished: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fJP9cZntjaAWeXIlD-A2nt1iIQphlqFImMWEs7TVLyk/edit?usp=sharing 

It tracks transfer windows between Duna and Kerbin, and can be scaled so you can fit as many days as you like in each cell. It also shows how often rockets can launch, based on challenge rules. It never worked perfectly though, it breaks with small launchers and large step sizes.

On 1/30/2019 at 3:29 PM, razark said:

Because I could, really.

I ended up ruling out one of my dice for being probably unfair, and dice that seemed unfair were found to probably not be unfair.  Also, one of my co-workers yelling about me repeatedly rolling dice during lunch. :)

Spoiler

On 1/30/2019 at 9:25 PM, 5thHorseman said:

Back in the 90s when the Cleveland Indians were good

Go Tribe!

I do a lot of woodturning.  Ie, I put wood on a lathe, it goes round and round, and I cut it into (hopefully) circular shapes.   I like to make segmented bowls a lot:

bwbowls.jpg

These  requires a lot of preplanning.  I have to figure the exact dimensions of every brick in the bowl, so I designed a spreadsheet to accept the general planned dimensions of each layer in the bowl, and it will spit out the exact size of trapezoid I have to cut each block to.  It also figures out the total amount of stock I require, including accounting for  the saw kerf (the amount of waste caused by cutting the wood), and the little bit I require on the end so I can hold onto it without losing a finger.   Plus it can estimate material costs for me. 

And then, I made it draw the shape of the bowl on a separate page.  It will take the dimensions I entered in to the SS, and on the next sheet, it will resize the columns and rows, and then color them to draw a cross sectional cut of what the bowl will look like.   that allows me to tweak the dimensions of the bowl so I can get the profile to look like I want it too.

26 minutes ago, razark said:

Those are pretty.

Those aren't mine, I'm not on my normal machine, so I don't have access to my crop of pics for this.  I did want a pic that shows the various bricks and how they are assembled prior to turning. 

Here's a better one:

seg-blank-2-t.jpg

And here is a mug I made as a gift, made from a bunch of exotic wood I had leftover in my scrap box, found the pic I posted elsewhere:

2017_05_14_00793.thumb.JPG.892a5948cfc1a

And if we want, we could start a woodworking or general making thread, I don't want to derail this one. 

10 hours ago, Gargamel said:

Those aren't mine, I'm not on my normal machine, so I don't have access to my crop of pics for this.  I did want a pic that shows the various bricks and how they are assembled prior to turning. 

Here's a better one:

seg-blank-2-t.jpg

And here is a mug I made as a gift, made from a bunch of exotic wood I had leftover in my scrap box, found the pic I posted elsewhere:

2017_05_14_00793.thumb.JPG.892a5948cfc1a

And if we want, we could start a woodworking or general making thread, I don't want to derail this one. 

That's great! Just one complaint I have, if I may. Same colored blocks sitting next to each other on the same layer bother me for some reason.

16 hours ago, Shpaget said:

Same colored blocks sitting next to each other on the same layer bother me for some reason.

Yup, me too.   But the math worked out that I could make each ring the same thickness, and then turn them down to the correct profile.  I had to make the bottom half a specific diameter though to perfectly fit in her cupholder in her car.    So because i could make each block identical, I knew I could randomly pull each block out of a box to make each ring, so I did.   So that is a pure random distribution of the blocks I had on hand. 

That's the problem with random. Sometimes it produces results that don't look random.

There was an ccasion where I had a randomly generated list that just felt wrong so I manually shuffled it a bit to look better.

Anyway, we're derailing the thread. Maybe it is time for a dedicated thread.

On 1/31/2019 at 8:09 PM, monstah said:

When I was learning PowerBI, my first project was re-watching the entirety of X-files and track on a spreadsheet, for each episode: a 5 star rating, a theme and mood (e.g., "Conspiracy/Action"), how many aliens appeared, whether it was myth arc or not, and human/alien/offscreen body counts (which I took from a blog rather than counting myself).

Up to this point this is the nerdiest in my opinion so far. :D

Just for the sheer lack of practical use.

Close follow-up is the dice selection one.

I made an excel sheet for creating Shadowrun characters at some point in my twenties - 3rd Edition ... I think.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.