KSP UI/font/map colors changed - how to reset?

For some reason, the font in my KSP has changed from the standard colors to a blue color. Also, the colors on my maps (trajectories, planets, etc.) changed to different colors.

This happened after I used CKAN to install these mods all at once:

• scatterer
  • scatterer - default config
  • scatterer - sunflare
  • Environmental Visual Enhancements
  • Environmental Visual Enhancements - Stock Planet Config files

Before this I had mechjeb and kerbal engineer installed with no issues. For troubleshooting I have tried uninstalling all mods and deleting all my files and re-installing via steam. Nothing has worked, the text is still blue.

Does anyone have any advice on what could cause this, or how to do complete clean reset of KSP to resolve it?

Welcome to the forums!

On 2/1/2019 at 8:46 PM, cubic1012 said:

the font in my KSP has changed from the standard colors to a blue color.

Hmm, I use the same mods, with a different texture pack for EVE, and never had that issue. EVE indeed changes the planet colors and can look weird if ill configured, but a clean install of the mod should fix that. And afaik it doesn't affect trajectories nor the texts in the menu itself (although the latter can be affected by changes made to Kerbin in the background). Would you mind posting a screenshot, please? 

On 2/1/2019 at 8:46 PM, cubic1012 said:

For troubleshooting I have tried uninstalling all mods and deleting all my files and re-installing via steam. Nothing has worked, the text is still blue.

Did you uninstall via CKAN or manually, i.e. by removing the folders in steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData? I don't use CKAN, so I am unsure about if unchecking their boxes in the mod GUI is enough and actually removes every .

If removing the mods wasn't enough, try verifying game cache integrity with steam. Here's how, if you don't know :

Spoiler

Load Steam. From the Library section, right-click on the game and select "Properties" from the menu. Select the "Local Files" tab and click the "Verify integrity of game cache..." button. Steam will verify the game's files - this process may take several minutes.

Or indeed uninstalling through steam and then reinstalling. Deleting the files by yourself won't be enough.

One last (and very unlikely) possibility is that your issue is caused by your hardware or windows. Check if it affects other games.

Thank you for the reply. I still haven't resolved this.

Here are some screenshots from my game menus:

https://i.redd.it/0e797jej02e21.png

https://i.redd.it/ekb2halk02e21.png

https://i.redd.it/yfr0di6l02e21.png

https://i.redd.it/13jpl4tl02e21.png

16 hours ago, PunkyFickle said:

EVE indeed changes the planet colors and can look weird if ill configured, but a clean install of the mod should fix that.

I just tried a clean re-install and unfortunately it did not fix it (still looks like the picture).

Did you uninstall via CKAN or manually, i.e. by removing the folders in steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData? I don't use CKAN, so I am unsure about if unchecking their boxes in the mod GUI is enough and actually removes every .

If removing the mods wasn't enough, try verifying game cache integrity with steam.

Originally I used CKAN to uninstall, and then checked the GameData folder to make sure it was empty (it was). After the clean re-install I did above, I uninstalled it manually and it didn't fix it.

I also tried verifying the game through steam, and it found 2 missing files, but also didn't fix it.

Or indeed uninstalling through steam and then reinstalling. Deleting the files by yourself won't be enough.

This also did not fix it.

I am thinking something in the settings.cfg file (or maybe some file in the GameData/Squad folder) was modified, although I thought verifying the game could fix this. Could you maybe provide the text from your settings.cfg so I can copy it and replace mine? Or would this cause more issues?

7 hours ago, cubic1012 said:

Here are some screenshots from my game menus

Hmm, that's strange, I have the feeling that I already saw that at some point...

Anyway, my guess is that it most likely is not related to the mod, given what it affects and how it does (as far as I understand, EVE adds more of a "post processing effect" over the image the game renders and should not affect texts and trajectories).

7 hours ago, cubic1012 said:

clean re-install

Did you check that this removed/reset the settings.cfg? Anyway, I'll paste mine this afternoon, I don't know if it can fix your issue, but who knows. Just be sure to properly backup yours if you don't want to lose your preset (if you are afraid, know that you can have multiple copies of the game on your computer by just renaming your folder and downloading again from steam).

On 2/5/2019 at 2:44 AM, PunkyFickle said:

Did you check that this removed/reset the settings.cfg?

I finished uninstalling and the settings.cfg was still there, so I deleted it. I renamed the folder as a backup and reinstalled KSP and the problem persists. Not sure what to do at this point, is there anywhere in the game files were the UI/text colors are stored that you know of?

Nope. If I did, I'd have told you. There are some colour variables in the settings.cfg, but they don't seem to refer to fonts and trajectories. I mght have missed something, try to see if you don't find anything there. There is some documentation on the wiki, but every colour variable is under the form x y z, where x, y and z are comprised between 0 and 225.

By the way, I completely forgot about sending you my config, I'm very sorry. Here it is. I'm not very confident that it will help you, but who knows.

Anyway this might be related to your hardware or system and I wouldn't be able to help you much on that end. Make sure that your drivers are up to date (especially for your GPU).

On 2/10/2019 at 3:30 PM, PunkyFickle said:

Make sure that your drivers are up to date (especially for your GPU).

This fixed it!

I installed an updated GPU driver (never updated this before - probably the issue) and now it works. Thanks for the troubleshooting.

5 hours ago, cubic1012 said:

This fixed it!

Glad to hear that! Try to check for updates of your drivers and your OS every once in a while as a regular maintenance of your system. On that regard, you can also regularly run a "cleaning" software, such as CCleaner to remove stuff that might indure your PC's performances.

Don't forget to mark the thread as solved (or answered or whatever) in case anyone has the same problem in the future.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.