[1.8.x] UnKerballed Start v1.1.0 (updated Oct 27, 2019)

SpinkAkron

your latest update destroyed my save... the tech tree is all screwed up and now i dont have parts i have previously used... what changed?

will i need to restart my game every update?? my game was fine then i updated your mod today, loaded my game and it is now unplayable. I dont even have the kickback boosters anymore even though they are unlocked in the tech tree

Edited by c39687

8 hours ago, c39687 said:

your latest update destroyed my save... the tech tree is all screwed up and now i dont have parts i have previously used... what changed?

will i need to restart my game every update?? my game was fine then i updated your mod today, loaded my game and it is now unplayable. I dont even have the kickback boosters anymore even though they are unlocked in the tech tree

Unfortunately, that's one of the downsides of releasing a pre 1.0 version. There can be some pretty substantial changes before v1.0. In this case, it was the engine standardization.  I guess I just assumed people would know that and didn't think to give you a heads up.  I apologise for not doing that. I restart so often I don't even think twice about it. That's another blind spot I need to keep in mind when I change things. I will do better going forward.

The big systemic changes are done so there shouldn't be anything major changing going forward. There may still still be minor changes if a part is found to be in the wrong node. I will include information about save game impact for each release going forward.

45 minutes ago, SpinkAkron said:

Unfortunately, that's one of the downsides of releasing a pre 1.0 version. There can be some pretty substantial changes before v1.0. In this case, it was the engine standardization.  I guess I just assumed people would know that and didn't think to give you a heads up.  I apologise for not doing that. I restart so often I don't even think twice about it. That's another blind spot I need to keep in mind when I change things. I will do better going forward.

The big systemic changes are done so there shouldn't be anything major changing going forward. There may still still be minor changes if a part is found to be in the wrong node. I will include information about save game impact for each release going forward.

Ahh ok understood. Yeah no problem, I appreciate you working on the mod and looking to improve. I am kinda far into a game but I have a few reasons to start over so this is a good time I guess haha. I have made mods for other games so I get it. Thanks for your hard work!

1 hour ago, c39687 said:

Ahh ok understood. Yeah no problem, I appreciate you working on the mod and looking to improve. I am kinda far into a game but I have a few reasons to start over so this is a good time I guess haha. I have made mods for other games so I get it. Thanks for your hard work!

I appreciate you trying the mod and providing feedback. 

5 hours ago, SpinkAkron said:

I appreciate you trying the mod and providing feedback. 

no prob. I wanted to ask, was it intentional that some nodes in the tech tree are empty and have no parts to unlock? like Wings 2 costs 1 science and has 0 parts.

1 hour ago, c39687 said:

no prob. I wanted to ask, was it intentional that some nodes in the tech tree are empty and have no parts to unlock? like Wings 2 costs 1 science and has 0 parts.

Yes. The Community Tech Tree, on which this is based, has empty nodes that are to be used by mods.  The new wings nodes I added are there for @theonegalen to use for aero mods, if he deems it appropriate.  At some point, I'll probably change them to be hidden when they are empty.  You can also use the  Hide Empty Tech Tree Nodes mod which usually recommended for modded tech trees.

Which reminds me, I probably should come up with a list of recommended mods for use with this tech tree.

2 hours ago, SpinkAkron said:

Yes. The Community Tech Tree, on which this is based, has empty nodes that are to be used by mods.  The new wings nodes I added are there for @theonegalen to use for aero mods, if he deems it appropriate.  At some point, I'll probably change them to be hidden when they are empty.  You can also use the  Hide Empty Tech Tree Nodes mod which usually recommended for modded tech trees.

Which reminds me, I probably should come up with a list of recommended mods for use with this tech tree.

ah thanks for the info

5 hours ago, SpinkAkron said:

The Community Tech Tree, on which this is based, has empty nodes that are to be used by mods.  The new wings nodes I added are there for @theonegalen to use for aero mods, if he deems it appropriate.  At some point, I'll probably change them to be hidden when they are empty.  You can also use the  Hide Empty Tech Tree Nodes mod which usually recommended for modded tech trees.

Would you need or not need wings and control surfaces from other mods depends quite a lot if you are using any of procedural wings mod.
Someone who use B9PW for example, would only need those and maybe few stock parts like tail wings, canards and such for early rocket designs where gimbals are not enough for steering craft.

So, if you recall Yemo's SETICtt, he has put for that reason quite a few aero parts in 1 science point cost node for people who need those and without breaking much overall gamebalance. Fuselages, cockpits, engines and air intakes are different story, though. So, it might be a good practice to have such 1 science point parts just for wings and similar parts tied to more advanced tech tree nodes.

That way, SPH/VAB editor would not be cluttered with parts that you might never use trough careeer game. That was good workaround before Janitor closet mod become available.

7 hours ago, kcs123 said:

Would you need or not need wings and control surfaces from other mods depends quite a lot if you are using any of procedural wings mod.
Someone who use B9PW for example, would only need those and maybe few stock parts like tail wings, canards and such for early rocket designs where gimbals are not enough for steering craft.

So, if you recall Yemo's SETICtt, he has put for that reason quite a few aero parts in 1 science point cost node for people who need those and without breaking much overall gamebalance. Fuselages, cockpits, engines and air intakes are different story, though. So, it might be a good practice to have such 1 science point parts just for wings and similar parts tied to more advanced tech tree nodes.

That way, SPH/VAB editor would not be cluttered with parts that you might never use trough careeer game. That was good workaround before Janitor closet mod become available.

Yep. That's what I was thinking when I added them.  I also was influenced by how Yemo did the structural parts, but I split them up by size.  

Janitor's Closet is one of my favorite mods. It's very handy for segregating parts to the VAB or SPH.  Also useful when needing to see only parts that belong to a particular mod.

@SpinkAkron With the recent release of the KSP Restock and Restock+ mods we now have some (AMAZING) new retextures of a lot of stock parts, but I've found that these mods break the new parts added by UnKerballed Start. Do you plan to do any work to add support and allow players to use this new mod without sacrificing our ability to see something other than a black void when we use the parts you added? I understand that your mod taps into stock textures to create the textures for the parts you add, and Restock modifies those textures (IIRC), so I'm wondering if there's a way to work around that.

1 hour ago, YamiHikari said:

@SpinkAkron With the recent release of the KSP Restock and Restock+ mods we now have some (AMAZING) new retextures of a lot of stock parts, but I've found that these mods break the new parts added by UnKerballed Start. Do you plan to do any work to add support and allow players to use this new mod without sacrificing our ability to see something other than a black void when we use the parts you added? I understand that your mod taps into stock textures to create the textures for the parts you add, and Restock modifies those textures (IIRC), so I'm wondering if there's a way to work around that.

I've been gawking at them myself. :o  We'll definitely be making them compatible.  

40 minutes ago, SpinkAkron said:

I've been gawking at them myself. :o  We'll definitely be making them compatible.  

I'm wondering if a collaboration might be possible to fit the new parts to the textures in Restock instead of rerouting them back to being the base-stock-alike variants of themselves. Would be interesting to see smaller variations of the Restock-ified parts.

40 minutes ago, SpinkAkron said:

I thought it appropriate to make them part of the aerodynamics line, which starts with aviation.

sure thing I guess...but they're not plane parts and people (like me) who have zero interest in planes have to buy nodes we don't want and clog up our parts drawer with plane parts that we don't need - just a thought

Edited by Tyko

1 hour ago, Tyko said:

sure thing I guess...but they're not plane parts and people (like me) who have zero interest in planes have to buy nodes we don't want and clog up our parts drawer with plane parts that we don't need - just a thought

I hear you. I have little interest in planes myself.  But they're aerodynamic tech, not rocket tech. I don't want to give myself what I see as an unfair advantage by making them something they are not.  I use Janitor's Closet to restrict them to the SPH or, in some cases, hiding parts entirely.

3 hours ago, YamiHikari said:

I took a closer look and Restock looks to be comparable out of the box. I didn't see any issues,  in any case. I'm just re-scaling stock parts, so if some mod changes the stock parts, I think those changes are reflected in my new ones. Restock+ definitely needs addressed. @theonegalen told me he's working on a config, so I'm going to hold off til I see what he's got. I was going to release an update this weekend, but I think I'll hold off a bit with this new development.

1 hour ago, YamiHikari said:

I'm wondering if a collaboration might be possible to fit the new parts to the textures in Restock instead of rerouting them back to being the base-stock-alike variants of themselves. Would be interesting to see smaller variations of the Restock-ified parts.

Sure. If anyone comes up with a better way of doing something, I'd be happy to incorporate it.  I consider my parts to be just crude placeholders until something better comes along. 

44 minutes ago, SpinkAkron said:

I took a closer look and Restock looks to be comparable out of the box. I didn't see any issues,  in any case. I'm just re-scaling stock parts, so if some mod changes the stock parts, I think those changes are reflected in my new ones. Restock+ definitely needs addressed. @theonegalen told me he's working on a config, so I'm going to hold off til I see what he's got. I was going to release an update this weekend, but I think I'll hold off a bit with this new development.

Sure. If anyone comes up with a better way of doing something, I'd be happy to incorporate it.  I consider my parts to be just crude placeholders until something better comes along. 

The parts from this mod that show up completely black are mostly engines. The notable part is that the Robin is only colorless on its bell, the rest of the engine having normal coloring. There were also select parts from other mods that are randomly blacked out.

11 hours ago, YamiHikari said:

The parts from this mod that show up completely black are mostly engines. The notable part is that the Robin is only colorless on its bell, the rest of the engine having normal coloring. There were also select parts from other mods that are randomly blacked out.

I'm not seeing any black parts. Are you using any other texture mods or using dx11 maybe?

On 3/8/2019 at 9:32 AM, SpinkAkron said:

I'm not seeing any black parts. Are you using any other texture mods or using dx11 maybe?

I have AdvancedTextures, but everything was working with that before I added Restock. Around the time I added Restock, I also added ModularLaunchPads and the KerbalReusabilityExpansion (as well as two relevant utility mods), but I don't think anything in those affected textures. I may try removing AdvancedTextures and see if that helps . . .

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.