The Rest In Peace thread: Manga Creator Akira Toriyama, March 8, 2024

StrandedonEarth

Justin Orvel Schmidt (March 23, 1947 – February 18, 2023) was an American entomologist, co-author of Insect Defenses: Adaptive Mechanisms and Strategies of Prey and Predators, author of The Sting of the Wild, and creator of the Schmidt sting pain index. “The Yoda of Sting”

…new page…

Edited by AlamoVampire

220px-Ian_Falconer_resize.png

This one hits really close to home... :valsob:

From Wikipedia:

"Ian Woodward Falconer (August 25, 1959 – March 7, 2023) was an American author and illustrator of children's books, and a designer of sets and costumes for the theater. He created 30 covers for The New Yorker as well as other publications. Falconer wrote and illustrated the Olivia series of children's books, chronicling the adventures of a young pig, a series initially conceived as a Christmas gift for his young niece.

Ian Woodward Falconer was born on August 25, 1959, in Ridgefield, Connecticut. He graduated from The Cambridge School of Weston, and studied art history at New York University before transfers to the Parsons School of Design and the Otis Art Institute. He was gay. According to the designer and filmmaker Tom Ford, Falconer's boyfriends included the artist David Hockney, and Ford himself. Ford said in interviews since that he and Falconer had remained good friends. Decades after their breakup, Ford used Falconer's surname for the title character of A Single Man, his 2009 film (based on Christopher Isherwood's novel, in which the title character has no surname).

Falconer lived in Rowayton, Connecticut, a village within the city of Norwalk. He died from kidney failure in Norwalk on March 7, 2023, at the age of 63."

30 minutes ago, AtomicTech said:

Falconer lived in Rowayton, Connecticut, a village within the city of Norwalk. He died from kidney failure in Norwalk on March 7, 2023, at the age of 63."

And this is why everyone should consider being a live kidney donor (I did it several years ago).  You never know whose life you will save

He was from the next town over, Ridgefield (I grew up in Wilton, which is the small town between Ridgefield and Norwalk).

Certainly read many of his books to my daughter.

As for the kidney failure... seems like that must have been part of other things, they could have put him on dialysis if it was just that, it was likely more than just that.

Edited by tater

• 2 weeks later...

Ryuichi Sakamoto (坂本 龍一), was a Japanese composer, music producer, singer, actor, pianist, BA in Composition, MA in Sound Studies, Faculty of Music, Tokyo University of the Arts, was died of rectal cancer at the age of 71.

There are so many of his works - I don't even know which one to share. But here's the one you must hear before:

Edited by steve9728

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i kind of want to post the video where gwar feeds jerry springer to the world maggot, but i figured it was in poor taste, not to mention a violation of a number of forum rules. 

Gerald Norman Springer (February 13, 1944 – April 27, 2023) was an American broadcaster, journalist, actor, producer, lawyer, and politician. Aged 79, most likely he passed from pancreatic cancer. According to a family spokesperson he was only disgnosed with it a few months prior. 

1 hour ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Yeah. I never connected his name to any songs, but now that I'm going through his list it's like "Oh, yup, that's a good one... Another good one... That too? Wow... And..." 

When I was a kid, like pre-teen, I didn't listen to a lot of rock-and-roll. I listened to a lot of my parents' music. Lots of big band, easy listening, jazz, and folk. Tommy Dorsey, Captain and Tennille, Barry Manilow. And Gordon Lightfoot. May not be huge for anyone else, but it's huge for me.