SSRSS Community Support Group

Tyko

- A place for others still playing Galileo's SSRSS to share ideas about how to keep this great mod working -

NOTE: This is not a relaunch or a revival. Nor is it a petition to the author or attempt to get support from him. He locked his SSRSS thread and AFAIK there are no plans to change that. We are here to help each other.

For those interested in trying this out, the SSRSS mod is still up on GitHub. - Remember, this is unsupported, so be prepared to work things out for yourself -

Install Instructions: (additional detail on the Github site)

1. Download Kopernicus: https://github.com/Kopernicus/Kopernicus/releases
  2. Download and install RSS: https://github.com/KSP-RO/RealSolarSystem/releases (ONLY install the RealSolarSystem folder. The bundled Kopernicus and ModularFlightIntegrator is outdated)
  3. Download and install RSS TEXTURES: https://github.com/KSP-RO/RSS-Textures/releases
  4. Install Sigma Dimensions: https://github.com/Sigma88/Sigma-Dimensions/releases
  5. Install the SSRSS folder into your GameData folder: https://github.com/Galileo88/SSRSSContinued

CKAN Install: I've had success setting CKAN to accept KSP 1.3 files and installing SSRSS that way. Feel free to try it :) 

FAQ

• Does this work with newer versions of KSP?
    • Several of us have had success using the current version of Kopernicus. That said your mileage may vary, especially with regards to other mods.
  • How do I get help / support?
    • This is very "Do it Yourself". Before asking questions please read carefully through the install instructions and try to solve it. If you figure something out feel free to share :) 
  • Can this mod get re-released?
    • There are no plans now and AFAIK the author doesn't intend to either. If you have modding skills and want to adopt it I would ask Galileo directly.
  • Can anyone (fix this) / (change that) / (Make it work with X)?
    • Only if we can do it ourselves. We can't expect support from the author and we aren't going to ask.

Original locked thread here: Still a lot of good info on there if you want to read through it: 

Edited by Tyko

First! Glad to see that this mod is getting some love again, it was always a crucial part of an install. I'm trying to put one together again and will probably post about my efforts later tonight. Problems that need to be worked out at the moment are chiefly that the KSC spawns underground and finding a way to fix that.

4 hours ago, theJesuit said:

Yes I would be grateful at getting this mod to work properly.

Peace.

I thought you'd join in, I recall you jumping on another thread last year. Have you had any success getting it working?

56 minutes ago, Tyko said:

I thought you'd join in

You got me.

To be fair its been too long a journey with my other mods.  So I haven't had a chance... yet.  I have no idea how to fix an issue with KSC being underground. 

Peace.

3 hours ago, theJesuit said:

You got me.

To be fair its been too long a journey with my other mods.  So I haven't had a chance... yet.  I have no idea how to fix an issue with KSC being underground. 

Peace.

Actually @Rock3tman_  and I were trouble shooting that today.. 

Edited by Tyko

@theJesuit  I think @Rock3tman_ solved this today. His config (below) is for a 2.5x scaled system, so it'll probably park the KSC way up in the air. The fix is to lower the  repositionRadiusOffset = 810 value. I'm not sure what value you'll need, so it'll take some trial and error. If you do figure it out please let everyone know. 

Spoiler

// Adjusts KSC to have proper elevation in a 2.5x scale
// This version is adjusted for a 2.5x Sigma rescale of the solar system. Works with SSRSS_Sigma2.5xx24Hour_Tyko.cfg

@Kopernicus:FINAL
{
    // Earth
    @Body[Kerbin]
    {
        !SpaceCenter {}

SpaceCenter
        {
            // PQSCity
            latitude = 28.608389
            longitude = -81.2
            lodvisibleRangeMult = 6
            repositionRadiusOffset = 810
            reorientFinalAngle = -9.395667

// MapDecal
            decalLatitude = 28.608389
            decalLongitude = -81.2
            heightMapDeformity = 80
            absoluteOffset = 0
            absolute = true
            radius = 10000

groundColor = 0.15, 0.26, 0.04, 0.2
            groundTexture = BUILTIN/terrain_grass00_new
        }
    }
}

I have it running , but I haven't tried using Scatterer yet.

The big issue we're aware of is the KSC being placed below ground level. The fix is to adjust the repositionRadiusOffset = XXX   to raise it up. Not sure what the correct setting is for stock scale. 810 works for a 2.5x scaled system, so somewhere between zero and 810 will place it at the correct level. You can use the config below and try different values.

If you do figure it out please post the answer  :)

Spoiler

@Kopernicus:FINAL
{
    // Earth
    @Body[Kerbin]
    {
        !SpaceCenter {}

SpaceCenter
        {
            // PQSCity
            latitude = 28.608389
            longitude = -81.2
            lodvisibleRangeMult = 6
            repositionRadiusOffset = 810
            reorientFinalAngle = -9.395667

// MapDecal
            decalLatitude = 28.608389
            decalLongitude = -81.2
            heightMapDeformity = 80
            absoluteOffset = 0
            absolute = true
            radius = 10000

groundColor = 0.15, 0.26, 0.04, 0.2
            groundTexture = BUILTIN/terrain_grass00_new
        }
    }
}

I have been running SSRSS in 1.6.1 with MH for about the past week. Only issues I've had are no clouds. Not a game ender for me, because potato netbook.

The desert airfield spawns in Central Pacific on a little sand island it creates. Island airfield spawns in the Amazon basin.Woomerang is on the coast west of Japn

I have had no problems as far as underwater spawns etc.

I basically just used the absolute latest version of every listed dependency, and ignore the the two warnings on startup.

5t0qNDy.png

20 hours ago, Dafni said:

Are you guys running it on 1.6.1 fine now? I believe once the scatterer update drops I cant justify 1.3.1 anymore.

Edited by Ratwerke_Actual
Fix link

6 minutes ago, Tyko said:

@Ratwerke_Actual  SSRSS has a clouds pack that works with EVE. Have you tried that? There are three different quality levels, so the LQ might work for you

Yes, and thanks. Unfortunately, potato.

I am so at the limit of what this poor netbook can do. (Lenovoflex14).

Edited by Ratwerke_Actual
spec machine

• 4 weeks later...

EDIT: Ignore, I didn't have the right parachute mod installed. Now the descent speeds are like my previous games.

Hey all. I've used stock and RSS, but found RSS a bit too difficult and decided to try SSRSS instead.
One thing that I found and am not sure if this is normal...the Mk-16 parachute on a typical Mk1 capsule only slows it down to about ~9.5m/second. In stock, this was usually a much lower and safer ~4.5m/second.

Is this possibly normal for SSRSS and I need to double-up on parachutes? Or do your Mk-16 parachutes behave like stock? Thanks. :)

Edited by Starfire70

14 hours ago, Starfire70 said:

EDIT: Ignore, I didn't have the right parachute mod installed. Now the descent speeds are like my previous games.

Hey all. I've used stock and RSS, but found RSS a bit too difficult and decided to try SSRSS instead.
One thing that I found and am not sure if this is normal...the Mk-16 parachute on a typical Mk1 capsule only slows it down to about ~9.5m/second. In stock, this was usually a much lower and safer ~4.5m/second.

Is this possibly normal for SSRSS and I need to double-up on parachutes? Or do your Mk-16 parachutes behave like stock? Thanks. :)

Hmmm..not sure. I haven't noticed that. AFAIK the atmosphere properties might be a bit different than stock, but I wouldn't expect half the drag. 

I figured out the parachute issue...I didn't have my favorite parachute mod installed, RealChute.

Another question though: Galileo lists 2 updates for SSRSS:

A high detail preset, and a part max pressure patch (PartMaxPressure.cfg).

I added the high detail config, but not sure what to do with the PartMaxPressure.cfg file or even if it is necessary. Do I just drop that into the GameData/SSRSS/configs folder? Is it a necessary patch?

Thanks!

It increases the max pressure of all parts so they don't get crushed from atmospheric pressure. I don't recall how high it goes. I thought there were notes with it - either as a separate txt file or as part of the cfg file itself.

Edited by Tyko

Hello Tyko & Co.

I was pointed by Eridan to this post since I wanted to try this great mod again and could find no information beyond the original locked thread. Everthing looks so mysterious regarding the original SSRSS...

Anyway, I understand the spirit of this thread and will contribute to the general knowledge as I attempt to install it all. I will try both, for KSP 1.3.1 and for the current version and see what happens. Along with that, I'm looking to try it with Scatterer and EVE (I can't understand realism without clouds). Also, I want that old Brazilian SC located at the Amazon's delta, right on the Equator, and various mods that add to realistic-looking parts.

Thanks for creating a place where we can support each other!

1 hour ago, Supermarine said:

I'm looking to try it with Scatterer and EVE (I can't understand realism without clouds). Also, I want that old Brazilian SC located at the Amazon's delta, right on the Equator, and various mods that add to realistic-looking parts.

Scatterer v0.0324 appears to work just fine with it. Also just an FYI that Galileo88 added a dedicated clouds mod for SSRSS, it's on CKAN as "Stock Size Real Solar System - High Res Clouds" (or Low Res Clouds)

With respect to date/time, how do I get Kronometer to integrate with SSRSS? Or should I just copy over "RSSDateTime" folder from the GameData on my pure RSS install?

Ok, as a first test, I tried to download and install following strictly the instructions here and in the official locked thread.

Notoriously, nobody ever mentions any version, and with 5 hard requirements I suppose problems are bound to happen. I performed a fresh install of Kerbal Space Program v1.3.1.

For the record, I used--in that order:

1.- Kopernicus-1.3.1-2

2.- RealSolarSystem_v13.1

3.- Textures 8192 (I understand these are 4K)

4.- Sigma-Dimensions.v0.10.1

5.- SSRSS.v0.0.3.2

6.- Kronometer.v1.6.0-1

Twice I tried. The game crashed gloriously mid-loading.

The last version of SSRSS is from february 1, 2018. The previously immediate available version for that is Kopernicus 1.3.1-2. I guess that, since active development seems to have ceased at the mentioned date, then this version would be the most adequate (also from comments in the locked thread). Real Solar System I used the one from april 1, 2018. Not the latest, but it specifies it is the one for KSP 1.3.1. The textures I tried the latest and hoped that it would not matter, same with Sigma. SSRSS is also the latest one available on GitHub (v0.0.3.1) as opposed to the one mentioned as last in the locked thread (v0.0.3.1).

This first test used the most recent versions from Sigma, Kronometer and Textures. I will look for more closely dated versions and try again.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.