[1.8.x] UnKerballed Start v1.1.0 (updated Oct 27, 2019)

SpinkAkron

11 minutes ago, SpinkAkron said:

Ok, that's where RLA put them.  I didn't move that engine type since I'm not familiar with them.  Where do you think they should go?

No clue. They are basically monoprop engines that also uses electricity, they're sort of a middle ground between monoprop engines and straight ion engines. They have a decent thrust of about 5.5kN with a ISP of 1350. So probably somewhere in the electric propulsion line, but im not sure.

Hi there!!

This might be a dumb question, when a new version of KSP does the retexture and adding new parts, I know that it will impact a tech tree mod, when UnKerballed updates, will it have an impact on a current save to where I might have to restart?

2 hours ago, gamerscircle said:

Hi there!!

This might be a dumb question, when a new version of KSP does the retexture and adding new parts, I know that it will impact a tech tree mod, when UnKerballed updates, will it have an impact on a current save to where I might have to restart?

I've been looking at the changes for 1.7.  There's a couple new nose cones I'll have to account for.  If I moved them from a node you've unlocked to one you haven't , that would impact your save.  I don't anticipate anything more than that.  When we release the next version, I'll add a note for save game impact.  

Currently doing a career playthrough with this mod, and the level of progression feels much better than the ol'UBM, great work! I do have a comment regarding the placement of the first fairing unlock (0.625m). It seems to me that it should be in T2 rather than T3 due to its simplicity in design. Additionally, the fairing does absolutely nothing to shroud the first 2 probe cores unlocked (Stayputnik and QBE) without the help from tweakscale, but maybe that's intentional.  

On 4/11/2019 at 10:10 PM, symphons said:

Currently doing a career playthrough with this mod, and the level of progression feels much better than the ol'UBM, great work! I do have a comment regarding the placement of the first fairing unlock (0.625m). It seems to me that it should be in T2 rather than T3 due to its simplicity in design. Additionally, the fairing does absolutely nothing to shroud the first 2 probe cores unlocked (Stayputnik and QBE) without the help from tweakscale, but maybe that's intentional.  

I'm glad you're enjoying it. As far as the fairing goes, I don't think we put a great deal of thought into it. We just put it one tier sooner than the 1.25m version.  You can use it on the early cores if you flare it out. 

1.0.5 Released

1.0.5    Re-disabled the CustomBarnKit.cfg. In previous versions, I had mistakenly included the non-disabled version.
            Added compatabiltiy for 1.7

Savegame impact - moderate - You'll need to re-enable the CustomBarnKit.cfg if you want to swap the VAB/Launchpad upgrade costs.

I changed the thread title to reflect compatability for 1.7, 1.6, 1.5, and 1.4.  If there's some reason that is not the case, please let me know. 

Edited by SpinkAkron

Well, I sure botched this one. I missed the changes to the engine names for 1.7 so they were not being moved to the correct nodes.  Sorry for the inconvenience

1.0.7    Added the rest of the changed parts for 1.7. Derp.
             Reduced cost of Custom Fuel Tanks node

Is anyone else seeing a issue with misplaced build nodes on LY10 Spacely ?

I am asking to check if it is just a buggy install for only me. I have got nodes way above and below where the are supposed to be.

I can easily use the node code from same sized engine to fix but want to know if this a standalone issue or a broken mod.

EDIT: Issue is with Missing History. It breaks the connection nodes.

Edited by nobodyhasthis2

18 hours ago, Bill the Kerbal said:

@SpinkAkron any chance of sstu integration?

I'll take a look.

18 hours ago, nobodyhasthis2 said:

Is anyone else seeing a issue with misplaced build nodes on LY10 Spacely ?

I am asking to check if it is just a buggy install for only me. I have got nodes way above and below where the are supposed to be.

I can easily use the node code from same sized engine to fix but want to know if this a standalone issue or a broken mod.

EDIT: Issue is with Missing History. It breaks the connection nodes.

The nodes are adjusted depending on whether Missing History and/or Restock is installed. I just tested with and without the various mods and it's working ok for me.  What version of UKS are you using?

8 hours ago, SpinkAkron said:

I'll take a look.

The nodes are adjusted depending on whether Missing History and/or Restock is installed. I just tested with and without the various mods and it's working ok for me.  What version of UKS are you using?

Fixed by forcing update to latest as it is backward compatible. Orginal install was:

Test build for debugging the logic. No othe mods apart from dependancy files.

Running KSP 1.6.1

Unkerballed Start 1.0.4

Missing History 1.7.2

ReStock 0.1.3

I am curious. Did you release 1.0.4 twice to Spacedock without a version number change ?

On 3/18/2019 at 3:19 AM, SpinkAkron said:

1.0.4 released.

1.0.4    Fixed the fix for LV10 attachment nodes that I failed to fix.

I'm sorry guys, I screwed up the Restock fix for the LV10 when Missing History is also installed.

Just bumped versions on CKAN and that fixed it.

By the way Is the source code up on Git?

Edited by nobodyhasthis2

2 hours ago, nobodyhasthis2 said:

Just bumped versions on CKAN and that fixed it.

By the way Is the source code up on Git?

I'm glad you got it sorted.  The entire mod is 'source code' as it's all Module Manager patches and not compiled.

On another topic. Some thinking about my next playthrough that might amuse people ....

Following the brilliant Hard Core playthrough but with more mods. I had a better start using k-OS script from the Achive that runs science on launch pad before and after launch. That elimitates ground testing missions early game. Just make sure there is enough power to transmit of all the data. Brining down the collection to 10 seconds helps too if your trying to catch another biome early on.

I got very desperate for science early game. Unlocked early flight and used Airplane Plus to supply a Barnstormer Cockpit. Then used it to launch my single pilot on a solid rocket. She bailed out and used her own chute to land giving me EVA report from flying low. There was no way to recover the craft with a survival node unlocked. Dangerous but nessary.

The question is this just a bit cheaty?

Feeling ok with this at the moment. Early aircraft are still potential "Kerbal killers" to quote Spink. It works but it is an expensive way to unlock another node as the craft get destroyed. All that I could get was EVA report and had to transmit everyting else before ejection. Also there is chance that there is no pilots at the start of the game if Earn your stripes changes does not use the famous four. Getting a pilot after start is expensive.

Had fun and then considered using the mod EVA Parachutes & Ejection Seats a bit to expand on the idea of bad starting panes. As the through of "punching out" of crappy early aircraft that don't land correctly is a bit crazy. Could also be the abort escape on the later Kemini launches. Before escape tower ejection on Kpollo mun missions. Will have to experiment more here.

Another play balance decision during testing was think about using the early launch stands from Sounding Rockets. Not a recommended mod for conversion with all the extra science experiments and super op command module. However it does come with a launch stick part ( SR_LaunchStick ) that kind of fits in. Experimented with "aiming" for other nearby biomes using launch sticks that drop off with the wind after launch. Not too unbalancing as getting the flight right with no steering was trickey and had plenty room for error. Will probabley leave them out of the playthrough for now as everything else was in the mod was op and needed cut out with Janitor.

One thing I really must do is nerf all the technology unlocking costs for the starting structure parts. The steel beam at the start is way too expensive. Building test stands should be possible early on.

Edited by nobodyhasthis2

@SpinkAkron Just downloaded this mod and am starting to play around with it, Seems cool so far. Was going to make a bug report, but in the process of typing it out, and getting screenshots together, I realized that my sleep-deprived self had made a mistake, and there was no bug. Go me. One actual question, I've removed the stock fixed landing gear from my game. I despise them. I usually move the LY-10 small landing gear to the place where the fixed landing gear starts and use the LY-10 as a starter landing gear. With this mod that gear starts much farther down the tech tree, and as such I have no landing gear to use for the beginner planes. What would be the easiest way to move it up the tree into the starting aeronautics spot, without breaking your mod? I have very limited experience with making or altering MM configs.

17 hours ago, vardicd said:

@SpinkAkron Just downloaded this mod and am starting to play around with it, Seems cool so far. Was going to make a bug report, but in the process of typing it out, and getting screenshots together, I realized that my sleep-deprived self had made a mistake, and there was no bug. Go me. One actual question, I've removed the stock fixed landing gear from my game. I despise them. I usually move the LY-10 small landing gear to the place where the fixed landing gear starts and use the LY-10 as a starter landing gear. With this mod that gear starts much farther down the tech tree, and as such I have no landing gear to use for the beginner planes. What would be the easiest way to move it up the tree into the starting aeronautics spot, without breaking your mod? I have very limited experience with making or altering MM configs.

It's really easy.  Take a look at the cfg files in the UnKerballedStart\Mod Support folder

3 hours ago, SpinkAkron said:

It's really easy.  Take a look at the cfg files in the UnKerballedStart\Mod Support folder

I ended up trial and error-ing it. A lot of error. A LOT. I broke things, so many things, but eventually I got it done right.

1 hour ago, FreeThinker said:

@SpinkAkron Would you also be willing to add support for KSPIE? A major challenge might be to integrate the additional technotes which it introduces to extend CTT.

It's already supported. There is a InterstellarExtended.cfg in the Mod Support folder.  Is it not working?

8 hours ago, vardicd said:

I ended up trial and error-ing it. A lot of error. A LOT. I broke things, so many things, but eventually I got it done right.

That's how I did it too.

Just downloaded and reviewed. This looks really cool and i may try for my next playthrough. I saw a couple of things that confused me. Most notably that you stuck with the stock idea that the different height 1.25m fuel tanks each are on their own tech nodes. This always struck me as odd because it makes for really annoying early rockets with stacks of smaller tanks and there's not really a tech reason for it.

I guess I can just mod the tree myself, but before I did I was hoping to understand why you made that choice?

Thx :) 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.