A "KSP Loading..." Preview: O-10 "Puff" MonoPropellant Fuel Engine Revamp

SQUAD

Well that's...a revamp, and will make faithful shuttle replicas look a little nicer (two of these gives about the right delta V and all, albeit a tad too little thrust). I guess the theme is the small, radial engines are getting revamped? I really hope we see something more to this update in terms of revamps or features.

Not sure why you're complaining, Gapone, as like has been said already, the revamp has taken strong stylistic cues from the old one which is appreciated. 

Anyhow, it looks a damn sight better than the thing we got shown last week.

On 2/5/2019 at 1:13 PM, GrandProtectorDark said:

Interesting rework.
But to make Monoprop actually usefull, we would need a few more engines or even just an engine which ISP wasn't as bad as SRBs

Or remove magic torque machines from the game!

I've been playing Realism Overhaul for years now and haven't used reaction wheels in around a year. I've forgotten how. Please send help.

In a more serious suggestion, I'd maybe see about making the Puff very cheap (and possibly unlocked early) relative to the Ant, so if you have a small vehicle, the Puff may be your go-to, with the Ant as the expensive high-performance option.

On 2/5/2019 at 2:05 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

I question whether monoprop would actually get hot enough to cause the metal to glow red.

Other than that, I like the new model

To expand on answers to this: unlike most nozzles, hydrazine monopropellant is cool enough that you can conceivably skip any sort of active cooling and just have a bare metal nozzle. Without ablative or regenerative cooling, main engine nozzles should be an incandescent mess of rapidly melting metal, but hydrazine is relatively cool.

4 hours ago, Starman4308 said:

I've been playing Realism Overhaul for years now and haven't used reaction wheels in around a year. I've forgotten how. Please send help.

If not turning enough - add more. If turning too much - remove some. If running out of EC - add some RTG's and maybe a battery or two.

I'm not a fan of OP torque either, and I never use it to stabilise craft. However, there is a place for it. For example, reaction wheels exist in real life, but their torque is much too low to be useful in a game. I don't want to have to add RCS to a satellite/telescope to change its orientation when a real one could do that with reaction wheels. 

As for this engine, I like it and I'd also love to see an in-line attachable one too, as others have said. 

16 hours ago, Deddly said:

I'm not a fan of OP torque either, and I never use it to stabilise craft. However, there is a place for it. For example, reaction wheels exist in real life, but their torque is much too low to be useful in a game. I don't want to have to add RCS to a satellite/telescope to change its orientation when a real one could do that with reaction wheels. 

As for this engine, I like it and I'd also love to see an in-line attachable one too, as others have said. 

To clarify: I'm not suggesting reaction wheels be removed, or even necessarily nerfed. I was attempting to humorously point out that there is another way to make monopropellant necessary.

After all, I did put reaction wheels on a whopping four probes for the 1977 Grand Tour alignment. What decadent luxury!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.