How to Mirrior Parts Symmetrically

Starlord Kerman

@linuxgurugamer @Starlord Kerman @Lisias @Stone Blue My apologies, fellas. I'm sure I made you waste some precious time on this. :( Using the stack node in mirror symmetry does not work at all for things like curved wings and that stock wheel. You're better off using only surface attach, just counting on the collider of the wing root part (preferably with angle snap off, I think) to align the mirrored wing, and removing the B9PS-powerd toggles (well, except for fuel).

What I did here was to orient both the symmetry involved stack nodes to point rearward together like the nodes on the back end of the mk2 bicoupler and I got this far. This is not a problem if you attach engines, cabins, tanks .....but the original issue "Why must it be this way? Can I change this?" returns. Additionally, symmetry seems to only be usable at all for nodes created through node_stack_xx keys, and not through NODE {} and linked transforms. (See: vertical tail fin refused to symmetry at all as attached via transform-based stack node.)

unknown.png

Edited by JadeOfMaar

• 3 years later...
On 3/10/2019 at 9:08 AM, linuxgurugamer said:

Ok, so I have it working, both for node attach and surface attach, but it's kind of weird.  The following instructions apply to the files in the linked zip:

For this to work, the B9 Part Switcher is required.

To do surface attach, you need to be in Mirror Symmetry mode, and the wing needs to be set to Surface Attach

To do node attach, you need to be in Radial Symmetry mode, and the wing needs to be set to Node Attach.  Surface attach will still work with this, but the two wings will be directly opposite each other.

The files have had all the attachment node oriented in the correct direction.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/anoo0hxnukk0skn/TriCrossSection.zip?dl=0

The following video shows the wings working:

The file has been deleted, could you pls upload it again.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.