[1.8.x-1.12.x] Moar Filter Extension Configs [04-Mar-2020]

leatherneck6017

New release v1.0.2

• Added a check to prevent filter from showing old Squad parts that are somehow still in the game. These parts were "replaced" by squad by changing the original part categories to "none". But FE does not differentiate without being told to do so in a config file.

• Added a config to fix invalid categories on a few Squad parts. Now they will show up in the proper sub-category for their size.

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey there! I've been searching for something like this for quite some time now, so thank you for creating it! I found that the Spider engine (radialEngineMini.v2) is not categorized- I'll keep in mind for any other parts that might have slipped through the cracks.

1 hour ago, Avera9eJoe said:

Hey there! I've been searching for something like this for quite some time now, so thank you for creating it! I found that the Spider engine (radialEngineMini.v2) is not categorized- I'll keep in mind for any other parts that might have slipped through the cracks.

Probably revamped parts that got new titles like the Stayputnik v2 or the Spark v2 etc. etc.

3 hours ago, Avera9eJoe said:

Thanks for the report. I looked at the part cfg file and see the problem; its bulkhead profile is "sfc" only.

When I created these configs, I hesitated to add a size filter for surface because the side bar was already pretty crowded. Adding another icon didn't seem worth it at the time. In fact, @DStaal even commented on page 1 that he wouldn't use these configs because of the space they take up.

I do see a need for it now. Especially for heavily part modded games. I've opened an issue on GitHub and will add the filter to the next release which is pending a PR  for @linuxgurugamer's Filter Extensions.

It is almost complete... 

mKdGTAk.png2SX4bAU.png

Quick video demo:

Spoiler

I sometimes can get very intense with how things are organized, and with inspiration from your OP I went through and made my own set of custom categories using the stock functionality with slightly expanded lists. I separated "Aerodynamic" into "Nosecone", "Intake", and "Wing" so that you aren't forced to stare at nosecones and intakes when you trying to compare wing pieces or versa when trying to pick a nosecone and forced  to stare at intakes, made a custom icon for propellers which I put into their own category, and a custom icon for <0.625m parts which have their own category as well. I also created expanded lists for each bulkhead size just like you have in your mod. There are a handful of parts that can be considered in multiple categories (Ex. the diverterless intake/engine nacelle/engine precooler are both intakes and 1.25m fuel tanks; the shielded docking port is both a docking port and a nosecone; the structural pylons are both structural and decouplers), and so I listed those parts in both categories so they are always on hand. I would have included them both the default categories, but the game seems to list it in only oen if you try to list multiple in the config or via a MM patch. You will also notice that everything is ACTUALLY ORDERED BY SIZE... thank Kod. I'm using Community Part Tiles to rename the bulk of the editor so everything is organized by bulkhead size instead of arbitrary names, and a custom localization patch to rename the few parts that still didn't cooperate like the mk1 plane capsules and radial monopropellant tanks (and about 30 others that I didn't mention). Here is the current PartList file, although it isn't completely finished yet as I still need to fill the "All" category for each bulkhead size. I've been waiting until I sorted the categories to do so. Any subcategory that has "zzz" in the title is unfinished.

I hope this is helpful in some way, my dream would be for this to have its own toolbar mod, so that the lists are locked so you can't accidentally press an "X" on a part and remove it from the list. It seems silly to me that that isn't a function. Anyways it's 5am and I need to get some sleep. :P

Edited by Avera9eJoe

7 hours ago, Avera9eJoe said:

I sometimes can get very intense with how things are organized

Same here. The scope of this set of configs was to take a step toward general organization that I felt was missing with the default Filter Extensions configs, keeping in mind that it would have to cover stock AND heavily part modded games. While it does a pretty good job, there are certainly things that it doesn't address.

Wow, that's impressive. I can't imagine how long it took you to create that.

so that the lists are locked so you can't accidentally press an "X" on a part and remove it from the list

Have you tried separating each one of the "CUSTOM_PARTLIST_CATEGORY" sections into it's own config file the same way I have the bulkhead profiles separated? Seems to me that would solve the problem of having these in custom categories that are easy to accidentally edit.

Edited by leatherneck6017
clarification

27 minutes ago, leatherneck6017 said:

Same here. The scope of this set of configs was to take a step toward general organization that I felt was missing with the default Filter Extensions configs, keeping in mind that it would have to cover stock AND heavily part modded games. While it does a pretty good job, there are certainly things that it doesn't address.

Wow, that's impressive. I can't imagine how long it took you to create that.

Have you tried separating each one of the "CUSTOM_PARTLIST_CATEGORY" sections into it's own config file the same way I have the bulkhead profiles separated? Seems to me that would solve the problem of having these in custom categories that are easy to accidentally edit.

Thank you! It seems like necessity often makes people to to crazy lengths :D

It did take a while, probably 2-3 days of just organizing. We worth it though, I enjoy projects like this.

Hm, putting them in their own config files removes the X's from each part in the editor?

Just now, leatherneck6017 said:

Well you'd have to create multiple configs, but yes. I don't, however, know if you can have custom sorting like you currently have.

The custom sorting comes from a localization patch and works by renaming the parts, so I don't think it would be an issue, it should copy over no problem. The one change would be that parts might not list in multiple categories like I set up in my custom lists, I did some testing and KSP doesn't seem to like putting parts in multiple places outside of the built-in list.

I think I will try this sometime next week (I'll be travelling this weekend or I'd do it sooner :(). Your configs are fairly straight forward to learn so I shouldn't have a hard time.

• 6 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.