The Rest In Peace thread: Joe Flaherty, April 1, 2024

StrandedonEarth

Wow, I heard rumbling on the webs this morning and then heard “God Save The Queen” on the radio (I don’t hear much of the radio here at work, but I heard that!),

The Queen is dead, long love the King!

She was Queen for as long as my mom could remember….

Sorry, Mr Bernard Shaw, but you have been royally upstaged….

^^^ A good one for this particular forum.

1 hour ago, magnemoe said:

Rest in peace, some news media say she was the monarch who has had hold the title the longest. Not true but obviously true for current ones. 
Historically it was not uncommon to become the monarch as an kid and if you lived to be very old you would rule longer. 

?

None seem to even approach 70+ years, except Victoria (63 years).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_monarchs_in_Britain_by_length_of_reign

^^^that list includes England, Scotland, etc before union, and seems to start from regency, not taking full power as an adult.

26 minutes ago, tater said:
None seem to even approach 70+ years, except Victoria (63 years).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_monarchs_in_Britain_by_length_of_reign

^^^that list includes England, Scotland, etc before union, and seems to start from regency, not taking full power as an adult.

International media who tend to drops the in Brittany part. Still its just on French king who past her with two years who is verified. 
You have more minor as in tribal or regional kings who might well been part of the British empire during her reign  but had power outside of owning land  unlike British nobles at her time.
And lots of ancient stuff.  Yes you had palace coups and pandemics who put kids on the throne. But I guess you also get plenty of +100 year claims. 

As a proud Monarchist, I am totally devastated by the loss of our Queen.

A wonderful lady, she was the last living world leader to wear her country's uniform during WW2.  She saw fifteen Prime Ministers entering No10, with one - Harold Wilson - doing so twice. 

She met thirteen of the last fourteen US Presidents, from Harry Truman to Joe Biden, with President Johnson being the only exception.

She is a great loss to our nation, the Commonwealth, and, of course, her own family.

Sleep well ma'am, your rest has been well earned.  ;.; 

Edited by The Flying Kerbal
Spelling Mistake.

I moved house today so I guess I'll remember "where were you...." In 10 years time.

I'm not into the monarchy (nor am I particularly against it) but I think people can agree she worked hard her entire reign and provided a sense of stability through crap government after crap government and crisis after crisis (and I'm only 32...)

In some ways nothing is different (I'm about to head out to buy some cat litter) and in other ways everything has changed. The Queen was just about the last international icon of Britishness and I'm not sure what we have left. She represented Britain modernising with the break up of the old empire and televised addresses but at the same time. I only 'know her' from the modern era, being born in 1990.  But I wouldn't be surprised if King Charles III was the last one considering the pomp of the Ascension ceremony (paid by the government) is going to feel extraordinarily out of date in a time of cost of living crisis.

Interesting times.  It would be nice if for some of my adult years we could not have interesting times.

RIP.

Some content has been removed from this thread.

This is not an appropriate thread for politics.  A person has passed away, wether that person was important to you or not, please be respectful.  This is not an appropriate thread for politics, rants, or off-topic discussions.

KSP Forum Community Guidelines can be found HERE.

53 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

I think I only ever saw her as Kai/Vedek Winn, but it seems she had quite a career

Her performance in "One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest" was very good. I highly recommend that film. 

I am surprised to learn of her passing. Im a trekie for sure, so Im fairly familiar with her character of Kai Winn. I absolutely hate Kai Winn. Shes such a slimy “politician” who schemes like a Ferengi. That said, I only feel that way because she was such a skilled actress to fully deliver powerful performances from (mostly, some scripts lead to middling episodes) great scripts. May the prophets welcome her. (Fitting thing imho since i know her best as a bajoran)

Brother Andrew passed away yesterday. He spent most of his life smuggling Bibles into places where they were banned, and calling attention to religious persecution. His life story is really quite remarkable, I encourage you to take the time to read about it. I like to think he didn't walk into Heaven through the Pearly Gates, but snuck in through a back way. Just for old times sake. :)