[1.8.x] UnKerballed Start v1.1.0 (updated Oct 27, 2019)

SpinkAkron

17 hours ago, MysticDaedra said:

Will this be on CKAN?

Not as a separate mod.

59 minutes ago, SpinkAkron said:

UKS Version 1.0.8 version with 1.7.X  compatibility now on SpaceDock. (Should appear on CKAN soon) 

SPACEDOCK LINK

Could you please upload that release to the normal https://spacedock.info/mod/2074 page instead of creating a separate "UKS for 1.7.X" mod listing? You should still be able to choose 1.7 as its version on SpaceDock. Trying to treat this as a separate mod is going to create headaches for everyone down the road.

40 minutes ago, HebaruSan said:

Not as a separate mod.

Could you please upload that release to the normal https://spacedock.info/mod/2074 page instead of creating a separate "UKS for 1.7.X" mod listing? You should still be able to choose 1.7 as its version on SpaceDock. Trying to treat this as a separate mod is going to create headaches for everyone down the road.

I'll take a look.  I wasn't aware I could do multiple versions. Will BOTH versions still show on CKAN?  That's my primary motivation for doing this.

Edited by SpinkAkron
BOTH

1 hour ago, SpinkAkron said:

I'll take a look.  I wasn't aware I could do multiple versions. Will BOTH versions still show on CKAN?  That's my primary motivation for doing this.

All versions show up in CKAN, depending on which game version you have installed.

DFQqik9.png

Going to give this mod a go, I always wanted to try Unmanned Before Manned, but it hasn't been updated. I like what you are doing with tech tree. I was using CTT, but pulled it out in 1.8 since it hasn't been updated. But it is nice you have your own tech tree and it works well with mods.

5 hours ago, therealcrow999 said:

Going to give this mod a go, I always wanted to try Unmanned Before Manned, but it hasn't been updated. I like what you are doing with tech tree. I was using CTT, but pulled it out in 1.8 since it hasn't been updated. But it is nice you have your own tech tree and it works well with mods.

CTT works in 1.8, and this mod worked in 1.7.3.

19 minutes ago, Cruesoe said:

I use Hide Empty nodes with this and it appears to work fine. I know others that do as well without issue.

Alright thanks. I haven't played KSP in a very long while. I am going through my mods and removing some that aren't useful. I might go ahead and keep Empty Tree mod. 

4 hours ago, therealcrow999 said:

Does this mod work with Hide Empty Tech Tree Nodes? Does anyone use Hide Empty Tech Tree Nodes with this mod, or should I scrap Empty Tech Tree Node mod? Thanks.

It works well together (at least in 1.7.3, I haven't installed that mod yet since I'm kind of a noob and listen to what CKAN tells me) and you can get a cool hint on how to avoid the "Tier levels", which UnkerballedStart adds, being hidden here:

53 minutes ago, MysticDaedra said:

Perhaps you misunderstood? Or I wasn't clear? This is the thread for the mod, "UnKerballed Start" is it not? I'm not sure what you mean by "not as a separate mod." 

He means that there won't be a separate listing as in

• UKS for 1.7.1
  • UKS for 1.8.0

It will be just a version increment, so the single entry in the CKAN list will install the correct version depending on the CKAN settings.

There is a syntax flaw that makes this whole mod not work at all.

I see a lot of

AFTER[zzzUnKerballedStart]
and
BEFORE[zzzUnKerballedStart]

The MM syntax logic is that these only work if there is a
FOR[zzzUnKerballedStart]

So I searched for it and only found two files which contain them:
GameData\UnKerballedStart\Mod Support\MakingHistory.cfg
GameData\UnKerballedStart\Mod Support\Snacks.cfg

Because I neither got MH nor Snacks it looks like the mod is totally ignored.

Is this intended?

" zzzUnKerballedStart " is probably leftover folder name while this mod was in development. Since that folder does not exist in published release, MM command BEFORE and AFTER are just ignored and patch is applied by order of UnkerballedStart name inside of GameData folder. "FOR" command is deprecated and should be avoided and since you don't have either, Snacks or MH, MM patches for those are not applied at all. I learned that while I was creating MM patches for personal use.

Despite those mistakes, mod works as intended. New tech tree is presend in R&D building and parts are re-arranged trough tech tree as intended. If it does not work for you then you must have missing some dependency, like Ctt or something.

Some issues with the newest Restock release. The Cogswell and Spacely engines are missing after updating to the new release. Reverting to the old restock brings them back.

Possibling a MM patching issue? Nertea says they changed their method in the lastest restock.

1 hour ago, Nertea said:

Further to the posts made above, all the Restock patches now correctly declare 

:FOR[ReStock]

to ensure passes run correctly. This may have affected how your derivatives for the engines are created. 

Thanks! I THINK that lead me to a fix.

I've added 

:HAS[~RestockIgnore[*]]:FOR[ReStock]

after

+PART[liquidEngine2]

online line 3 of \parts\UKSliquidEngineLVT05.cfg and UKSliquidEngineLVT10.cfg (just [liquidEngine] for the 05).

And the engines are showing up again. 

A bit of a hack I think since this would probably break it for anyone not running restock, but it shouldn't be needed for anyone not running it.

Edited by Logicsol
more info

Hey there! I'm a big fan of this mod, it adds a wonderful layer of realism to KSP. A quick bit of feedback, the helicopter tail rotor (EM-16S) is for some reason positioned in the advanced landing node, much later in the tree than the main helicopter engine and blades.

I dug through the files to figure out where the problem was, and it turns out, in the .cfg Breaking Ground, the Rotorengine_02 and Rotorengine_03 are well placed in their rightful nodes (the helicopter and airplane main engines) but Rotorengine_01 was nowhere to be found and I suppose it just showed up in advanced landing. Just thought you should know for a later patch or version... Thanks again for this great mod!!

Peace,

H

If you use ReStockPlus, the new version deprecates the Mallet and the Striker, because KSP 1.8 adds the Mite and the Shrimp.
So - you are left with zero propulsion options in the Start and BasicRocketry tech tree nodes.

In a normal game, you can milk a bit of science from the KSC biomes to get up to BasicRocketry, but that only gets you a liquid engine.
I believe the idea of the mod was to start with SRBs, so I've created a patch that moves the Mite and the Shrimp in the same way the Mallet and Striker were moved last version.

Two changes to UnKerballedStart.cfg:

Line 16 (start node):
@PART[batteryPack|SurfAntenna|sensorThermometer|probeCoreSphere_v2|Mite]:NEEDS[CommunityTechTree]:BEFORE[zzzUnKerballedStart]

Line 26 - Add an entry for the basicRocketry node:

@PART[Shrimp]:NEEDS[CommunityTechTree]:BEFORE[zzzUnKerballedStart]
{
        @TechRequired = basicRocketry
}

There are two other parts deprecated in RestockPlus in the same way, a 1.8 metre SRB called the Anvil and a 1.8m nose cone.
They probably also have new stock versions, but I've yet to reach them in the tech tree to know where they go.

Edited by njd80
Correction

Well, I just got it that I misunderstood the MM syntax.

It's just that I was irritated by the huge use of BEFORE, then a very little FOR and another big bunch of AFTER.

But besides that, I just recognized that BDB is not supported yet.
I guess I wished / assumed that it would be supported and this fact made my confusion even deeper.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.