[1.8.x] UnKerballed Start v1.1.0 (updated Oct 27, 2019)

SpinkAkron

3 minutes ago, EchoLima said:

SETI Probe Parts

That was the first place I looked. I'm not seeing one.  In any case, the license is restricted and the the modder has not responded to hails.

4 minutes ago, RocketPCGaming said:

@SpinkAkron A few mods have them such as Ven's Stock Part Revamp has one as well as SSTU. I am sure there are others as well. I haven't used KW Rocketry in a long time but I *think* it has one too.

I use Ven's. There isn't one in that.  I did a config for KW and moved all the fairings up but there's no size0 fairings, unless I overlooked them.

5 minutes ago, EchoLima said:

It says its located in GameData\Squad\Parts\Aero\fairings\fairingSize1\fairingSize0-LB ...

I must have a patch that rescaled the 1.25m fairing.

that's exactly what I have after copying in the one from Extended Antenna Progression. This one is named "AE-FF0 Airstream Protective Shell (0.625m)"

1 minute ago, SpinkAkron said:

that's exactly what I have after copying in the one from Extended Antenna Progression. This one is named "AE-FF0 Airstream Protective Shell (0.625m)"

I also have Extended Antenna Progression. That must be where the fairing is from.

That sounds like both the easiest way to go and the only option that has so far presented itself.

@PocketBrotector, I would like to include(with attribution) the .625m fairing from Extended Antenna Progression in UnKerballed Start. Is that okay with you?

Edited by SpinkAkron

I took a Stayputnik to space with FAR using only tier 1 and 2 parts. It took 4 attempts, one of which had an engine failure (gotta love OhScrap!).  Two failed due to insufficiently tilted fins leading to early destabilization.  It's not pretty, but it is possible.  And normal difficulty gives an insane amount of science compared to what I'm used to.

If you're not using Collision FX, I highly recommend it. Hearing the metal screeching as my probes tumble across the landscape really brings home what a failer I am.

Edited by SpinkAkron

@SpinkAkron I am doing 1/4 real scale (2.7X stock) and the dV loss from the drag and low TWR (to not push too hard against atmo and cause drag induced oscillation - even with spin stabilization) of the Stayputnik is enough to prevent me from making orbit. Stock scale I could pull it off, but not at 1/4 RS, at least not at this tech level. So the .625 aero shell would be SWEET!

6 hours ago, RocketPCGaming said:

@SpinkAkron I am doing 1/4 real scale (2.7X stock) and the dV loss from the drag and low TWR (to not push too hard against atmo and cause drag induced oscillation - even with spin stabilization) of the Stayputnik is enough to prevent me from making orbit. Stock scale I could pull it off, but not at 1/4 RS, at least not at this tech level. So the .625 aero shell would be SWEET!

It will be in v1.0.  I really appreciate the feedback guys

Edited by SpinkAkron

FYI, Yemo used to modify old (deprecated) squad parts with it's own configs. Early aviation cockpit in SETI is such part, for example, meaning as such, mesh and textures does not fall in ARR licence. Config file for it need to be rewritten, though. Similar is with SETI probes. Stock mesh model and textures with custom part configs to fill the gap between stock science node tiers.

54 minutes ago, kcs123 said:

FYI, Yemo used to modify old (deprecated) squad parts with it's own configs. Early aviation cockpit in SETI is such part, for example, meaning as such, mesh and textures does not fall in ARR licence. Config file for it need to be rewritten, though. Similar is with SETI probes. Stock mesh model and textures with custom part configs to fill the gap between stock science node tiers.

Thanks. I'm going to wait for @theonegalen's aero parts before I do anything like that. Something I'll keep in mind though .

23 hours ago, SpinkAkron said:

Thanks. I'm going to wait for @theonegalen's aero parts before I do anything like that. Something I'll keep in mind though.

My patches should be ready tonight. I'll send them to you on Google Drive either tonight or tomorrow, depending on how the internet is at my house tonight.

Version 1.0.0 uploaded to SpaceDock. See download on first post. Thanks to @theonegalen for his work on the aero mods and his suggestions and playtesting. 

1.0.0    Added theonegalen's aero configs
            Adjustment of the starting parts suggested by MaltYebisu
            Standardized engine placement
            More mod configs added.
            Added Tier markers and wings nodes (for later use)

The Custom Barn Kit config swapping the VAB/Launchpad upgrade costs has been made optional and disabled by default. If you want to use this feature, rename CustomBarnKit.cfg.disabled to CustomBarnKit.cfg. This file is located in the UnKerballedStart folder.  If you are not using it, there is no need to install Custom Barn Kit although you should already have it to use the awesome Strategia mod.

I'm still tweaking things here and there so if you see anything that looks out of place please let me know. Also I'd like hear any feedback on balance, pacing, etc.

Edited by SpinkAkron

RSS is pretty hard without it ;-) So I made a contract in GAP to get it earlier:

//GAP-Ford-DTS-Antenna - GAP: Purchase DTS tech.

CONTRACT_TYPE
{

//REQUIREMENTS FOR CONTRACT TO APPEAR

REQUIREMENT
	{
		name = Funds
		type = Funds

minFunds = @/membershipBalance

}

REQUIREMENT
	{
		name = PartUnlocked
		type = PartUnlocked

part = mediumDishAntenna

invertRequirement = true

}

//DATA NODES TO PROCESS FOR CONTRACT USE

DATA
	{
		name = double
		type = double

membershipBalance = Round(StartingFunds() * 0.03)
		productionCost = 0 - @membershipBalance

}

//CONTRACT DESCRIPTION

name = GAP-Ford-DTS-Antenna
	title = Purchase DTS tech.
	group = Prototype Marketplace
	agent = Giving Aircraft a Purpose

description = Hello, my name is Henry Kerman with the Ford Carriage Company. My company has developed structural and mobility parts useful for making small but reliable vehicles.&br;&br;You may purchase the following production-ready prototype that will allow you to start making smaller vehicles:&br;&br;- DTS Antenna

synopsis = Structural and mobility technology is at your fingertips! Simply cover the cost of our initial production run, and this prototype will be yours! 

notes = The part will be available immediately to your organization upon contract acceptance.

completedMessage = Part transfer complete.&br;&br;Your organization now has access to the following:&br;&br;- DTS Antenna&br;&br;Enjoy the new part!

//Contract Limits
   	maxCompletions = 1
   	maxSimultaneous = 1
//	weight = 50.0

autoAccept = false
	declinable = true
	cancellable = true

minExpiry = 7.0
	maxExpiry = 7.0
	deadline = 0

//Contract Reward Modifiers
	prestige = Trivial
   	targetBody = Earth

//Contract Rewards
  	advanceFunds = 0.0
	rewardFunds = @/productionCost
	rewardReputation = 0.0
 	rewardScience = 0.0

//Contract Penalties
  	failureFunds = 0.0
 	failureReputation = 0.0

//BEHAVIOURS TO DO WHEN CREATING CONTRACT

BEHAVIOUR
	{
		name = ExperimentalPart
		type = ExperimentalPart

part = mediumDishAntenna

unlockCriteria = CONTRACT_ACCEPTANCE
		lockCriteria = DO_NOT_LOCK

}

//PARAMETERS FOR CONTRACT COMPLETION

PARAMETER
	{
		name = Timer
		type = Timer

duration = 1s

timerType = CONTRACT_ACCEPTANCE	

failContract = false

}

}

I've never used RSS so I haven't given any thought to how it would play with this. I'll see what I can do about documenting the tech tree changes better. I was keeping a spreadsheet, but it got hopelessly out of date. Would something like that help? If so,. I can update it to the current version.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.