The Rest In Peace thread: Manga Creator Akira Toriyama, March 8, 2024

StrandedonEarth

Since it seems a new thread pops up every time a celebrity dies, I thought maybe a thread should be dedicated to their memory. Hopefully this thread will become the place to report news of celebrity deaths, instead of RIP threads scattered all over.

This thread was triggered by the recent loss of two Canadians who, while not well known, played major roles in Canadiana.

First up is Emily Griffiths, who died last week at age 96. A philanthropist, she was instrumental in convincing her husband Frank to buy the Vancouver Canucks NHL team and keep them in the city. https://globalnews.ca/video/4914013/emily-griffiths-is-remembered-after-she-passes-away-at-the-age-of-96, A big deal to locals, this news probably meant little outside BC

And on the news today, Ron Joyce, the co-founder of the iconic Tim Horton's coffee shop chain passed away Thursday at age 88. https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/tim-hortons-ron-joyce-died-1.5001820. This could turn into a national day of mourning, since a double-double from Timmy's is as Canadian as apple pie is American.

RIP to them both. ;.;

Edit. I will try to keep the thread title updated with the name of the most recent loss(es).

Edited by StrandedonEarth
Update title

• 3 weeks later...

Although not a celebrity,  My father passed away Wednesday morning.

He was 52 years old...I'm only 13.

R.I.P Kevin.

My mom is crying uncontrollably most of the day. Its hard for us all.

...It’s hard to believe it’s been 2 years now. Feels like it’s been only a few months since that day...

Edited by SuperMiiBrother
2 Years.

4 hours ago, SuperMiiBrother said:

Although not a celebrity,  My father passed away Wednesday morning.

He was 52 years old...I'm only 13.

R.I.P Kevin.

My mom is crying uncontrollably most of the day. Its hard for us all.

He’s a celebrity to you and your family, and that’s what matters. I’m sorry to hear about your loss. I haven’t commented in your thread because others are doing an admirable job of saying all the right things. Myself, I can’t imagine what you’re going through as I’m 48 and still have my parents. My wife, however, lost both parents before she was 25. 

It may not seem like it now, but time will lessen the ache. 

• 3 weeks later...

stan-lee.jpg?w=1000

Stan Lee, Legendary figure of MARVEL Comics, died in the end of 2018 (Age 95).

000dbf7d-500.jpg

Creator of Spongebob, Stephen Hillenburg, follows Stan in the same Month (Age 57).

And RIP 3 or 4 of my Grandma's 8 siblings (eldest one still alive).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I admit that Doris Day's heyday was before my time, so I wasn't familiar with her work. But I have fond memories of the Carol Burnett Show, especially this guy...

RIP Tim... ;.;

PerkyPossibleCockatiel-small.gif

Spoiler

These things seem to happen in threes.... dreading who is next

Edited by StrandedonEarth

On 5/14/2019 at 10:44 PM, buenavides1 said:

RIP Sir Tim Conway

I spend a lot of time thinking of the Hereafter - each time I enter a room I wonder what I'm here after.

Of all the things I've ever lost, it's my mind I miss the most.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...