Anyone else play Oolite?

maceemiller

Hi there.

So I'm a 45yo bloke who loves KSP but last night I stumbled across a "remake" of my ultimate favourite game from when I was about 12....the brilliant Elite :)

Downloaded it and within seconds was transported back to my youth.

Does anybody else play Oolite?

Edited by maceemiller

i used to. but having played every version of og elite and this being more or less of the same, ive say i played it to death. its why i havent spent more than 15 minutes in elite dangerous. i really need to dust that off and give it a serious playthrough.

I played Elite (wire-frame, no polygons or fancy colors) on my Apple //c that I bought with my paper route money. That and Lode Runner were my two most favorite games back then.

I've played Oolite a few times over the years, but not  looked at it in... a decade? I really don't know. I should check it out again, especially after the sad time I had playing Elite: Dangerous.

EDIT:

Holy cow the last time I played Oolite it was wireframe, too! Now I gots to try this.

banner1.jpg

Edited by 5thHorseman

15 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

I played Elite (wire-frame, no polygons or fancy colors) on my Apple //c that I bought with my paper route money. That and Lode Runner were my two most favorite games back then.

I've played Oolite a few times over the years, but not  looked at it in... a decade? I really don't know. I should check it out again, especially after the sad time I had playing Elite: Dangerous.

EDIT:

Holy cow the last time I played Oolite it was wireframe, too! Now I gots to try this.

banner1.jpg

Yeah it's very good now....I've got a few "mods" installed....background sounds etc.

I have to admit I've never played Dangerous but this....this is my Friday nights entertainment sorted.....

1 hour ago, Nuke said:

i actually think i liked mostly harmless (or was it new kind, i dont remember) better. not that i can find it anymore. 

I'm presuming your talking about a game? If so I don't  know it but will certainly search for "it"

1 hour ago, Nuke said:

i actually think i liked mostly harmless (or was it new kind, i dont remember) better. not that i can find it anymore. 

Your saying "Mostly Harmless" for some reason made me realize for the first time, Elite: Dangerous is an odd name. "The Best: Kinda high in the rankings."

22 minutes ago, maceemiller said:

I'm presuming your talking about a game? If so I don't  know it but will certainly search for "it"

it was one of the multitude of elite clones. alas if you google for it you either get elite dangerous, or the elite books, or star wars stuff.

I've dabbled with Oolite quite a bit. Though admittedly my main frustrations about the game are its tediousness (it can take forever to get anywhere) and the fact that pirates are everywhere. The mass-locking system is a pain in the ass without fuel injectors, too. But I do find myself sometimes hooked, and end up playing for hours -- and dying more than once. I save and load my game all the time, and I have zero shame.

Hi all 

I've played a bit, perhaps hoping to recapture the glorious memories of Elite on SpectraVideo 328. I don't know if it is the different between being 14 and ... er much, much older than 14, but I really suck at OOlite. Is it much harder than the original or am I just so much slower. Flip side: I still rock at docking with the space stations. That skill set hasn't gone away. 

Regards

Orc

Coincidentally started it up recently. Funny how these things work.

I was able to annoy some pirates enough with the little peashooter you start out with to make them tell me to leave them alone. Or maybe it was because I rammed them with my ship...

Edited by GearsNSuch

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.