[WIP][1.6] Infernal Robotics Sequencer (NEXT) 3.0.1

Valren_Starlord

wMsw9nF.png

Infernal Robotics Sequencer development sequel

This mod is an Addon of Infernal Robotics Next and will not work without !

And obviously needs Module Manager (not included)

giphy.gif

Hello everyone ! 

From today, I'll now assume the maintenance and continuation of the Infernal Robotics Sequencer addon for Infernal Robotics Next, with the courtesy of @Rudolf Meier.

Even if I have some exprerience as a software developper, I'm very new to modding and KSP modding so I count on you to report on this topic every mistake that I could have done to ensure the quality and transparency of my work.

Let's talk about the mod !

Reminder of what it does :

This mod works as state machine that allows you create and play sequences of servo movement commands and special commands, like GoTo, Toggle ActionGroup, Delay and Wait. (Very useful for all your mechas)

What will happens :

First, I'll stabilize the mod, by maybe reworking some parts of the code and release bugfixes based on issues you could report on this topic or GitHub.

Then, I'll work on improvements of existing features or adding new features if possible. (If hou have ideas, share them with this topic, you're welcome)

Spoiler

Changelog :

* Version 3.0.1 : fixed some excrements

Huge Credits to @ZodiusInfuser, @erendrake, @Ziw and @Rudolf Meier for their previous work.

Download: https://github.com/ValrenStarlord/IR-Sequencer/releases/tag/3.0.1

Source: https://github.com/ValrenStarlord/IR-Sequencer

License: GNU GPL version 3, 29 July 2007.

How To Install

As long as the mod will be in rework, I highly recommend to delete the previous IR Sequencer folder each time a new version will be released in case file names change, so that the old files don't stay and create weird things in-game.

Otherwise, just copy the content of the MagicSmokeIndutries folder inside the existing MagicSmokeIndustries of your GameData folder.

As said above, report any problem you could encounter with the mod in this topic or open an issue on GitHub, I'll work on as soon as possible.

Enjoy !

Edited by Valren_Starlord

3 minutes ago, kcs123 said:

It is not clear from OP, is it intended to work with original IR plugin or with new IR next plugin and new configs for IR parts (compatible with IR next) ?

It's compatible with Infernal Robotics Next, never tested it with the original IR mod, I'll edit my first message to disambiguate it

6 hours ago, Valren_Starlord said:

It's compatible with Infernal Robotics Next, never tested it with the original IR mod, I'll edit my first message to disambiguate it

Maybe extend the name a little? Infernal Robotics Sequencer NEXT... or IR Sequencer NEXT?... might help keep people from mixing up this and the original, in the future, or asking the same question again :P

But good job, either way :thumbs_up: :P

Edited by Stone Blue

On 2/3/2019 at 5:25 PM, Valren_Starlord said:

Hello everyone ! 

From today, I'll now assume the maintenance and continuation of the Infernal Robotics Sequencer addon for Infernal Robotics Next, with the courtesy of @Rudolf Meier.

Even if I have some exprerience as a software developper, I'm very new to modding and KSP modding so I count on you to report on this topic every mistake that I could have done to ensure the quality and transparency of my work.

Great to see this being taken over from Ziw and Rudolf! I remember us having big plans for this back in the day (and IR itself) but real life got in the way so the state machine functionality was the last feature that got implemented.

On 2/4/2019 at 1:01 AM, Stone Blue said:

Maybe extend the name a little? Infernal Robotics Sequencer NEXT... or IR Sequencer NEXT?... might help keep people from mixing up this and the original, in the future, or asking the same question again :P

But good job, either way :thumbs_up: :P

I could do him a custom banner image too if he really wants ;). I still have all the old IR logo and UI assets in svg format after all.

Edited by ZodiusInfuser

42 minutes ago, ZodiusInfuser said:

I could do him a custom banner image too if he really wants ;). I still have all the old IR logo and UI assets in svg format after all.

The great ZodiusInfuser is here, I feel blessed ! 

Jokes apart, I edited the topic's title this morning, to disambiguates it even more. I wouldn't waste your time so do it only if you have time for it :D

Strange situation - Sequencer is not sequencing in editor - all operations happens immediately, w/o progressing in movement, all parts moving from start position to end position immediately.

In fly looks like works fine, but it useless without pretesting in editor.

KSP v 1.6.1 + Mission pack (and can provide any required info)

13 minutes ago, Shirson said:

Strange situation - Sequencer is not sequencing in editor - all operations happens immediately, w/o progressing in movement, all parts moving from start position to end position immediately.

In fly looks like works fine, but it useless without pretesting in editor.

In the original mod, the Sequencer wasn't available in VAB/SPH because it couldn't work properly, in editor a lot of things like the physics aren't fully simulated.

I saw this problem too when I tested it so I was thinking about remove the sequencer button in editor and obviously assure that modifications of sequences made while in flight are saved.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Good day!
Thank you very much for your work!
But there is one problem. When I start the sequence, the gears get stuck in a position close to that prescribed in the sequencer.
The deviation does not exceed 0.04 from the set value and the servo does not move at this moment. But the mod thinks that the task for the servo is not completed.
This does not allow the continuation of the sequence if the "servo wait" is located further.
Changing the size and speed of the servo does not help. Rebooting does not help. Details are connected without load. The mechanism is suspended above the ground and contains only truss and servos.
Is there a solution to this problem?
I apologize for Google translate.

When I start the sequence, the gears get stuck in a position close to that prescribed in the sequencer.
The deviation does not exceed 0.04 from the set value and the servo does not move at this moment. But the mod thinks that the task for the servo is not completed.
This does not allow the continuation of the sequence if the "servo wait" is located further.

I have the same problem. Sequencer sometimes hanges execution on some steps, mostly on the last. I can't simply use it. Is there some WA?

Edited by Wowcheg

On 2/18/2019 at 10:42 AM, Wowcheg said:

I have the same problem. Sequencer sometimes hanges execution on some steps, mostly on the last. I can't simply use it. Is there some WA?

So... that's not actually a bug. Or it is? Anyway, when servo gets as target some value it can't reach, servo gets hagned and never ends it's execution. That happens because of original IR parts logic: they finishing moves on their maximum/minimum possible value, not more/less, but sequencer set parts as finished only when target value reached. Maybe I can fix it, if you want to.

Edited by Wowcheg

• 1 month later...

I have many questions, how does this add-on work? How can I configure? For apparently no sequencer appears in SPH, and even when it appears it is empty and without actions, I could never use this add-on for real, it would be great a tutorial of how to do everything from how to install to how to make it work. (PS: I'm using version 1.6.1 of the game)

32 minutes ago, Catatau_27 said:

I have many questions, how does this add-on work? How can I configure? For apparently no sequencer appears in SPH, and even when it appears it is empty and without actions, I could never use this add-on for real, it would be great a tutorial of how to do everything from how to install to how to make it work. (PS: I'm using version 1.6.1 of the game)

You may find better info about it in old IR thread:

Search for  @Tirehtoori R.I.P posts or those from @V8jester. IIRC they described craft building with IR parts and sequencer more detailed, somewhere on forum.
You may also need to search for youtube videos for examples, like this:

In nutshell, sequencer alone does not have any parts. It is plugin that allows you to move certain IR parts or group of parts in desired order, wait for desired time, move some other group of IR parts and repeat everything again in sequence or exact desired order. You need to put advanced control probe on craft to be able to use sequencer in SPH and in flight. I'm no longer sure about SPH/VAB, there was a lot of changes since I used it last time.

@Catatau_27 I’d suggest doing a bit of digging on YouTube. Also through the sequencer thread. And for some shameless “advertising” of what @kcs123 was talking about. Here is a sped up video of me configuring a walking mech from start to finish. (You’ll probably need to watch on a Pc and pause a lot to see what’s actually going on)

https://youtu.be/zapZKqLvaLE

And truly dig into what @Tirehtoori R.I.P has on YouTube. Really amazing work. He was the guy that showed me what I know about mechs.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/10/2019 at 7:08 PM, V8jester said:

@Catatau_27 I’d suggest doing a bit of digging on YouTube. Also through the sequencer thread. And for some shameless “advertising” of what @kcs123 was talking about. Here is a sped up video of me configuring a walking mech from start to finish. (You’ll probably need to watch on a Pc and pause a lot to see what’s actually going on)

https://youtu.be/zapZKqLvaLE

And truly dig into what @Tirehtoori R.I.P has on YouTube. Really amazing work. He was the guy that showed me what I know about mechs.

I HEARD SOMEBODY CALL ME!!!!!!!!!!!!! xD

• 4 weeks later...

Hello there, I just reinstalled everything clean on an 1.7 version so I'll let you know if there is still an issue. But with my standard installed add-on, I didn't encounter any issue previously (I mean on version 1.6.x)

What I noticed is when I play on 1.7 with the sequencer installed, every load of the ship in the VAB or the launchpad generate a longer list of entries from the sequencer, and weren't able to find from which add-on this issue is coming... I'll make test and tell you more if I am able to find it. But it ultimately lead to big memory leak and crash of the game (which don't happens if I remove the sequencer).

Please let me now if any of you encountered this issue.

Hi @Valren_Starlord, can't get this to work, the controls in editor aren't the same in-flight so i can't move anything...

Im on KSP 1.6.1 on latest release of the mod. I remember before there was a hidden setting i needed to active to get it to work?

EDIT: I got it to work with KJR

Thanks for the awesomeness :D

Edited by Cratzz

22 minutes ago, linecrafter said:

The sequencer button doesn't appear anywhere, what info do I need to provide for support?

i guess i'll give some info

ksp 1.6.1 

gamedata 

https://pasteboard.co/IgZkfUJ.png

i installed IR next released version and not from the link from this thread\

ksp log 

https://pastebin.com/uXjncwWr

my crafts had robotic parts and an IR controller part

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.