Gas Planet 2? Poll

GP2  

106 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see GP2

• YES
    • NO
  2. 2. If so, how many moons would you want?

• I said NO for the first question!
    • Too many (5+)

Simple poll:

Would you like to see another gas planet besides Jool? 

If so describe the moon(s) you  would want in the GP2 system. 

FYI : I plan to do a poll almost once a month because of how popular (kinda) this was. 

Hint for next poll (minimally encoded, I'm not THAT nice):

Spoiler

Are you sure?

Spoiler

TOTORNOTTOT     Have Fun! 

Wait, wait, check my other new poll now: 

Edited by KSPACE
New poll plans

40 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

There are 2 mods which increase the rate of time warp

One is Time Control, and the 2nd is Better Time Warp

I am aware of that, but I was saying that if the devs added a second gas planet into stock, they should also add the increased time warp levels into stock so it doesn't take 20 minutes of time warping to get there.

I don't think there's need for another planet until they add something unique for the planets to have/do. We already have 3 lone rocky worlds on tilted orbits, we don't need to gas giants with moons.

Rings would be nice, especially if they had some kind of mass and damaged ships going through them too fast (read: Not orbiting the world nearly circular, nearly equatorial, in the correct direction).

Axial tilt is the big one I can think of.

GP2 replacing Moho would be cool, if not realistic in the least.

If we do get GP2, I'd rather it be an ice giant than a Saturn analogue, which Jool already is (without the rings). The new planet could also have interesting icy moons. That would also differentiate the kerbol system a little more compared to the solar system

Edited by EchoLima
Hit submit too soon

I just want them to finish the solar system. It bugs me (more than it probably should) that there's a Jupiter analog, a Pluto analog, and none of the planets in between.

please, you don't even have to do the work yourself, you could just make opm stock and i wouldn't mind

2 hours ago, EchoLima said:

If we do get GP2, I'd rather it be an ice giant than a Saturn analogue, which Jool already is (without the rings). The new planet could also have interesting icy moons. That would also differentiate the kerbol system a little more compared to the solar system

Why not a Uranus analog with 90º rings?

3 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

I don't think there's need for another planet until they add something unique for the planets to have/do. We already have 3 lone rocky worlds on tilted orbits, we don't need to gas giants with moons.

I'd argue that just having another massive target past Jool is enough of a reason. That way you could fly missions with efficient gravity assists, Voyager style.

Most of the time in KSP is spent planning maneuvers, at least for me. Adding another planet would allow for some fun maneuvers.

Edited by EchoLima
formatting

18 minutes ago, KSPACE said:

Ok, realistically 5x more than now. It's important to realize how long this would take in real life.  

100,000x warp is currently the limit. At that limit, one Kerbin year takes 1.5 minutes. Eeloo missions can take a while, maybe having a 3 year transit time if you are unlucky and have to coast a bit upwards before you  come back down to Eeloo's level. That's 4.5 minutes of waiting for warp. If we add GP2 farther than Eeloo, it could conceivably take 6 years or more on a poorly planned transfer, which is 9 minutes. And maybe 9 minutes back as well... Even with an extra 10x that would still be a full minute.

It sounds like most of you need to try the Outer Planets Mod. It has analogues for Saturn, Uranus, Neptune, and Pluto/Charon. I'm now on my first career game using it, and it has added a lot of enjoyment. If you try it, try it with ResearchBodies and TarsierSpaceTelescopes all together--you'll have to discover the bodies before you can go there or even see them in map view.

I don't think stock KSP could sensibly add another planet without moving Eeloo, and I don't think they'd be willing to move Eeloo because it would break peoples' saved games. OPM addressed that issue in a way that makes sense for a mod but wouldn't make sense for the main development.

1 hour ago, rfelipe200 said:

Why not a Uranus analog with 90º rings?

I don't believe axial tilt is implemented in KSP, and adding it would probably muck with the coordinate system.  In the config file for Titan in Real Solar System, for example, I found this:

// does nothing - axialTilt = 23.44

57 minutes ago, Ultimate Steve said:

100,000x warp is currently the limit. At that limit, one Kerbin year takes 1.5 minutes. Eeloo missions can take a while, maybe having a 3 year transit time if you are unlucky and have to coast a bit upwards before you  come back down to Eeloo's level. That's 4.5 minutes of waiting for warp. If we add GP2 farther than Eeloo, it could conceivably take 6 years or more on a poorly planned transfer, which is 9 minutes. And maybe 9 minutes back as well... Even with an extra 10x that would still be a full minute.

FYI, in OPM it takes 6 game years to get to the Saturn analogue with a well-planned transfer, 16 years for Uranus,  31 years for Neptune, and 45 years for Pluto. The planets are spaced out like their real-life equivalents. It took Cassini-Huygens 7 years to get to Saturn (though not with a direct transfer).

No. The stock planet art is just terrible, and without their planet making guy(NovaSilisko), who left quite some time ago, it's bound to be even worse. Leave the new planets to the modders who actually know how.

DISCLAIMER: I suck at making planets :P 

Nah, let's throw GP2 in as DLC content on a very high-inclination orbit as explanation for why it's not where it should be in the stock game.

Also, moon suggestions to mix things up with the environmental hazards:

• A moon whose atmosphere is excessively high in oxygen, causing jet engines to be almost as powerful as a rocket but overheat very quickly if you actually try to use them at full power (not to mention burning LF faster as well). Oh, and Kerbals can't take their helmets off there or else they die of hyperoxia.
  • A moon whose atmosphere is thin but very hot (as in, hotter than Moho), requiring many and powerful radiators to be able to burn the engines long enough to escape without the engines exploding from overheating.
  • A moon that has no atmosphere, but disproportionately high gravity for its size.
Edited by Fraktal

I'd suggest a planet named Arret, about 150 Gm from Kerbol, further out than even Eeloo. Oxygen-bearing, bit of a gigantic planet with a moon bigger than Tylo. It'll be a real challenge for players to get to, land on, and return from.

Spoiler

The joke: "Arret" is just "Terra" AKA Earth spelled backwards. This is not a serious suggestion.

A more serious suggestion might be a Kuiper belt object in a highly eccentric (e > 0.5) orbit, with a very tenuous atmosphere, something akin to real-life Mars where it's enough to screw you up if neglected but far too thin for effective main parachutes. This would add two interesting new challenges to KSP. Duna's atmosphere is somewhat thin, but it's far thicker than Mars's atmosphere, permitting things like spaceplanes and parachute-based landings, even if requiring more wing/parachute than Kerbin.

Edited by Starman4308

I'd definitely like a second gas giant. But even better I'd like to have a second star, making the whole system a distant binary pair. I realize travel times would suck because any realistic star would have to be at least 5 times farther away than Eeloo, but how cool would it be to explore a second solar system?

Just now, Puddle Jumper said:

I'd definitely like a second gas giant. But even better I'd like to have a second star, making the whole system a distant binary pair. I realize travel times would suck because any realistic star would have to be at least 5 times farther away than Eeloo, but how cool would it be to explore a second solar system?

They would either need to increase the maximum time warp speed, or add futuristic propulsion technology like antimatter drives. If they did add a second solar system, I would expect it to be a DLC like Making History, with new technology and a new solar system. 

On 2/5/2019 at 2:20 AM, 5thHorseman said:

Rings would be nice, especially if they had some kind of mass and damaged ships going through them too fast (read: Not orbiting the world nearly circular, nearly equatorial, in the correct direction).

Actually, rings themself are not dense enough to damage a spacecraft. NASA Cassini mission passed through Saturnus rings with no problem. Facticaly, it is a dust cloud some kilometers thick. The most danger is numerous ice clods orbiting there, but most resent researches shows that they are not solid too and more similar to large snowflakes then ice shards.

Speaking aboud game development, rings may be implemented as an athmosphere area with procedure generated objects on approach. Adding it as a biome may expand gameplay with intersting experiments.

I feel like stock Ksp planets need some characteristics/features that are really quite common (and, in some cases uncommon) in real-life. Eg:

> some form of ring

> an inclined spinning axis ( I don't know the correct term) 

> a stupidly inclined orbit of a moon

> occasional impacts that may endanger your crafts. 

These ideas are all purely speculation and I don't expect them to be implemented however they would add a portion of realism that may add or possibly detract from the experience

(sorry for the exceptionally long post) 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.