The Rest In Peace thread: Manga Creator Akira Toriyama, March 8, 2024

StrandedonEarth

I absolutely do not wish to take away from the impact we Star Trek (OS, TNG, DS9, VOY or ENT) feel at the loss of Nichelle Nichols but I just learned about the passing of the voice actress who voiced Ursula in the Little Mermaid.

Patricia Ann Carroll (May 5, 1927 – July 30, 2022) 

and new page. (Sad sigh)

Edited by AlamoVampire

43 minutes ago, AlamoVampire said:

I absolutely do not wish to take away from the impact we Star Trek (OS, TNG, DS9, VOY or ENT) feel at the loss of Nichelle Nichols but I just learned about the passing of the voice actress who voiced Ursula in the Little Mermaid.

Patricia Ann Carroll (May 5, 1927 – July 30, 2022) 

and new page. (Sad sigh)

Ugh. it's 2016 all over again.

RIP Patricia.

Jerome Merle Ceppos (October 14, 1946 – July 29, 2022) was an American journalist, news executive, and educator.

Mo Ostin (born Morris Meyer Ostrofsky; March 27, 1927 – July 31, 2022) was an American record executive who worked for several companies, including Verve, Reprise Records, Warner Bros. Records, and DreamWorks.

Christophe Izard (30 May 1937 – 31 July 2022) was a French television producer.

Maria Frisé (née von Loesch; 1 January 1926 – 31 July 2022) was a German journalist and author.

María Victoria Ledesma Cuevas (30 May 1932 – 1 August 2022), known by her stage name Rosa de Castilla  was a Mexican singer and actress.

Vin Scully died yesterday, at the age of 94. This is probably kinda local, even for US folks, but it's personal for me. Not because I'm a huge sports fan. (I'm not.) But because some of my fondest memories of my childhood are me hanging out in the garage with my dad, puttering around with stuff, with Vin Scully narrating the Dodgers game on his little transistor radio. I will never forget his voice. God speed, Vin.

21 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Anne Heche has been declared brain-dead after a fiery car crash on August 5, although she remains on life support pending organ donation....

https://www.ctvnews.ca/entertainment/anne-heche-legally-dead-remains-on-life-support-for-donor-evaluation-1.6025174

That's too bad. I respected her skills as an actress, but I understand she had a somewhat troubled life. 

I hope she gets the peace she needs, and the closure the family can get.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/31/2022 at 2:30 AM, StrandedonEarth said:

But being a political figure, we probably can't say much here besides honor him...

In total, that's the fourth major figure behind the fall of the Soviet Union dying within the space of a year. The others are

• Gennadyi Burbulis of Russia
  • Stanislav Shushkevich of Belarus
  • Leonid Kravchuk, the first president of Ukraine

That leaves Vitold Fokin of Ukraine as the last living signatory of the Belovezha Accords. 

Edited by DDE

21 minutes ago, DDE said:

Rest in peace, some news media say she was the monarch who has had hold the title the longest. Not true but obviously true for current ones. 
Historically it was not uncommon to become the monarch as an kid and if you lived to be very old you would rule longer.