Gas Planet 2? Poll

GP2  

106 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see GP2

• YES
    • NO
  2. 2. If so, how many moons would you want?

• I said NO for the first question!
    • Too many (5+)

On 2/4/2019 at 3:44 PM, SchwinnTropius said:

I'd like to see one, a Saturn-like world with prominent rings. One moon could be based on Titan. Another moon could be made to be incredibly difficult to land onto without crashing/poofing on the surface. 

Yes a ringed world

On 2/4/2019 at 5:01 PM, KSPACE said:

Simple poll:

Would you like to see another gas planet besides Jool? 

Nope. There are some utterly amazing planet mods out there. They do well to feed my need for more planets and higher-quality planets.

On 2/4/2019 at 7:20 PM, 5thHorseman said:

I don't think there's need for another planet until they add something unique for the planets to have/do. We already have 3 lone rocky worlds on tilted orbits, we don't need to gas giants with moons.

Rings would be nice, especially if they had some kind of mass and damaged ships going through them too fast (read: Not orbiting the world nearly circular, nearly equatorial, in the correct direction).

This. So much. Some players can't be satisfied with 200 planets in their install (I know at least 2 guys who actually...) but it's disgusting how little there is to watch out for when you go to any. Kerbin, Mun and Duna are the only worlds with any significant amount of anomalies to find, and Kerbin alone has interesting geography and that's it.

19 hours ago, Fraktal said:

Nah, let's throw GP2 in as DLC content on a very high-inclination orbit as explanation for why it's not where it should be in the stock game.

Also, moon suggestions to mix things up with the environmental hazards:

• A moon whose atmosphere is excessively high in oxygen, causing jet engines to be almost as powerful as a rocket but overheat very quickly if you actually try to use them at full power (not to mention burning LF faster as well). Oh, and Kerbals can't take their helmets off there or else they die of hyperoxia.
  • A moon whose atmosphere is thin but very hot (as in, hotter than Moho), requiring many and powerful radiators to be able to burn the engines long enough to escape without the engines exploding from overheating.
  • A moon that has no atmosphere, but disproportionately high gravity for its size.

GP2 as a DLC would be interesting. As for environmental hazards...

• Cannot be done.
  • Doable, but just being in such an atmosphere would be incredibly dangerous. Everything would simply overheat rather quickly and explode. Science parts and legs will go first. Then engines and everything else. The last things to go will be any mk2 parts, then the mk3 parts, then any fairings or heatshields (in increasing order of heat tolerance).
  • Tylo. (I'm serious)

Yes.

If the game ever cracks axial tilt, a combined Saturn/Uranus analogue would be great to showcase that. Give it spectacular rings, a big Titan-like moon, and a bunch of smaller moons in the Bop and Pol kind of size range with lots of variety in their looks.

If we also get fuel switching for the fuel tanks, then give not-Titan an atmosphere that's made of liquid fuel, and make parts that can suck it up and liquefy it ready for burning in rocket engines, with options for either on-the-ground production or inflight fuel-breathing.

I really want to see at least two more moons with a new planet, first is the obvious inspired by Titan, but even more so, I want a volcanic moon inspired by Io! It could become the first moon that actually has dangerous lava-lake surfaces that will overheat craft parts contacting the hot lava rock without proper thermal management (hardened but still glowing red lava, not outright liquid is necessary), that would be interesting! I remember when I first got into KSP was I really wanted to find places with volcanic activity but was surprised to find none, it was also unfortunate the ingame legend's about Moho were untrue : P!

Also as a bonus, I feel a new ice moon might be nice too that has large ice cracks in the surface that lead to water and thus unique challenging terrain to explore plus cryo volcanoes along with Full on erupting volcanoes on the Io-style moon. Arguably though the ice moon concept could apply to an existing planet/moon. In fact one could just say all the existing planets/moons should just get revamps to make them much more interesting than they are now with these features as example possibilities. Hopefully Squad considers either of these possibilities, I'd really like a bit more to be going on at places once you arrive at them compared to how they are now. And yes I know about mods but I don't like relying on them due to the inherent issues associated with mods.

Honestly, OPM should just be stock, with some tweaks. They've taken popular mods before (space plane plus), so, its not so unreasonable.

Aside from something to do on planets (this is always brought up, but I don't hear many good ideas), adding new bodies is only interesting if they pose new challenges or interesting design/mission constraints/options.

Moho's challenge: the dV to get there, basically. Its hot, but not so hot

Eve's challenge: Ascent through the thick atmo and high gravity, perhaps reentry heating... Somewhat interesting constraints on landers due to atmospheric considerations.

Gilly: getting an intercept, and the design options viable for its really low gravity

Mun's challenge: moderately low Gravity, landing on a body other than kerbin. Interesting mission options: can go any time, is close by

Minmus: really low gravity (interesting design option), must match inclination (challenge/complication for new players)

Duna: landing in moderate gravity with a thin atmosphere, Ike messing up approaches. Interesting design constraints: flying in the thin atmosphere

Ike: umm, its like Mun, but easier, but you have to go interplanetary... its really not very interesting. Its mostly scenery for duna.

Dres: umm, its like Mun, but easier, but you have to go interplanetary a bit further, and deal with its inclination... its really not very interesting.

Jool: its a host for moons

Laythe: Interesting design options: interplanetary air breathers/air breathing landers

Tylo: challenge: high gravity vacuum landing

Val: umm... its like mun, but you need to go interplanetary...

Bop: umm... its like minmus, but you need to go interplanetary...

Pol: umm... its like minmus, but you need to go interplanetary...

Eeloo: umm... its like mun, but you need to go interplanetary... and its a long journey, moderate dV challenge

Already, I find Dres, Vall Bop, Pol, Eeloo, and to some extent Ike to be quite boring, and pretty much like mun but farther away.

OPM's interesting bodies... mostly Tekto, Thatmo, the moon with a moonlet, and those moons that are at each others lagrange points

I would, however the work, stockalike appearance and the amazing results of Outer Planets Mod are such that I'd like to see that mod become a stock thing.

It really is the expansion of the system this game deserves.

I'd also add a periodic comet like Ascension and a sungrazing planetary core like Ablate (most creative, realistical objects from Kragrathea's Planet Factory, the grandfather of custom planetary systems).

22 hours ago, cantab said:

Yes.

If the game ever cracks axial tilt, a combined Saturn/Uranus analogue would be great to showcase that. Give it spectacular rings, a big Titan-like moon, and a bunch of smaller moons in the Bop and Pol kind of size range with lots of variety in their looks.

It has been cracked and hopefully it will become stock.

https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/179281-15x-tiltem-planetary-axial-tilt-v100-25-oct-2018/

A gas giant close to the Sun. One that intersects Moho but outside of its plane closer to the ecliptic.

Preferably with some hot moons. I always thought it would be cool to add a gas giant closer to the sun.

The benefit of this is that you can make very radical gravity assists using Eve to get to the new gas planet.

It wont make the game easier since you have to be experienced to perform it and it will be a fun way to ride the solar system and adds immersion by having a preferred gas giant in a hot atmosphere.

Why do people always prefer the outer edges? Because it's cool there? :P

On 2/4/2019 at 4:44 PM, SchwinnTropius said:

I'd like to see one, a Saturn-like world with prominent rings. One moon could be based on Titan. Another moon could be made to be incredibly difficult to land onto without crashing/poofing on the surface. 

A ring planet would be nice.

A tilted planet would be nice.

How about a moon with a soupy atmosphere? Can't see nothing. land under instrument. Kerbal getting lost in the fog....

ME

On 2/5/2019 at 5:52 PM, Fraktal said:

A moon whose atmosphere is excessively high in oxygen, causing jet engines to be almost as powerful as a rocket but overheat very quickly if you actually try to use them at full power (not to mention burning LF faster as well). Oh, and Kerbals can't take their helmets off there or else they die of hyperoxia.

It would be amazing if they could take their helmet off once they were at over 5 km or so in altitude because of not only a decreased pressure, but a decrease in oxygen because of a lighter gas piling up on the oxygen . If the moon had massive mountains it would have the feature of breathable air higher altitudes rather than lower ones. 

1 hour ago, KSPACE said:

It would be amazing if they could take their helmet off once they were at over 5 km or so in altitude because of not only a decreased pressure, but a decrease in oxygen because of a lighter gas piling up on the oxygen . If the moon had massive mountains it would have the feature of breathable air higher altitudes rather than lower ones. 

That would be the Plateau colony. On Mount Lookitthat in the Tau Ceti system..

A Gift from Earth by Larry Niven https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Gift_from_Earth

ME

A planet that spins way faster than its escape velocity at the equator because why not. 

A body with and atmosphere that every so often slams into a huge belt of asteroids, causing a cataclysmic meteorite shower.

A desert planet with water and an atmosphere, and maybe even life.

A planet that constantly erupts molten rock, and has a superheated atmosphere. (Think Star Lavadom from Kirby Star Allies)

A jungle planet with small oceans and lots of greenery.

A crystal planet that has a huge concentration of ore, and also has higher gravity than eve.

these are just some of my ideas.

I'm afraid I agree with the players that would rather have more things to do at their destinations, instead of just more destinations.  As much I would love to see OPM in stock, I would much prefer some parts that are more conducive to building surface outposts, like Kerbal Planetary Base Systems, and/or some other game mechanic that creates more depth to EVA activities or surface-based science.

A Saturn-like World with rings and some small non-spherical moons in the rings. One big moon the size of Duna with a tall, dense atmosphere. Perhaps small lakes near the poles and the aforementioned plateau that is at a breathable altitude. I would prefer if the atmosphere didn’t have oxygen at sea level but I don’t think that’s possible so I’m not gonna get my hopes up. 

I don't have strong opinions on this one, but OPM? Oh please, just no. I'd love to see more original, loosely-based-on-reality planets, not literal Solar System-ripoffs down to their names with the slightest bit of tweaking to make them fit the Kerbal system.

Maybe reimplementing those old planet concepts by NovaSilisko would be a great idea, including a crystal moon around Eve, a trojan dwarf planet in Kerbin orbit, and GP2 with original concept worlds as their moons. Kerbal Origins mod offers that. This, or adding another planet then focusing on what to do on the existing planets.

In the end, the biggest problem with adding a planet is that the system is more or less filled out. The inner Kerbol system has no realistic room for more planets except for maybe a trojan dwarf planet. Adding a second gas planet will mean either adding it outside Eeloo's orbit or making Eeloo a moon. The second option will have severe consequences for save games, while the first option will make it slightly boring as all moons will be frozen worlds.

On 2/16/2019 at 12:16 AM, Puddle Jumper said:

In the end, the biggest problem with adding a planet is that the system is more or less filled out. The inner Kerbol system has no realistic room for more planets except for maybe a trojan dwarf planet. Adding a second gas planet will mean either adding it outside Eeloo's orbit or making Eeloo a moon. The second option will have severe consequences for save games, while the first option will make it slightly boring as all moons will be frozen worlds.

With that Trojan dwarf planet thing, I have an idea. Have the Gas Giant be in an extremely elliptical orbit around kerbol, and make it so that it travels much closer to the star than Moho, while going a little further than Eeloo’s apoapsis.

And perhaps, my planet ideas could be one or two planets that have seasons. jungle planet in spring, in the middle of orbit, hellish lava planet in summer, close to Kerbol, desert planet in fall, middle of orbit on the other side, and perhaps some kind of ice-physics planet in winter, furthest from Kerbol.

exaggerated seasons, if you will.

Yes, I know how seasons work, but axial tilt isn’t a thing in KSP (yet...) so, I have my idea for seasons that fits for me.

Edited by Fraston

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.