Sign in to follow this  
Sundaygloom

Greeting

Just wanted to say hello and introduce myself. i just recently got back into kerbal. i put about 80 hours into the ps4 version a couple of years ago. im still very much a beginner, i managed to do most of the basic beginning stuff, i got fairly far in the career mode, never landed on another planet though, just did a fly by and orbit of one. i think i was doing some beginner space station stuff as well at the time, i remember trying to learn docking, my plan was always to eventually move over to the pc version. 

so i bought the game again on pc about a year ago but only just recently started getting back into it as i know its going to absorb a lot of my time, i spend a lot of time sim racing but wanted something else to sink my teeth into. hopefully i can really get into it this time and learn a lot from the veterans around here. 

are there any must have mods for starting out, i have mech jeb but thats all right now. maybe some visual enhancements that are popular or anything like that, ive glanced through the mod section but it seems like a lot to sort through and geared towards people who've been using this game for awhile. im not really interested in new parts and new mission stuff right now as i think whats available will keep me busy for awhile. 

• Like 1

Hello Sundaygloom, and welcome to the KSP Forums!

As far as must-have mods go, I would recommend Kerbal Engineer Redux and Kerbal Alarm Clock.

I'm not using any visual mods atm, so I have no advice on that front.

There are lots of friendly and helpful users willing to assist you in learning the game.

Happy landings!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Starhawk said:

There are lots of friendly and helpful users willing to assist you in learning the game.

I might not be useful, but I'll try to appear friendly. :)

1 hour ago, Sundaygloom said:

my plan was always to eventually move over to the pc version.

are there any must have mods for starting out

Wise decision! As for the mods, Kerbal Engineer Redux and MechJeb will be redundant, but you'll need one of them indeed. KER displays a lot of infos on your flight, vessel, orbit etc which are essential for designing and flying ships, while MechJeb does the same and also provides with autopilot features and some more advanced stuff. I think that the latter is very overwhelming when you start and you'll sink hours into learning how every bit of it works and fiddling with it rather than enjoying the game. Plus some of its features are kind of cheaty in my opinion. I'd recommend you to play with KER and to switch to MechJeb later on, when you start planning missions to several planets or other complicated stuff and understand well the advanced mechanics of the game.

If you want to play career, I find that the stock contracts fail to hold your attention as they are all over the place and often very goofy, so I'd go for the Exploration Contract Pack, that have you progressively explore the solar system step by step. (Check the dependencies every time you get a mod, btw)

In terms of visual enhancement mods, Scatterer is a good start for nicer clouds, lens-flares, water reflections etc. Depending on your PC, visual mods might have a strong impact on your performance if you push them too far though, so watch out.

KER and Kerbal Alarm Clock are the real must-have and you won't need any other mods to play, really. Other than that, there is a ton of mods to be found in the forum 

1 hour ago, Sundaygloom said:

i spend a lot of time sim racing

@Triop will explain you that it is also possible in KSP.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, PunkyFickle said:

KER and Kerbal Alarm Clock are the real must-have and you won't need any other mods to play, really.

Oh, and RCS Build Aid is a must-have too, although you won't be using it at the very start of a game.

thanks for the replies, ill definitely check out the suggestions. my playtime is sporadic, but ill be around. i try to get on every night and put a couple hours in. its been so long since when i played on ps4, i forgot a lot of stuff, so im relearning a bunch now. 

back when i was on ps4 i watched a lot of tutorials, i might have to revisit some of those.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sundaygloom said:

i might have to revisit some of those.

There's a page listing a lot of tutorials. Most of the links are dead, but the pages still exist, you just have to copy and paste the title in google.

Welcome :-)

I don't play much any more, but when i did i always installed Engineer Redux, Transfer Planner, Alarm Clock, Waypoint Manager, Joint Re-enforcement, Scan Sat, Near Future Solar, Real Plume, KW Rocketry, and the one or other station part or exploration mod. Oh, and i found the Buffalo rover is really fun.

• Like 1