Make upgradeable space suits!!!

I think it would be cool if it would be necessary to upgrade the space suits as the game progresses.

eg. At the start, the space suits would not have their own tanks and would rely on staying close to the ship to keep a kerbal alive (Maybe have something like a pipe attached to the suit so that the kerbal can't just float away.) The second update would feature an oxygen tank, the next: RCS thrusters. They could be upgraded in the Research Facility.

What do you think?

Hmmm... I like it. I like it. As you get more and more parts, you go farther and farther from Kerbin's atmosphere, and you need better and better tech to survive. Now that Squad has implemented Kerbals dying without their helmets on, perhaps if you didn't wear the proper suit and went to certain places, your Kerbals would die upon leaving the ship. For example, if you wanted to walk on Eve, you would need a better suit because of the atmospheric pressure and gravity.  

You could further expand on this by unlocking a few new suits in the "experimental" section of the tech tree. These advanced suits could be good for certain things, such as a pressure suit for walking on Eve, or a heat suit for going close to the sun.

I like this. 

31 minutes ago, Nebbie said:

I'd definitely like EVA packs to be an unlock, but first we would need some kind of tether feature. There's just no tethering system in KSP, which is one of the huge differences between real EVAs and KSP EVAs.

I think KAS did such a thing

Almost four years ago (!!!) I suggested special reflective suits for EVAs closer to Kerbol, totally underrated source of missions. No response.

I agree with upgradeable suits but that would require simple tethers to be developed - also a good idea.

38 minutes ago, Rover 6428 said:

I think KAS did such a thing

Yes, but not personal tethers. Only a goofy cable that invokes the Kraken.

It would be very nice if we had a short personal tether.

8 hours ago, The Aziz said:

I mean, you can't go EVA anywhere else than on the ground unless you get certain facility upgrade, so I guess that counts as upgrade of spacesuit.

I found myself doing an EVA when I was in space (first tier AC)

22 hours ago, Duck McFuddle said:

You could further expand on this by unlocking a few new suits in the "experimental" section of the tech tree. These advanced suits could be good for certain things, such as a pressure suit for walking on Eve, or a heat suit for going close to the sun.

Good idea. Heat suit for Moho, pressure suit for Eve, radiation suit for Jool's moons.

Also, what about specialized research into ground EVA suits, without which Kerbals can still go EVA on, say, Duna, but have greatly reduced movement speed? RL suits are anything but agile on the ground, so you're not going to be running around on Mars without something more lightweight.

How about this: suit weight and local gravity inversely proportionally determine the impact threshold at which kerbals go ragdoll. Heavy suits ragdoll later in vacuum but earlier in gravity, light suits ragdoll earlier in vacuum but later in gravity.

What if the spacesuits looked like the original NASA spacesuits. So the first level would look like the Mercury suits, then Gemini, then Apollo (the normal suites). And the Russian suites are just always there.

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.