The Rest In Peace thread: Manga Creator Akira Toriyama, March 8, 2024

StrandedonEarth

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Last weekend, the local news was ablaze with news that will reopen a dark chapter in Canadian history. Privately funded efforts using ground-penetrating radar discovered an unmarked mass grave containing the remains of 215 children on the grounds of the former residential school in Kamloops, British Columbia.

That's just one school, of thirty.

While tales of the horrors of residential schools are old, now there is hard evidence that will launch what will probably be the largest investigation in Canadian history. It'll be interesting to see where all this comes to rest, considering the last residential school in Canada closed in 1996.

Since this topic will naturally turn heavily political, religious, and other TOS-crossers, I will decline further comment or links on this. Anyone interested is free to perform their own research on the topic.

Hopefully, these poor lost souls will soon be able to rest in peace.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/31/2021 at 8:20 PM, StrandedonEarth said:

Last weekend, the local news was ablaze with news that will reopen a dark chapter in Canadian history. Privately funded efforts using ground-penetrating radar discovered an unmarked mass grave containing the remains of 215 children on the grounds of the former residential school in Kamloops, British Columbia.

That's just one school, of thirty.

While tales of the horrors of residential schools are old, now there is hard evidence that will launch what will probably be the largest investigation in Canadian history. It'll be interesting to see where all this comes to rest, considering the last residential school in Canada closed in 1996.

Since this topic will naturally turn heavily political, religious, and other TOS-crossers, I will decline further comment or links on this. Anyone interested is free to perform their own research on the topic.

Hopefully, these poor lost souls will soon be able to rest in peace.

Yeah it's screwed.

Catherine Serou, whoever you actually were.

catherine-serou_wide-0b8f6fedfb66ca4b475

The official version is that she had a one-night stand with the wrong guy, and then threatened to report him for sexual assault (his previous conviction for this exact crime doesn't exactly add weight to his denial).

However, the odd career path of an American ex-Marine (certain sources add "sniper" and "Afghanistan") heading to get her law degree at a Nizhnyi Novgorod university already fuels speculation. She wouldn't be the first Russia-loving ex-Marine with a weird career trajectory to invite attention from Russian security services.

https://www.npr.org/2021/06/18/1008208061/a-u-s-citizen-has-gone-missing-in-russia-sparking-a-criminal-investigation

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/missing-american-woman-found-dead-russia-suspect-arrested-2021-06-19/

https://m.gazeta.ru/social/2021/06/19/13653962.shtml

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Stormpilot said:

They found even more children buried in Saskatchewan. This tallies the total to over 1000. I don’t feel like celebrating Canada day this year :( 

unfortunately this kind of thing happens enough that songs have been written about it.

Spoiler

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Barry Marsden founder of Abbotsford BC based air firefighting group Conair Inc has passed away. He was one of the pioneers in aerial firefighting and Conair operated CV340s (below) and Avro RJ85 (bottom) are normal sights at CYXX (Abbotsford airport).

22-F4-B6-DE-79-F8-439-B-9466-14-CCA5-DFD
E0-AE4-FCD-498-B-4544-B43-E-611-B2-F8576
Not really a celebrity but he helped fight the fires destroying forest in BC.

Edited by Stormpilot

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Pete Burns of Dead or Alive died. RIP

Spoiler

Was out clubbing in the 80s in NY with my buddy, his sister and her friend. This song came on, and his sis dragged me out to dance... at some point she got very... forward. Later my buddy told me to back off his sister... which I didfor show. Was an interesting summer ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...