SSRSS Community Support Group

Tyko

12 minutes ago, Supermarine said:

Ok, as a first test, I tried to download and install following strictly the instructions here and in the official locked thread.

Notoriously, nobody ever mentions any version, and with 5 hard requirements I suppose problems are bound to happen. I performed a fresh install of Kerbal Space Program v1.3.1.

For the record, I used--in that order:

1.- Kopernicus-1.3.1-2

2.- RealSolarSystem_v13.1

3.- Textures 8192 (I understand these are 4K)

4.- Sigma-Dimensions.v0.10.1

5.- SSRSS.v0.0.3.2

6.- Kronometer.v1.6.0-1

Twice I tried. The game crashed gloriously mid-loading.

The last version of SSRSS is from february 1, 2018. The previously immediate available version for that is Kopernicus 1.3.1-2. I guess that, since active development seems to have ceased at the mentioned date, then this version would be the most adequate (also from comments in the locked thread). Real Solar System I used the one from april 1, 2018. Not the latest, but it specifies it is the one for KSP 1.3.1. The textures I tried the latest and hoped that it would not matter, same with Sigma. SSRSS is also the latest one available on GitHub (v0.0.3.1) as opposed to the one mentioned as last in the locked thread (v0.0.3.1).

This first test used the most recent versions from Sigma, Kronometer and Textures. I will look for more closely dated versions and try again.

Tried again with same steps as above, only substituting #2 for RSS version 12.0 instead of v13.1 (from December 7, 2016). I only used the RSS folder, as per instructions. Crashed again at mid-launch.

Then tried again with v12.0 for RSS, and Sigma v0.9.4 (it states that it is for both KSP 1.3.1 and Kopernicus 1.3.1-2). This time, the game launching process ended, the yellow bar filled correctly and the black "loading" screen with the small solar system at the bottom right of the screen briefly appeared, before crashing again.

Tried again entirely removing Kronometer. It worked! Sadly, all planets except from the Earth and Moon alook like texture-less, shadowless white billiard balls. Saturn's rings look good, though.

19 minutes ago, Supermarine said:

Tried again with same steps as above, only substituting #2 for RSS version 12.0 instead of v13.1 (from December 7, 2016). I only used the RSS folder, as per instructions. Crashed again at mid-launch.

Then tried again with v12.0 for RSS, and Sigma v0.9.4 (it states that it is for both KSP 1.3.1 and Kopernicus 1.3.1-2). This time, the game launching process ended, the yellow bar filled correctly and the black "loading" screen with the small solar system at the bottom right of the screen briefly appeared, before crashing again.

Tried again entirely removing Kronometer. It worked! Sadly, all planets except from the Earth and Moon alook like texture-less, shadowless white billiard balls. Saturn's rings look good, though.

Just use CKAN to install 'SSRSS Continued' on KSP 1.3.1. CKAN will automatically add the other dependencies.
That worked out brilliantly for me.
You'll also need to install the Real Solar System Textures (whichever size you need).

4 minutes ago, Starfire70 said:

Just use CKAN to install 'SSRSS Continued' on KSP 1.3.1. CKAN will automatically add the other dependencies.
You'll also need to install the Real Solar System Textures (whichever size you need).

Sadly, not all mods I like and use are supported by CKAN :(

So far, after getting SSRSS to work, I installed EVE with no noticeable results (I might have to configure it, but the locked thread mentioned something about configs already in the files). Also, there's still the texture problem for non-home celestial bodies...

@Supermarine you could try Kopernicus 1.3.1-7

I'd have to go and check all other mod versions on my 1.3.1 ssrss installs too, but at first glance this is the most obvious culprit.

Hope you get it working, else hit me up.

Furthermore (and not neccessarily related):

19 minutes ago, Supermarine said:

You can still add your mods, next to the ones that CKAN put in, no problem at all.

Edited by Dafni

18 minutes ago, Dafni said:

@Supermarine you could try Kopernicus 1.3.1-7

I'd have to go and check all other mod versions on my 1.3.1 ssrss installs too, but at first glance this is the most obvious culprit.

Hope you get it working, else hit me up.

Ok, I installed EVE (EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements-1.2.2.1) and the High-Res clouds from the original SSRSS. Now I have some major planets with textures, but not all. Have already tried with both the high-res and medium textures with these results:

Mercury, Venus, Mars, Pluto and all their satellites are still ugly white balls. At least they have a bit of shade now. Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune and Titan have texture, but the night-side shading in Jupiter is strangely banded (some cool purple stormlike lightning can be seen). The nightside Earth is also very ugly, but at least it now has clouds. I hope this gets corrected with Scatterer.

Also, Deimos has a very strange "spike" protruding from its surface, like soem sort of weird monolith or very tall pyramid. :confused:

Will install Scatterer next and see what happens.

39 minutes ago, Supermarine said:
46 minutes ago, Starfire70 said:

You can use CKAN to install SSRSS and dependencies, get that working then install other mods manually later. There's no requirement that you use CKAN for other mods.

CKAN was able to get it all running for me too.

6 minutes ago, Tyko said:

You can use CKAN to install SSRSS and dependencies, get that working then install other mods manually later. There's no requirement that you use CKAN for other mods.

CKAN was able to get it all running for me too.

Ok, ok... performing a new, clean install. Then I will get CKAN and see how it works.

I hope these issues are resolved with this:

• Erratic planetary shading
  • Missing body textures
  • Flickering orbit lines in Tracking Station

If it works, I might install scatterer that way. :)

Tried with CKAN, and I got this:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

About to install...

* Real Solar System Textures - 4096 x 2048 v13.1 (cached)
 * Stock Size Real Solar System - High Res Clouds v0.0.3.2 (cached)
 * Stock Size Real Solar System - Rescale v.0.10.1 (cached)
 * SSRSS Continued v0.0.3.2 (cached)
 * Module Manager 3.0.4 (cached)
 * Kopernicus Planetary System Modifier 2:release-1.3.1-7 (cached)
 * ModularFlightIntegrator 1.2.4.0 (cached)
 * Real Solar System v13.1.0 (cached)
 * Sigma Dimensions 0.9.8 (cached)
 * Environmental Visual Enhancements 2:EVE-1.2.2-1 (cached)

Module "Real Solar System Textures - 4096 x 2048" successfully installed
Module "Stock Size Real Solar System - High Res Clouds" successfully installed
Module "Stock Size Real Solar System - Rescale" successfully installed
Module "SSRSS Continued" successfully installed
Module "Module Manager" successfully installed
Module "Kopernicus Planetary System Modifier" successfully installed
Module "ModularFlightIntegrator" successfully installed
Module "Real Solar System" successfully installed

Oh no! We tried to overwrite a file owned by another mod!
Please try a `ckan update` and try again.

If this problem re-occurs, then it maybe a packaging bug.
Please report it at:

https://github.com/KSP-CKAN/NetKAN/issues/new

Please including the following information in your report:

File           : GameData/Sigma/Dimensions/Configs/Bodies/Fixes/caseSensitivityFix.cfg
Installing Mod : SigmaDimensions 0.9.8
Owning Mod     : SSRSS-Rescale
CKAN Version   : v1.25.4

Your GameData has been returned to its original state.

Error!

---------------------------------------------------------------

I checked for updates, and got the same error. Tried 3 times.

Should I take note of the files and versions and install them manually?

22 minutes ago, Dafni said:

Dont forget to grab a copy of Kopernicus 1.3.1-7 @Supermarine, if you do it manually that is

CKAN detected that version and attempted to use it. Manually I had decided for the older one mentioned previously. I guess if CKAN refuses to work, I'll use that one. Thanks!

@Supermarine You don't need the rescale mod. I think that's more for if you want to do stock scale RSS WITHOUT SSRSS Continued.

Also in my install, it has Kopernicus Planet System Modifier 1.3.1-7 and that was installed automatically as part of SSRSS Continued depencies in CKAN.

Edited by Starfire70

8 minutes ago, Starfire70 said:

@Supermarine You don't need the rescale mod. I think that's more for if you want to do stock scale RSS WITHOUT SSRSS Continued.

Also in my install, it has Kopernicus Planet System Modifier 1.3.1-7 and that was installed automatically as part of SSRSS Continued depencies in CKAN.

Ok, I reinstalled again. Stupid CKAN simply refused to install all that stuff, but I checked manually the repository and all zip files were there. I installed all of them manually, and it worked.

However, I notice some curious issues, namely:

• Ariel, Umbriel, Titania and Oberon have some horribly pixelated texture, not on par with the others. It is possible that Ariel and Titania have actually the same texture.
  • Titan is completely black. Like a black hole. I remember reading about this in the original locked thread.
  • Deimos has still that idiotic spike.
  • Earth's night side has some very dim city lights, and some quite visible clouds which look very ugly and unrealistic. Apart from that, it looks really nice!
  • While at the KSC (default), an ugly black line delimits the horizon in all directions, most visible on the sea. This is not a consecuence of the time of the day, but completely independent (picture a black ribbon separating the sea from the sky).
  • Clouds and atmosphere of Earth look good.
  • Luna, Jupiter, Saturn and Mars look ****ing glorious!
  • Cape Cañaveral lies in a flooded basin under 30 meters of water! (This is also a known issue, I know!)

I don't know about the Rescale mod. Should I remove it? It is installed and things apparently work fine.

1 hour ago, Tyko said:

Are you running scatterer? some things, like the black line on the horizon and some of the lighting issues may be from that

Yes, I installed the one suggested by CKAN, (Scatterer-2-v0.0324).

If you can, please share your PlanetShine and Scatterer configs, so I can improve the gameplay experience. If you got some texture maps for the Uranian Moons, that would also be helpful!

I installed Texture Replacer (TextureReplacer-3.7) because I really can't stand the vanilla skybox, and lo an behold, Titan got its color! Now it is a solid, bright orange sphere, practically featureless. Is this how it should look?

Sadly, the other Uranites still retain their ugly low-res textures. :( Also, the famed 8K Rareden Skybox---which I uses in my other installs without issue---looks terribly pixelated...

Visually, solving these would only leave the shiny nightside clouds from Earth...

12 minutes ago, Supermarine said:

Yes, I installed the one suggested by CKAN, (Scatterer-2-v0.0324).

If you can, please share your PlanetShine and Scatterer configs, so I can improve the gameplay experience. If you got some texture maps for the Uranian Moons, that would also be helpful!

I installed Texture Replacer (TextureReplacer-3.7) because I really can't stand the vanilla skybox, and lo an behold, Titan got its color! Now it is a solid, bright orange sphere, practically featureless. Is this how it should look?

Sadly, the other Uranites still retain their ugly low-res textures. :( Also, the famed 8K Rareden Skybox---which I uses in my other installs without issue---looks terribly pixelated...

Visually, solving these would only leave the shiny nightside clouds from Earth...

You're seeing a lot of odd issues. I'll have to look when I get home. I've looked at all the planets and the big moons, but don't recall checking the little ones out. IIRC Titan should be kind of a big orange sphere, shouldn't it? you can't see the ground from space

8 minutes ago, Tyko said:

You're seeing a lot of odd issues. I'll have to look when I get home. I've looked at all the planets and the big moons, but don't recall checking the little ones out. IIRC Titan should be kind of a big orange sphere, shouldn't it? you can't see the ground from space

That's right. I even looked at pics from the Internet, and Titan should be bright orange. I suppose its atmosphere is quite dense.

At this point, Im' really tempted either to:

a) Copy mi settings from v1.2.2 which looks gorgeous

or

b) Install the v1.2.2 Scatterer, PlanetShine and Texture Replacer versions right on this SSRSS v1.3.1 and see what happens

I now tried to install the skybox directly from CKAN and it stills looks terrible. This is the new install:

BBA6F19070E160B723CD18C499B37CDDB4249D3F

^ As you can see, ugliest skybox ever.

For comparison, check this one from my regular v1.2.2 install, and also the beautiful flare:

96F39FFC08E6E72E2278C12B3DFEE4E6B1457151

5686CEA93C2327208D303CB6D91F7311F4C45179

Neptunians and Uranites with poor textures while their neighbors look fine.

9DE9812BB36D45AF7254B9930AB637423E32919B

Nightside Earth should be pitch-black, or at least only the dim lights be showing, not the clouds or a seemingly-eternal crepuscule:

B631747B1AFDC27D7F744A1DF6D410F8101DC5EC

Compare to my v1.2.2 install. Pitch-black nightside, no glowing clouds, as it should be:

C488924FD101742A93D05EA9B3641022F9241CF8

Ridiculous unicorn horn on Deimos' Nort Pole, visible from orbit (I suspect a misshapen anomaly from vanilla KSP)

D0FE3C34E0591BAD6C1007DB1B8C87A7A140BA15

In all above cases note the horrid skybox.

Sorry for the huge pictures, but as they say, better explained than with just words.

I think most of those issues are inherent in the RSS mod. I loaded RSS without SSRSS and found most of those same things. I didn't have a chance to check every one, but the unicorn horn and the Uranus/Neptune moons look pretty much the same. Also the backside of Earth is quite brightly lit.

Just now, Tyko said:

I think most of those issues are inherent in the RSS mod. I loaded RSS without SSRSS and found most of those same things. I didn't have a chance to check every one, but the unicorn horn and the Uranus/Neptune moons look pretty much the same. Also the backside of Earth is quite brightly lit.

Interesting. Thanks for your help!

What really intrigues me is that these are graphic issues, and very noticeable for that. They might be here for a reason then: aesthetic preference of the creators instead of hard realism is my best guess. Reminds me of Skyrim and how some people modded it so close to reality that some pics looked like taken from real forests and lakes, together with realistic skies and stars, while others enjoy plastic-looking, oversaturated Technicolor nightmares with neon skies lit like Tokyo streets. Not errors or glitches at all, just personal preferences. But I wish there was some configuration flexibility.

That said, the planets are really gorgeous. Mars seems especially well detailed, and any astronomer would fall in love again with Saturn or Neptune. The Moon is simply fantastic.

A real low point is the skybox. I've tried 5 times with different files, manually and via CKAN, and I simply cannot replace it. Probably it has something to do with the original overhaul carried over from RSS too, same as the atmosphere and cloud configuration. Back in the day I used to heavily modify and tweak stuff to better suit my tastes, like Scatterer's parameters. Maybe I can relearn those tricks at the cost of patience :blink:

On 2/1/2019 at 10:25 PM, Tyko said:

@theJesuit  I think @Rock3tman_ solved this today. His config (below) is for a 2.5x scaled system, so it'll probably park the KSC way up in the air. The fix is to lower the  repositionRadiusOffset = 810 value. I'm not sure what value you'll need, so it'll take some trial and error. If you do figure it out please let everyone know. 

Hide contents

// Adjusts KSC to have proper elevation in a 2.5x scale
// This version is adjusted for a 2.5x Sigma rescale of the solar system. Works with SSRSS_Sigma2.5xx24Hour_Tyko.cfg

@Kopernicus:FINAL
{
    // Earth
    @Body[Kerbin]
    {
        !SpaceCenter {}

SpaceCenter
        {
            // PQSCity
            latitude = 28.608389
            longitude = -81.2
            lodvisibleRangeMult = 6
            repositionRadiusOffset = 810
            reorientFinalAngle = -9.395667

// MapDecal
            decalLatitude = 28.608389
            decalLongitude = -81.2
            heightMapDeformity = 80
            absoluteOffset = 0
            absolute = true
            radius = 10000

groundColor = 0.15, 0.26, 0.04, 0.2
            groundTexture = BUILTIN/terrain_grass00_new
        }
    }
}

I am trying to fix the KSC position but I cannot find the file that contains repositionRadiusOffset. I'm using stock scale. 

@Supermarine, I have had no problem replacing the skybox. In my SSRSS on 1.3.1 I am running some of poodmunds skyboxes IIRC.

I hope you get it working to your liking. It really is an awesome planet pack, my absolute favorite.

Edited by Dafni

On 3/8/2019 at 10:07 PM, Starfire70 said:

"And a little extra, cool stuff for everyone:

Use this to get high detail terrain with SSRSS.

READ THE INSTRUCTIONS! (I even included pictures)
High Detail Preset

Part Max Pressure Patch"

@Starfire70 and @Tyko did you guys ever try those high detail terrain mentioned above? 

I would love to try them but am a bit intrigued by those instructions.

BTW, since the release of Restock I am finally planing to leave 1.3.1 behind, but one of the conditions would be to get SSRSS working in 1.6.1 first. Maybe I'll build some installs over the next weekend.

Edited by Dafni

14 hours ago, Supermarine said:

A real low point is the skybox. I've tried 5 times with different files, manually and via CKAN, and I simply cannot replace it. Probably it has something to do with the original overhaul carried over from RSS too, same as the atmosphere and cloud configuration. Back in the day I used to heavily modify and tweak stuff to better suit my tastes, like Scatterer's parameters. Maybe I can relearn those tricks at the cost of patience :blink:

I also had some trouble replacing the skybox, but was finally able to do it:

1. Using CKAN, Install Sigma Replacements - Skybox (version B_v.0.2.2).
2. Using CKAN, install one of Pood's skyboxes. I installed Pood's Milky Way Skybox (v1.2.0))
DONE.

7 hours ago, Dafni said:

@Starfire70 and @Tyko did you guys ever try those high detail terrain mentioned above? 

I would love to try them but am a bit intrigued by those instructions.

I added the section to the KSP config as instructed in the High Detail Preset. Looking at the file, I THINK all it does is use the maximum detail of the texture to a farther drawing distance, so it should make the view more immersive but it might impact frame rate if you do not have an optimum hardware setup.

I dropped the max pressure file into the SSRSS folder where all the other configs are. I guess I won't find out if that worked until I try a Venus landing.

3 hours ago, Starfire70 said:

I dropped the max pressure file into the SSRSS folder where all the other configs are. I guess I won't find out if that worked until I try a Venus landing.

Max pressure is read out in the part info in VAB. You should be able to see the change reflected there.

17 hours ago, spltx said:

I am trying to fix the KSC position but I cannot find the file that contains repositionRadiusOffset. I'm using stock scale. 

I'm not in front of my machine now but it should in the SSRSS folder. Look for a configs folder and, within that, a config with Kopernicus in its name

Sea of Moscow on the far side of the moon at an altitude of about 10km.
This looks, well, not nearly as great as I thought it should. I had imagined that shrinking the scale of RSS to stock would improve the look of the textures and height maps on these bodies, especially at close range, but that theory doesn't appear to hold water.

Ugh. If I can't figure out why this is and fix it, I'll have to figure out how to make some big money and offer @Proot serious cash to add some KSPRC texture magic to RSS, even if I have to buy a $10K machine to get acceptable frame rate. I mean, with the KSPRC textures at this range to the Mun, I could SEE regolith and boulders scattered on the ground, just mind blowing. (second image)

jbbai7c.jpg

h3t05qux8a001.png

Edited by Starfire70

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.