OrbitalPhoenix's Screenshot Settings and Collection

Orbital_phoenix

ORBITALPHOENIX'S SCREENSHOT SETTINGS & COLLECTION

WFK4F9I.png

A few people have asked me about my visual settings after my latest screenshot round, so I thought I would make a thread to keep all my screenshots in one place to see, as well as provide information about how I create them.

yoRF7nO.png MODS yoRF7nO.png

Spoiler

ghYtuen.png VISUAL PACKS

These are packs that contain complete overhauls to the planet textures and environments, but are not compatible with each other, so only one can be chosen at a time.

SPECTRA

Qx0fa1I.png

STOCK VISUAL ENHANCEMENTS

ZEmW4uo.png

ASTRONOMER'S VISUAL PACK

vzcomxqnyu931.png

ghYtuen.png VISUAL MODS

These mods can be added to the visual packs to add even more to the visuals, although most are required anyway.

SCATTERER

fIZoy9B.png

PLANETSHINE

SchRHfql.jpg

DISTANT OBJECT ENHANCEMENT

8090EYq.png

ghYtuen.png POST PROCESSING

KS3P

It is a very powerful mod and provides Ambient Occasion, Depth of Field, Bloom, Eye adaptation, Lens Dirt, and others.

I've made my own config which I've worked on over time and can be downloaded here, although it is still a bit WIP:

(OBSOLETE)https://www.dropbox.com/s/6d0pzt1sjoaoh66/Config.cfg?dl=0

I've also increased the sunlight intensity to create those more realistically contrasted shots, which I edited in the Kopernicus Settings:

@Kopernicus:AFTER[Kopernicus]
{
    @Body[Sun] 
    {
        @ScaledVersion
        {
            Light
            {
                sunlightIntensity = 1.5
                scaledSunlightIntensity = 1.5
                IVASunIntensity = 1.5
            }
        }
    }
}

Like this mod:

https://spacedock.info/mod/874/LightFixer!

ghYtuen.png CAMERA

KERBCAM

KerbCam is a great camera mod that allows you to control the rotation of the camera, as well as fine tune camera moment to be very precise, allowing you to get the best angle for the best shot.

BOLT-ON SCREENSHOT SYSTEM

BOSS is great for the casual user, as you don't have to specify the actual resolution, simply state the level of super-sample that you want to use.

ANYRES CONTINUED

AnyRes is for the more advanced user, although it is still very simple to use, it allows much greater control over the resolution and aspect ratio of each screenshot. Allowing on the fly narrow tall shots and wide expansive shots without restarting.

yoRF7nO.png VISUAL DESIGN yoRF7nO.png

Spoiler

ghYtuen.png SUBJECT/STORY

TBA

ghYtuen.png COMPOSITION

TBA

ghYtuen.png PERSPECTIVE

TBA

ghYtuen.png LIGHTING

TBA

ghYtuen.png VISUAL WEIGHT

TBA

ghYtuen.png POST PROCESSING

TBA

yoRF7nO.png CAMERA SETTINGS AND TRICKS yoRF7nO.png

Spoiler

ghYtuen.png CAMERA STUFF

The Field of View (FOV) can be changed in KSP during flight by holding down the Left Alt key (for Windows) and scroll with the mouse wheel. It helps creates those focused shots and makes it feel more like a photograph than a game screenshot.

I like using PlanetShine to change the ambient light during flight quickly to suit the scene.

And finally, to get that crispness in screenshots, I use the secret built-in feature of KSP, the super-sampler

I then take each screenshot into Photoshop afterwards and down-sample back to 1920*1080.

That's it for the visual stuff, the only thing left to say is practice, practice, practice, and experiment :D

Best of luck!

Edited by Orbital_phoenix

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the thread! I’ll definitely try your custom configs. One suggestion in case you want to make some higher resolution pics: last time I tried the built-in supersampling mode, the pixels were kinda blurry if you zoomed in. This mod instead takes perfect high res shots: https://spacedock.info/mod/1029/Bolt-On%20Screenshot%20System%20(BOSS)%20Continued

It should be very good in case you want to make some 4K wallpapers instead of 1080. However last time I used it I had to change some keys in the config file to avoid conflicts with other stuff.

4 hours ago, DjPreside said:

Thanks for the thread! I’ll definitely try your custom configs. One suggestion in case you want to make some higher resolution pics: last time I tried the built-in supersampling mode, the pixels were kinda blurry if you zoomed in. This mod instead takes perfect high res shots: https://spacedock.info/mod/1029/Bolt-On%20Screenshot%20System%20(BOSS)%20Continued

It should be very good in case you want to make some 4K wallpapers instead of 1080. However last time I used it I had to change some keys in the config file to avoid conflicts with other stuff.

Awesome, thanks for the suggestion, I'll check it out

For some reason I don't think the sunlight intensity config works, because I don't see any difference and my pictures don't look as good as yours. I made a new .cfg file in GameData > Kopernicus > Config and named it Settings, pasted those sunlight settings in but it doesn't seem to do anything with the brightness at all:lCCRhSN.jpg

EDIT: Running 1.5.1

Edited by space_powder
game version

On 2/2/2019 at 12:26 PM, Orbital_phoenix said:

AuiURPI.png

This is so cool! Do you mind letting me know where the parts are from? I recognise a lot of BDB parts but very curious about that crew module at the top.

On 2/28/2019 at 5:04 PM, space_powder said:

For some reason I don't think the sunlight intensity config works, because I don't see any difference and my pictures don't look as good as yours. I made a new .cfg file in GameData > Kopernicus > Config and named it Settings, pasted those sunlight settings in but it doesn't seem to do anything with the brightness at all:lCCRhSN.jpg

EDIT: Running 1.5.1

Hmm not sure, it might not be reading it correctly, if you have another Kopericus config in your Gamedata, try putting the code snippet in there or into the main settings config and see it if it works, then it might be your settings file that's causing the issue. 

1 minute ago, Orbital_phoenix said:

Hmm not sure, it might not be reading it correctly, if you have another Kopericus config in your Gamedata, try putting the code snippet in there or into the main settings config and see it if it works, then it might be your settings file that's causing the issue. 

What main settings config? I only have the SolarPanels and System configs in Kopernicus.

On 3/4/2019 at 6:48 PM, theonegalen said:

Hey @Orbital_phoenix, beautiful shots! How does it look in motion, and what is your fps like? Do you run a beast of a computer? How about with higher part count stations and such?

Somewhat beasty, I might put together a video showing what regular gameplay looks like soonish. I haven't tested it with large part loads but for all of it, I'm just using the normal visual mods with my own settings, the biggest change would be using KS3P for in-game post processing which is lacking from stock but unity can fully support.

10 minutes ago, space_powder said:

What main settings config? I only have the SolarPanels and System configs in Kopernicus.

Try putting:

Light
            {
                sunlightIntensity = 1.5
                IVASunIntensity = 1.5
            }

within the brackets of ScaledVersion under Sun, should be the top segment of the System config.

So it should look like this:

// Kopernicus base system definition.  Basically a shell for the existing KSP system.  All data is imported from the "templates"

Kopernicus
{
    name = Kerbol System
    Body
    {
        name = Sun
        identifier = Squad/Sun
        Template
        {
            name = Sun
            removeProgressTree = false
        }
        Properties
        {
            ScienceValues
            {

}
        }
        ScaledVersion
        {
            Light
            {
                sunlightIntensity = 1.5
                IVASunIntensity = 1.5
            }

}
    }

Hope this helps!

On 3/5/2019 at 6:33 AM, Zorg said:

This is so cool! Do you mind letting me know where the parts are from? I recognise a lot of BDB parts but very curious about that crew module at the top.

It's from my mod!

Edited by Orbital_phoenix

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.