[Windows 10] Gamepad Help

ZooNamedGames

I've got a SNES USB controller (probably have mentioned this before), and it works with very few games and I'd like to get it working so I'm wondering. Is there a software that allows it to be read and compatible with most games? I've heard of XDirect or whatever it's called but that's for Xbox 360 controllers.

So any thoughts? Help? Thanks.

should come up as a standard game controller. problem is a lot of games use xinput, which i find grossly inferior to the legacy direct input. there is software to convert direct input controls to xinput controls. just google 'directinput to xinput'. ive used several but cant remember any off the top of my head.

Edited by Nuke

1 hour ago, Nuke said:

should come up as a standard game controller.

If it does, you are all set. Check if it shows as a game controller in Control Panel\Hardware and sound\Devices and Printers. (While you are here, you might want to calibrate it : right click and PropertiesGame controller settings, PropertiesSettings and Calibrate.) Then just launch KSP and set your controls in the settings. If it doesn't, you'll have to spend some time on Google, I guess.

2 hours ago, PunkyFickle said:

If it does, you are all set. Check if it shows as a game controller in Control Panel\Hardware and sound\Devices and Printers. (While you are here, you might want to calibrate it : right click and PropertiesGame controller settings, PropertiesSettings and Calibrate.) Then just launch KSP and set your controls in the settings. If it doesn't, you'll have to spend some time on Google, I guess.

biggest issue is like most games, the Dpad is never detected or is treated as buttons and can't be set for certain options.

9 hours ago, PunkyFickle said:

i got lots of standard game controllers (usb hid devices) you cant use in xinput games without a 3rd party wrapper. a product of ms trying to merge its xbox and windows codebases and push xbox branded devices on windows users rather than support industry standards like usb hid devices. i remember when they were doing that games for windows bs, where nothing supported my high end ch controllers without hax. 

Edited by Nuke

8 hours ago, Nuke said:

without a 3rd party wrapper

That's odd for a company that prides itself on the universality of its products... I don't quite understand how directinput is not usable if it still is embedded in Windows. Is it a limitation on the games end? By the way, how come are not directinput and xinput merged or at least that converter provided by Windows? I don't understand how those two can coexist without interacting.

its not that it isnt still usable, windows comes with both apis. its that almost everything is a console port now. and its easier just to use the same code on pc as you do on the xbox. ms was also actively encouraging developers to stop using direct input in faver of the newer "better" library. add to the fact that there is no built in translation layer between the two facilitating the need of a third party program. they couldn't flat out deprecate direct input either because there are a lot of non-gaming applications where you need to build control interfaces. 

direct input supports a lot of functions on one controller. like 8 axes and i think 128 buttons, and 2 hats (maybe 4 idk). when you look at the xinput library, controller capabilities are a lot more limited. pretty much if its not on the standard xbox game pad, its not supported. i think that limits you to like 10 buttons and 6 axes, plus a dpad. im of the opinion that it wasnt broke and it didnt neeed fixing. if ms wanted to do things the right way they would put out another input library that can work with any kind of controller imaginable that would instantly obsolete both libs (even on xbox).

windows still doesnt support a lot of things out of the box. usb and bluetooth hid stacks are pretty versatile you can cram in controls until you are out of bandwidth (or more likely flash mem on your microcontroller, those descriptors are huge). things that can output more than what can fit into a byte or two, think absolute positioning systems or controls that actually indicate real world units at really high resolution (usb hid actually supports this), but for the purposes of game apis only a small subset is made available to game devs, and xinput was a major step backwards. it was a cash grab plain and simple.

Edited by Nuke

On 2/11/2019 at 5:03 AM, PunkyFickle said:

So they downgraded their interface API to lock the controller market to their own xbox controllers. I like that. That kind of sound decision really makes the world go the right way.

its fine and dandy until you cant get your $500 hotas to work with your game.

Edited by Nuke

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.