a testing area

i think it would be nice if they added in a sort of testing area based on the other planets.

you could launch from the VAB, or SPH into it, it could give you the option of different scenarios based on planets (mun, in space, min, etc) and it would just be a sample of the planets geography and gravity for testing things like rovers and landing and such, could give some start up paramaters to (vertical height, vert velocity, horzontal vel. etc) so we could learn how our vehicles behave in certain conditions withought flying all the way their, or using the debug menu.

it could even add a new use for probes, make all the different planets locked at first and the only way to unlock them for testing is to send a probe with a scanner of some sort to the planet and radio back/recover the data.

i think this would be really helpful.

11 minutes ago, putnamto said:

i think it would be nice if they added in a sort of testing area based on the other planets.

There is of course hyperedit; want to test a spacecraft, hyperedit it to the target (The stock chest menu does a similar thing, but hyperedit is better). Otherwise, not knowing how spavecraft will perform is s part of the challenge of the game, I suppose. Also, you can try the alien space programs mod, to move around the ksc to other planets, for a more extreme solution.

1 hour ago, Ozymandias_the_Goat said:

There is of course hyperedit; want to test a spacecraft, hyperedit it to the target (The stock chest menu does a similar thing, but hyperedit is better). Otherwise, not knowing how spavecraft will perform is s part of the challenge of the game, I suppose. Also, you can try the alien space programs mod, to move around the ksc to other planets, for a more extreme solution.

i think a stock solution would be better.

F12 is stock - just use it to move your craft into orbit around any stellar body you want. I test landers and rovers with this regularly. Yes, you have to land the rovers first, but that's not the end of the world.

Edited by Tyko

Build your craft in your career/science mode, save it, and then load it up in a sandbox save.   Launch it, cheat it to the start point of whatever mission it is on.  For example, If you're building an Eve lander, just cheat it into Eve orbit so you can practice the descent, landing, and ascent.   Once you have the bugs worked out, load your modified craft back into your career game, and then build the launcher to get it there. 

That's the beauty of sandbox, it is your test platform if needed. 

1 hour ago, Tyko said:

F12 is stock - just use it to move your craft into orbit around any stellar body you want. I test landers and rovers with this regularly. Yes, you have to land the rovers first, but that's not the end of the world.

I do this all the time too but I'd like a bit more flexibility.

I know the orbit is going to intersect the ground.  That's okay I'm fine with it. Stop changing my numbers to safe ones. A landing cheat would be nice, too.

3 hours ago, putnamto said:

so, im the only one that would love the idea of just clicking launch from the VAB and clicking test-mun instead of doing all these tedious work arounds/mods/using the debug menu?

I think it's a cool idea! I guess that after a few years of seeing so many great ideas get ignored I just always ask if there's a way I can do it today - with stock or with a mod - so I can actually experience a great idea in my lifetime  :)  

Edited by Tyko

3 hours ago, putnamto said:

so, im the only one that would love the idea of just clicking launch from the VAB and clicking test-mun instead of doing all these tedious work arounds/mods/using the debug menu?

I think it would add clutter to the ui that's not needed. The cheat menu's the perfect place for it IMO.

1 hour ago, 5thHorseman said:

I think it would add clutter to the ui that's not needed. The cheat menu's the perfect place for it IMO.

i dont really agree that it would clutter the ui, it could just be put into the same menu as the desert runway and woomarang

5 hours ago, putnamto said:

You might be the only one wanting it from the VAB,
but directly above your post is a wish to have the debug-menu method much less tedious, by extending set-orbit to allow orbits that intersect the ground, and a set-landed option.  (A set-orbit without the altitude restriction, plus hack-gravity, would be almost enough.)

I once used the Making History Missions system to place craft for testing, but found it much too tedious.

Using the debug menu to place craft on other bodies would keep the things you do for simulation and testing clearly separate from what you do in the 'real missions'.

3 hours ago, OHara said:

You might be the only one wanting it from the VAB,
but directly above your post is a wish to have the debug-menu method much less tedious, by extending set-orbit to allow orbits that intersect the ground, and a set-landed option.  (A set-orbit without the altitude restriction, plus hack-gravity, would be almost enough.)

I once used the Making History Missions system to place craft for testing, but found it much too tedious.

Using the debug menu to place craft on other bodies would keep the things you do for simulation and testing clearly separate from what you do in the 'real missions'.

i like this, would be better if they had options in the hack gravity to set it to exact gravity of certain bodies.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/31/2019 at 8:45 PM, putnamto said:

I like the idea, I wanted a testing facility a year back that allowed for wind tunnel testing as well

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.