[1.8.x] UnKerballed Start v1.1.0 (updated Oct 27, 2019)

SpinkAkron

On 7/16/2019 at 10:43 AM, kcs123 said:

I'm not familiar that much with part upgrade, but have you tried this:

//heavierRocketry
@PARTUPGRADE[SSTU-SC-ENG-SRB-GeneralRocketry]:NEEDS[CommunityTechTree,SSTU,UnKerballedStart]:AFTER[zzzUnKerballedStart]
{
	@TechRequired = heavierRocketry
}

Although, I think that "zzzUnkerballedStart" that is written everywhere trough UnkerbaledStart patches does not do anything, because there is no such folder inside Gamedata folder or plugin with that name. I think that it is leftover of WIP version of Unkerballed Start mod, but have to check with @SpinkAkron to tell for sure. Any of those does not cause any harm, though.

To ensure that your patch is executed after all other patches applied in game, it is good practice to place your own patches in your own folder that start with "Z*". I used "ZX_CustomTweaks" for my personal purposes for example. If you want to execute some commands BEFORE some other mod patches are executed, that will work properly if you tell MM to do so, but placing your own patches in "Z" folder will make those that were executed last.

And you may want to execute your patches last, because if you put BEFORE command, some other MM patch may override your command. To check out if your filter clause of MM patch (needs, has, etc.) work properly, you may want to try with something more simple, like changing a title of part, to visualy detect if patches are applied properly.

Other than that, if above tips does not help, you may want to ask questions in MM thread instead. More people with better knowledge of MM follow that thread and you may find answer sooner.

Thanks for the suggestion @kcs123  Unfortunately it did not work.  I did some more digging and found one of the SSTU mod integration configs for CTT.

@PARTUPGRADE[SSTU-ST-SolarUpgrade3]:NEEDS[CommunityTechTree]
{
	@techRequired = advSolarTech
}

His config works so I tried to model it as shown here.

@PARTUPGRADE[SSTU-SC-ENG-SRB-GeneralRocketry]:NEEDS[CommunityTechTree]
{
	@TechRequired = heavyRocketry
}

Still doesn't work.  @Shadowmage any ideas here?

I compared the log file entries with the solar upgrade and the one I'm trying and they both look very similar.  Here is my config's part.  I even copied my config file to the same folder as the CTT.cfg in SSTU which I'm guessing has nothing to do with it but I did just for kicks.

[LOG 14:20:33.004] Config(@PARTUPGRADE[SSTU-SC-ENG-SRB-GeneralRocketry]:NEEDS[CommunityTechTree]) SSTU/ModIntegration/CTT/CTT/@PARTUPGRADE[SSTU-SC-ENG-SRB-GeneralRocketry]:NEEDS[CommunityTechTree]
[LOG 14:20:33.015] Config(PARTUPGRADE) SSTU/Parts/Upgrades/UpgradeParts-MSRB-ISP/SSTU-SC-ENG-SRB-GeneralRocketry
[LOG 2019-07-16 14:20:14.866] Applying update SSTU/ModIntegration/CTT/CTT/@PARTUPGRADE[SSTU-SC-ENG-SRB-GeneralRocketry]:NEEDS[CommunityTechTree] to SSTU/Parts/Upgrades/UpgradeParts-MSRB-ISP.cfg/PARTUPGRADE

Edit: As a test, I actually made the changes in the CTT.cfg file in SSTU just to see if that had anything to do with it.  That is what the log file shows above. 

Edit2: I made a new config file with only these entries and it does work now.  Something goofy with my original config file.  All good now.

Edited by Joker58th

Following the patches that @kcs123 made for this mod -

I took a shot at making my first MM Patch.  it works, most likely not in the best places, but it worked. :)

// Breaking Ground 1.7.3 by GamersCircle
// grips - OK
@PART[lGripPad|lGripStrip|mGripPad|sGripPad|sGripStrip]:NEEDS[SquadExpansion/Serenity,CommunityTechTree,UnKerballedStart]:BEFORE[zzzUnKerballedStart]
{
	@TechRequired = advActuators
}
@PART[largeHeliBlade|largePropeller|mediumHeliBlade|mediumPropeller|smallHeliBlade|smallPropeller|RotorEngine_02|RotorEngine_03]:NEEDS[SquadExpansion/Serenity,CommunityTechTree,UnKerballedStart]:BEFORE[zzzUnKerballedStart]
{
    @TechRequired = advFlightControl
}

I am sure that there is a much better way of doing this, but I really wanted to play 1.7.3 

Edited by gamerscircle

1 hour ago, SpinkAkron said:

Thanks guys for helping each other out. I'm sorry I can't do anything on this for awhile. 

Meatspace screenshot of me not working on UKS:

O1DR2UW.jpg

Well, at least you have the ladders unlocked! :D 

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

@SpinkAkron Hello, it appears some CTT technodes are hidden by KSPIE technode in you tech tree (because KSPIE tech node sits on top of it)

specificly :

• ultraHighEnergyPhysics is hidden by extremeHighEnergyPhysics
  • exoticPlasmaPropulsion is hidden by extremePlasmaPropulsion

I could not find your source file otherwise I would have made a pull request to fix the following in InterstellarExtended.cfg

//fasterThanLightTech	
	@RDNode:HAS[#id[fasterThanLightTech]]
	{
		@anyToUnlock = False
		@pos = -1200,634,0
	}
//extremeHighEnergyPhysics
	@RDNode:HAS[#id[extremeHighEnergyPhysics]]
	{
		@anyToUnlock = False
		@pos = -1200,850,0
	}
//extremePlasmaPropulsion
	@RDNode:HAS[#id[extremePlasmaPropulsion]]
	{
		@anyToUnlock = False
		@pos = -1200,706,0
	}

Edited by FreeThinker

@SpinkAkron

Alright, in my own new campaign I'm using Unkerbalsim and having a blast (with the probes before manned space approach) but now that have generated some science and want to plan my stratagy trough the tech tree I discovered a serious gameplay and realism balance issue

zJVvfNo.jpg

The problem is that Nuclear propulsion is unlocked after Nuclear Power which also requires Advanced Electrics and Thermal Control. This is bad as it will make reactor powered electric propusion accesable about the same time as Thermal Nuclear Engines. However from both a realsim and game balance view you rather want is Thermal Nuclear Rocket Engines are available before Nuclear Power Reactors as their isp is signifinctly lower and are more suitable to nearby interplanetary destinations (to Duna and Eve) and Nuclear Power Electric Engines for longer destintions (Jool and Moho)

To Solve it what could be done , to Nuclear Propulsion should require only precisionEngineering, while adding "Nuclear Propulsion" as a requirement to "Nuclear Power"

OEExZ0q.jpg

To make it visual a bit more clear I shifted nuclearPropulsion a bit to the left while moving nuclearPower a bit to the right

@TechTree:NEEDS[CommunityTechTree]:AFTER[zzzUnKerballedStart]
{
	@RDNode:HAS[#id[nuclearPropulsion]]
	{
		@pos = -2650,598,0
		-Parent{}
		Parent
		{
			parentID = precisionEngineering
			lineFrom = RIGHT
			lineTo = LEFT
		}
	}

@RDNode:HAS[#id[nuclearPower]]
	{
		@pos = -2550,490,0
		Parent
		{
			parentID = nuclearPropulsion
			lineFrom = RIGHT
			lineTo = LEFT
		}
	}
}

Edited by FreeThinker

Another suggestion I would recommend is to add specializedPlasmaGeneration as additional tech requirement to  exoticFusionRockets, as the tech represent a merge between Fusion Engines, Exotic Fusion Reactions and Specialized Plasma Engines

@RDNode:HAS[#id[exoticFusionRockets]]
	{
		Parent
		{
			parentID = specializedPlasmaGeneration
			lineFrom = RIGHT
			lineTo = LEFT
		}
	}

Also because "Specialized Plasma  Generation", logicly requires advances in "High Energy Science" (for PLasma Wakefield Accelerator Engine), I recommend adding it as an addition requirement for Specialized Plasma  Generation

@RDNode:HAS[#id[specializedPlasmaGeneration]]
	{
		Parent
		{
			parentID = highEnergyScience
			lineFrom = RIGHT
			lineTo = LEFT
		}
	}

Additionaly add a requirement for Advanced Fusion Reactions to Advanced Fusion Engine which realy requires it

@RDNode:HAS[#id[advFusionRockets]]
	{
		Parent
		{
			parentID = advFusionReactions
            		lineFrom = TOP
            		lineTo = BOTTOM
		}
	}

This result in the following endgame tree

L6u1xJB.jpg

Edited by FreeThinker

On 7/21/2019 at 5:11 PM, SpinkAkron said:

Thanks guys for helping each other out. I'm sorry I can't do anything on this for awhile. 

Meatspace screenshot of me not working on UKS:

O1DR2UW.jpg

Looks really good!  The color combination is really great.  You will need to post some pictures once it is complete!

Really enjoying this - really good to have a successor to SETI!

On 2/3/2019 at 4:52 AM, SpinkAkron said:

The only mods that are incompatible are other tech tree mods. All parts added by mods will work as designed but their position in the tech tree may not be consistent with the changes made by this mod. If you’d like a mod adapted, I’d be happy to make a config for it.

Would be great to have a config for Tantares.

8 hours ago, randomone said:

Is this research tree designed to be played with part unlock costs enabled? A lot of the early structural parts seem very expensive with it enabled, and I don't know if that's intentional or not.

Yep, early career game can be a harsh on hard setings, but it is doable with part unlock costs enabled. Additional chalange, you have to choose which exact part to unlock from certain tech tree node, you don't need to unlock them all at one. Only unlock those that you need for next mission and have to create craft with minimum costs to do the job, so you can get most profit from some contracts.

Edited by kcs123
typo

2 hours ago, randomone said:

Is this research tree designed to be played with part unlock costs enabled? A lot of the early structural parts seem very expensive with it enabled, and I don't know if that's intentional or not.

I didn't change any costs. I don't use unlock costs. I think it's a PITA so I greatly reduce my income instead. 

On 8/20/2019 at 12:16 PM, MacLuky said:

Love the mod. Question though: why do I need to build airplanes so that I can unlock aeroshells? can't we separate those? I'm not a fan of planes and it clutters the vab lists

I don't use airplanes either. Part of the aircraft path is aerodynamics containing shells etc since that makes sense to me. 

On 8/19/2019 at 10:27 AM, Tonas1997 said:

Icon for the life support node:

yE9YSYs.png

EDIT: idea for new Cryonics and Advanced Cryonics nodes (would only be used by DeepFreeze, but whatever):

IJgVyNL.png

B8fwL5G.png

Nice!

I'm alive!

I have been very busy this past summer, moving twice, travelling all over, and living in a temporary situation, but now that I'm back to teaching, things are starting to settle in. Once I'm able to set up my computer in my new apartment, I'll be able to get back to making KSP things (I expect and hope). I haven't even had the chance to install and play Breaking Ground yet! I do regret being gone for as long as I have.

I"m currently eyeing a new computer build too, with a lot more CPU, RAM, and GPU. It would be nice to be able to play KSP with all the mods I'd like to, and as soon as I start playing with more part mods, I'll be making UKS configs for them and sending them to @SpinkAkron for review and integration. 

So things are moving.

Also, hey, KSP2 has been announced. That ought to be interesting.

Edited by theonegalen

On 8/20/2019 at 12:16 PM, MacLuky said:

Love the mod. Question though: why do I need to build airplanes so that I can unlock aeroshells? can't we separate those? I'm not a fan of planes and it clutters the vab lists

You can use this mod to trim down parts you don't use. You can block part in VAB, SPH or both. Has ongoing list so if you need to unblock them later it is easy to do. Works excellent for trimming the fat in the VAB and SPH.

Hello! I'm wondering if it's possible to add SXT and Kerbal Foundries to the tree :). In the meantime I've done some (very incomplete) MM patches following the templates. Also I use SmartParts and J2X Antenna (Playing on a larger Kerbol System - JNSQ) and have made a template for those as well. I thought I'd share them here :P *Use at your own risk*

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9pakr48ms7b7k9f/AACPEOL-h7UBs0MfdEPpNJjCa?dl=0

Great Mod!

Edited by Canadientire
Added KerbalFoundries

Thank you everyone for your patience. Painting season is drawing to a close and I'm only half done, so there will be a season two. I got a few more good weekends yet depending on the weather. I am starting the process of re-familiarizing myself with KSP. Then I need to go back through these posts and compile a list of what needs done for the next release. Not imminent but starting to move back up the priority list.

Meatspace screenshot chez Akron.

BgbaLKo.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.