[1.8.x] UnKerballed Start v1.1.0 (updated Oct 27, 2019)

SpinkAkron

Unkerballed Start

by SpinkAkron and theonegalen

This is an unmanned start mod inspired by Yemo’s SETI, Unmanned Before Manned. It is structured around early probes and aircraft. Manned capsules become available as later tech.   License is Creative Commons, so it can be continued if I go MIA.

Download link is at bottom of this post.

Overview

• Starting with the Stayputnik probe core, lack of control is the first challenge to overcome. The QBE is available at Stability (T3) and the OKTO at Flight Control (T4). RCS has been moved to earlier in the tech tree.

• Only .625m engines are available at start. More powerful engines have been moved up the tech tree. Multi-engine stages are essential. Making History's engine plates are made available earlier to facilitate this.

• Revamped tech tree - The tech tree has been de-squished, de-tangled, and rationalized. Orphan lines such as Nuclear Power and Colonization have been fully integrated. Additional nodes have been added to flesh out the early tree and where needed at various other points. The Precision Rocketry line has been expanded to cover additional tiers, splitting Rocketry into a Power/Boosters line and a Specialty line. This further slows rocketry advancement. NOTE: All inputs to a node are now required to unlock, not just one like stock. Links that didn't make sense have been removed.

• Just like the Community Tech Tree, on which this is based, most of the later nodes will have no parts in them unless mods using them are also installed. See the CTT thread for a mod list.

• To balance the delayed availability of powerful engines, many other parts such as docking clamps and station hubs have been moved up allowing for earlier station development. The intent is that the player spend more time developing the Kerbin SOI before heading out to the planets. Special thanks to @Pand5461 for the concept of later engine availability. That was the key that made the whole project come together.

• Early aviation with extensive mod support generously provided by UBM Extended's @theonegalen. Thanks!

• The Soviet-style Reentry Pods now have their own tech line. They are simple and cheap, but ultimately a dead end. In a low-income playthrough they become a real option.

• Only the tech tree node placement of parts is effected. No parts or resources are changed, reducing compatibility issues.

• Three new .625m engines have been added. The LV-T05 and LV-T10 are re-scaled versions of the LV-30 and LV-45. The RT1 SRB is a re-scaled version of the RT-10. They are removed when a mod with equivalent parts is installed.

• Added .625m Fairing generously provided by @PocketBrotector from his Extended Antenna Progression Mod. Thanks!

• OPTIONAL - Small parts means more parts so the upgrade costs for VAB/Launchpad and SPH/Runway have been swapped via Custom Barn Kit. This allows for earlier VAB upgrading.  To activate this change rename CustomBarnKit.cfg.disabled to CustomBarnKit.cfg

Spreadsheet showing what parts are in what node: UnKerballed Start Tech Tree Spreadsheet (google docs link)

Screenshot (click for full size)

BsNx7Vu.png

Compatibility

The only mods that are incompatible are other tech tree mods. All parts added by mods will work as designed but their position in the tech tree may not be consistent with the changes made by this mod. If you’d like a mod adapted, I’d be happy to make a config for it.

Custom configs are provided for the following mods so far:

Spoiler

ALCOR
BARIS
Deadly Reentry
DMagic Orbital Science
Freyja
Fuel Tanks Plus
Interstellar Extended
KAX
Kerbalism
Kerbonov
kOS
KW Rocketry
Making History
Mandatory RCS Part Pack
Missing History
Near Future Construction
Near Future Electrical
Near Future Launch Vehicles
Near Future Spacecraft
Nova Punch
Odin
Open Cockpit
Planetary Bases
Real Chute
RemoteTech
RLA Reborn
SCANsat
SETI Probe Parts
Snacks
Station Parts Expansion Redux
Tac Life Support
Taerobee
Thor
Umbra Space Industries MKS
Universal Storage 2
USI Life Support

AirplanesPlus
MAD
Mk3Airliner
ReStockPlus
KAX
TAC Self Destruct

Recommended Mods

Making History - Official Expansion 
Missing History - Adds the parts that Making History missed
Restock Plus - You're already using this, right? No? Go get it!

Contracts - Having a good set of contracts that compliment the tech tree is crucial. The stock contracts assume the stock tech tree.
For the career, I use SETI Contract Pack made by @Yemo, UKS's spiritual godfather .  As an alternative, Exploration Plus is very good for those who prefer a less guided career.

@theonegalen recommends Career Evolution Contract Pack

I don't care for the stock contracts, so I use Stock No Contracts.  I fill out the contracts with these contract packs
Clever Sats
Field Research
Kerbal Academy
Bases and Stations Reborn
Remote Tech Contracts - currently not working. Unofficial fix HERE
Rover Missions Redux
Tourism Plus
Giving Aircraft a Purpose

Strategia - replaces stock strategy system

Above all, use what gives you the greatest enjoyment. Make the game your own. There is no wrong way to play!

mod list for my Let's Play Using UKS (YouTube playlist)

Spoiler

--- Mod List ---
AdjustableModPanel
AlternateResourcePanel
BAMCont
BackgroundResources
CapCom
Chatterer
ClickThroughBlocker
CollisionFXUpdated
CommunityCategoryKit
CommunityResourcePack
CommunityTechTree
ContractConfigurator
ContractConfigurator-CleverSats
ContractConfigurator-FieldResearch
ContractConfigurator-KerbalAcademy
ContractConfigurator-KerbinSpaceStation
ContractConfigurator-RemoteTech
ContractConfigurator-Tourism
ContractParser
Contract_Pack_Rover_Missions
CustomBarnKit
DMagicOrbitalScience
DeadlyReentry
DistantObject
DistantObject-default
EarnYourStripes
EditorExtensionsRedux
EngineLighting
EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements
FerramAerospaceResearchContinued
FilterExtensions
FilterExtensionsDefaultConfig
FinalFrontier
FlightTracker
IndicatorLights
IndicatorLightsCommunityExtensions
JanitorsCloset
KSP-AVC
KerbalAlarmClock
KerbalChangelog
KerbalConstructionTime
KerbalEngineerRedux
MK1StkOpenCockpit
MagiCore
MakingLessHistory
MandatoryRCS
MemGraph
MemorialWall
MissingHistory
MoarFEConfigs
ModularFlightIntegrator
ModuleManager
MonthlyBudgets
MyTweaks*
OhScrap
PartInfo
PoodsCalmNebulaSkybox
ProgressParser
ReStock
ReStockPlus
RealPlume
RealPlume-StockConfigs
ReentryParticleEffect
RemoteTech
SCANsat
SETI-Contracts
Scatterer
Scatterer-config
Scatterer-sunflare
SciFiVisualEnhancements
ScienceSituationInfo
ScrapYard
SigmaReplacements-SkyBox
SmokeScreen
SpaceAge
StageRecovery
StockNoContracts
Strategia
TACLS
TextureReplacer
ToolbarController
TriggerAu-Flags
UnKerballedStart
kOS
x.Science

UPDATES

1.1.0    Update for KSP 1.8.
            Added config for Breaking Ground DLC suggested by kcs123
            Disabled RT-1, replaced by stock engine.
            Fixes to tech tree suggested by FreeThinker
            Fixes to Intersteller suggested by FreeThinker
            Change to Custom Barn Kit suggested by kcs123
            Change to DMagic Orbital science suggested by kcs123
            Added config for Infernal Robitcs Next suggested by kcs123
            Added config for PEBKAC Launch Escape System suggested by oOScarfacEOo
            Added icons by Tonas1997

1.0.7    Added the rest of the changed parts for 1.7. Derp.
            Reduced cost of Custom Fuel Tanks node

1.0.6    Fix misplaced .75m Waste HexCan for TAC Life Support.

1.0.5    Re-disabled the CustomBarnKit.cfg. In previous versions, I had mistakenly included the non-disabled version.
            Added compatability for 1.7

1.0.4    Fixed the fix for LV10 attachment nodes that I failed to fix.

1.0.3    Incorporated ModZero's fix for LV05 and LV10 attachment nodes when Restock is installed
            and Missing History is not.

1.0.2    Fixed Real Plume configs to eliminate MM warnings.

1.0.1   Fixed tier 13 costs
            Added RealPlume configs
            Added theonegalen's configs for AirplanesPlus, MAD, Mk3Airliner, ReStockPlus, KAX, TAC Self Destruct

1.0.0    Added theonegale's aero configs
            Adjustment of the starting parts suggested by MaltYebisu
            Standardized engine placement
            More mod configs added.
            Added Tier markers and wings nodes

0.9.1     Unscrewed up the engines.

0.9.0    Balancing.  Added Config for Custom Barn Kit.  Uploaded to Spacedock.

0.8.1    Fix for Antenna not showing at start
            Fix nodes for the new LF engines when Missing History is not present
            BARIS config added

0.8.0 Initial Beta release

Required mods:

Community Tech Tree

Module Manager

Custom Barn Kit - OPTIONAL for VAB/Launchpad & SPH/Runway upgrade cost swap. To activate this change rename CustomBarnKit.cfg.disabled to CustomBarnKit.cfg

Installation Instructions:
1. Uninstall any previous version of the mod when upgrading to the latest version.
2. Copy the UnKerballedStart folder into GameData.

Download:

UnKerballed Start on SPACEDOCK

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

Edited by SpinkAkron
version 1.1.0 release

Updated to v0.8.1

0.8.1    Fix for Antenna not showing at start
            Fix nodes for the new LF engines when Missing History is not present
            BARIS config added

Edited by SpinkAkron

Early Rockets.

Without Ferram Aerospace Research installed, it's easy to escape the atmosphere on the first launch with very simple rockets, even with no ability to control them.  Either of these will work. Be sure to lower the thrust on the SRB or it will waste itself on the thick atmosphere.  A TWR of two or so it what you want.

GNfMeEJ.png

With FAR (HIGHLY recommended) installed, it becomes much harder.  Neither of the previous rockets have the necessary stability and will wobble and even flip over.   Since there are no control parts available at start, we need to get creative.  But rotating the fins a few degrees, the craft will begin to spin as it gains speed.  Depending on how much wobble develops before it's spinning fast enough, it's usually stable enough to escape the atmosphere.  But it needs a little more fuel ,so a fourth Oscar-B is added.  This shows the fins tilted 5 degrees.  You can tilt them more and it will spin sooner, but the higher drag will reduce the height. 

aecj6qN.png

When you have 6 science, you can unlock Aeronautics and the first structures node. The structures are not strictly necessary but they help with building a more stable...

Jet Propelled Science Buggy!

CJe2aHX.png

I call it the "KSC Bug".

I'm trying to find an alternative to needing to hoover up all the KSC science, since it's pretty gamey.  But it's what we got.

10 hours ago, SpinkAkron said:

I'm trying to find an alternative to needing to hoover up all the KSC science, since it's pretty gamey.  But it's what we got.

If you are balancing the science and tech-stuff, then I hope you find a way to make the early game possible even on hard without the KSC science hopping.:)

4 hours ago, MaltYebisu said:

If you are balancing the science and tech-stuff, then I hope you find a way to make the early game possible even on hard without the KSC science hopping.:)

You are correct. Without KSC science, it's not possible to progress.  I'd have to reduce the costs of at least the first few tiers of the tech tree.  Over the course of a game you'd be removing several hundred science points.  In any case, removing KSC science is just a wish list item and doesn't appear likely.  I see it as kind of like an unskippable tutorial. 

My current test run is on hard mode with no additional science mods and it's pretty challenging but doable(so far).   Using only small parts, the VAB part count limit quickly becomes an issue.  I'm looking into doing something about that. 

4 minutes ago, Aodhan said:

Nice mod, I’m gonna try it in my next career ! Maybe CKAN ?

If you'd like to give it a go, I'd sure appreciate the feedback. I was going to hold off on CKAN and the other sites untill I got enough feedback to gauge reaction. Maybe I have it backwards and I need to release on those to get enough exposure to get the feedback.

All right, I'm working on the newest version now. I like your changes to the Squad aerodynamic part placement so far. Playing with 50% science return is working pretty well. All the other difficulty sliders are on normal.

With the new changes, I actually find that a lot of the things I did to move stuff around when Aero mods were installed are no longer necessary. 

Also, your Taerobee config is one to one what mine was, so that makes me happy.

Edited by theonegalen

13 hours ago, theonegalen said:

Also, your Taerobee config is one to one what mine was, so that makes me happy.

That's a pretty good sign that we're on the same wavelength. I've made a couple part shifts, but nothing aero. I still haven't played past tier 4 which concerns me. I keep restarting after making tweaks. I'm finding the engine plates vital which was something I'd hoped to see.

Once your work is integrated,  I think it's ready for a proper 1.0 release to Spacedock and CKAN.

Being restricted to small parts, the part count limit becomes a problem sooner than stock. I'd like to remove the part count mechanism and replace it with a craft size restriction, but that does not appear to be possible.  To balance the need to use more parts per rocket, I'm testing a Custom Barn Kit config swapping the upgrade costs for VAB and Launchpad. On hard mode, the costs are 450,000 and 150,000. The mass limit isn't a problem til much later than stock, when the player has more money to spend on upgrades.

So I finally get this up on SpaceDock where people can see it only to find that a problem has crept in.  The new re-scaled engines are no longer getting their thrust re-scaled.  I'm trying to figure out what changed and fix it.  Sorry for the inconvenience.  I'll have a 0.9.1 version up as soon as I can. :wacko:

FIXED.  0.9.1 uploaded.  Those responsible have been sacked.

Edited by SpinkAkron
gud spellen

15 minutes ago, SpinkAkron said:

Oh sorry, I wasn't aware that would cause you problems.  There was some mod that was overriding mine.  I don't recall the details.  I'll be happy to change it to whatever you think would work best.

That really depends on which mod was the problem. :BEFORE[zzz etc would work for me. It would most likely still be after whatever mod is causing the problem, but allow me to use the :AFTER.

I do like the other changes in 0.9 / 0.9.1. Good tweaks there.

I am against the swapping of the VAB/SPH costs with the launchpad/runway costs. It costs a lot more to build a new building than it does to pour a bunch of concrete. I also think that the higher costs are good for gameplay because they give players something they have to save up for. Getting everything upgraded that needs to be upgraded hasn't been a problem for me at all.

Edited by theonegalen

54 minutes ago, theonegalen said:

I am against the swapping of the VAB/SPH costs with the launchpad/runway costs. It costs a lot more to build a new building than it does to pour a bunch of concrete. I also think that the higher costs are good for gameplay because they give players something they have to save up for. Getting everything upgraded that needs to be upgraded hasn't been a problem for me at all.

That is needed when restricted to small parts. The part count just becomes to big barrier to progress.  I playtest on straight hard mode which reduces funding to 60% and doubles the upgrade costs. Grinding out 450k while restricted to 30 parts, while it might be technically possible, just ain't any fun.  I'll make it optional so the player can choose what they prefer.

I really dislike the VAB upgrades mechanism. Both the part count and the action group limits are artificial constraints.  I was hoping I could move the height/length restrictions from the launchpad to the VAB, but it doesn't work like that. 

1 hour ago, theonegalen said:

That really depends on which mod was the problem. :BEFORE[zzz etc would work for me. It would most likely still be after whatever mod is causing the problem, but allow me to use the :AFTER.

I think it should work if I remove the AFTER[zzz] from the main config and change each mod config to be AFTER[mod_name] so the mods can't override me.  That sound right?  

1 hour ago, theonegalen said:

I do like the other changes in 0.9 / 0.9.1. Good tweaks there.

Thanks!

4 minutes ago, SpinkAkron said:

I'll make it optional so the player can choose what they prefer.

I agree with that.

5 minutes ago, SpinkAkron said:

I really dislike the VAB upgrades mechanism. Both the part count and the action group limits are artificial constraints.  I was hoping I could move the height/length restrictions from the launchpad to the VAB, but it doesn't work like that. 

I I feel like the upgrade levels in the VAB is a good gameplay abstraction of being able to make more complicated crafts and control systems. But you've already said you'll make that optional, so I can agree to disagree.

7 minutes ago, SpinkAkron said:

I think it should work if I remove the AFTER[zzz] from the main config and change each mod config to be AFTER[mod_name] so the mods can't override me.  That sound right?

That would also work. I just did a simple find and replace of all the :AFTER[ with :BEFORE[ and that seems to work. Your version should also work, but seems a lot more effort to me.

6 minutes ago, theonegalen said:

That would also work. I just did a simple find and replace of all the :AFTER[ with :BEFORE[ and that seems to work. Your version should also work, but seems a lot more effort to me.

How about you do what makes the most sense since you know more about how this works than me.  I won't make any more changes til your stuff is ready.  The end result will be v1.0

1 hour ago, Trulight said:

Bring in Compatability For

Novapunch Rebalanced, NovapunchRebalanced Fryja, Odin, and Thor and i'm down :)

Holy underpants, I thought KW Rocketry had a lot of parts.  Luckily, I'm probably only going to need to move no more than all of them.  I'll see if I can have it done for the next release.

@Trulight, In spite of being at death's door from the dreaded man cold, I bravely stayed home from work and worked on the NovaPunch config. I did end up moving almost every single part. Through OCD and over-medication, I persevered.  Want to take a looksie and let me know what you think?  You'll need to install the full mod and then stick these in GameData\UnKerballedStart\Mod Support.

NovaPunch.zip <--- that one

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.