Greeting

Sundaygloom

Just wanted to say hello and introduce myself. i just recently got back into kerbal. i put about 80 hours into the ps4 version a couple of years ago. im still very much a beginner, i managed to do most of the basic beginning stuff, i got fairly far in the career mode, never landed on another planet though, just did a fly by and orbit of one. i think i was doing some beginner space station stuff as well at the time, i remember trying to learn docking, my plan was always to eventually move over to the pc version. 

so i bought the game again on pc about a year ago but only just recently started getting back into it as i know its going to absorb a lot of my time, i spend a lot of time sim racing but wanted something else to sink my teeth into. hopefully i can really get into it this time and learn a lot from the veterans around here. 

are there any must have mods for starting out, i have mech jeb but thats all right now. maybe some visual enhancements that are popular or anything like that, ive glanced through the mod section but it seems like a lot to sort through and geared towards people who've been using this game for awhile. im not really interested in new parts and new mission stuff right now as i think whats available will keep me busy for awhile. 

Hello Sundaygloom, and welcome to the KSP Forums!

As far as must-have mods go, I would recommend Kerbal Engineer Redux and Kerbal Alarm Clock.

I'm not using any visual mods atm, so I have no advice on that front.

There are lots of friendly and helpful users willing to assist you in learning the game.

Happy landings!

4 minutes ago, Starhawk said:

There are lots of friendly and helpful users willing to assist you in learning the game.

I might not be useful, but I'll try to appear friendly. :)

1 hour ago, Sundaygloom said:

my plan was always to eventually move over to the pc version.

are there any must have mods for starting out

Wise decision! As for the mods, Kerbal Engineer Redux and MechJeb will be redundant, but you'll need one of them indeed. KER displays a lot of infos on your flight, vessel, orbit etc which are essential for designing and flying ships, while MechJeb does the same and also provides with autopilot features and some more advanced stuff. I think that the latter is very overwhelming when you start and you'll sink hours into learning how every bit of it works and fiddling with it rather than enjoying the game. Plus some of its features are kind of cheaty in my opinion. I'd recommend you to play with KER and to switch to MechJeb later on, when you start planning missions to several planets or other complicated stuff and understand well the advanced mechanics of the game.

If you want to play career, I find that the stock contracts fail to hold your attention as they are all over the place and often very goofy, so I'd go for the Exploration Contract Pack, that have you progressively explore the solar system step by step. (Check the dependencies every time you get a mod, btw)

In terms of visual enhancement mods, Scatterer is a good start for nicer clouds, lens-flares, water reflections etc. Depending on your PC, visual mods might have a strong impact on your performance if you push them too far though, so watch out.

KER and Kerbal Alarm Clock are the real must-have and you won't need any other mods to play, really. Other than that, there is a ton of mods to be found in the forum 

1 hour ago, Sundaygloom said:

i spend a lot of time sim racing

@Triop will explain you that it is also possible in KSP.

7 hours ago, PunkyFickle said:

KER and Kerbal Alarm Clock are the real must-have and you won't need any other mods to play, really.

Oh, and RCS Build Aid is a must-have too, although you won't be using it at the very start of a game.

thanks for the replies, ill definitely check out the suggestions. my playtime is sporadic, but ill be around. i try to get on every night and put a couple hours in. its been so long since when i played on ps4, i forgot a lot of stuff, so im relearning a bunch now. 

back when i was on ps4 i watched a lot of tutorials, i might have to revisit some of those.

Welcome :-)

I don't play much any more, but when i did i always installed Engineer Redux, Transfer Planner, Alarm Clock, Waypoint Manager, Joint Re-enforcement, Scan Sat, Near Future Solar, Real Plume, KW Rocketry, and the one or other station part or exploration mod. Oh, and i found the Buffalo rover is really fun.

• 4 weeks later...

So I've been using engineer redux (very helpful) and alarm clock (only just got around to using it) so far.

I've been slowly working my way through the career, I might try the exploration pack as the regular contracts are getting a bit stale. I've made some good progress, maximizing my science as much as possible, Im almost to the last section of the tree. But trying to collect samples from every biome gets a bit tedious. I've orbited duna with a 7 kerbal crew and safely returned, that's my farthest achievement so far. 

I've watched a few YouTubers as well, some guy named Matt lowne has a pretty good series that I'm enjoying, it's helped me quite a bit and he's still producing regular content. A lot of other videos are years old so it's cool to see people still making new stuff. 

Anyways, just thought I'd send an update on my progress. Thanks again for the suggestions 

• 2 weeks later...

Another quick update. 

Progress is going a bit slower now. I've landed on and returned from duna. In fact I've been to duna about 8 times now. I think I have that down. I've learned quite a bit on getting to planets, getting the timing down, trajectories and all of that. Alarm clock is helping quite a bit now. 

I've done a bit of docking and rendezvous, but I definitely need some more practice on that. I can do it but it still not easy for me yet. I have docked without needing to refer back and forth to online tutorials so that was nice. But it took a lot of mistakes before I finally got it done. 

I feel like I've learned a lot in the last couple of weeks but I have a long ways to go. But I'm getting there. I'm eager to jump into sandbox and just start creating interesting stuff but I want to learn all the basics first. I'm almost done in career mode as far as unlocking all the parts and upgrading the base. I have 2 more 550 and the last 4 1000 slots to unlock. Sometime I just skip the missions and just go to planets to get more science. But I like the missions because it forces me to do stuff I'm uncomfortable doing and In the process learn more.

I also added the restock and restock plus mods which are pretty cool. I like the way it looks. I want to add some clouds and other effects but I also don't want to bog the game down to much with stuff like that. I haven't run into any performance issues yet but I know when you get to building really large things it can be taxing on the system. 

5 hours ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

You can also visit Eve, but I hope you packed powerful engines and a ladder! 

and over 16000 dV in Low Eve Orbit! (Don't listen to him, please! I've been playing for close to a year, and I'm nowhere near good enough for Laythe, much less Tylo or Eve!)

I'm not ready for eve yet. It took me five attempts to do duna. I'm trying to keep the cost down to since I'm in career mode. I don't want to blow my whole budget on one rocket. I think the ship to duna was about 120,000 which I don't think was too bad. 

Edited by Sundaygloom

Welcome, @Sundaygloom!

Welcome to the forum. And no worries! Kerbal Space Program is a very flexible game! Because of how this game is easy to mod, the game can become whatever you want to do with it. A recommendation I'd like to make is the mod, Stock Visual Enhancements. It has three available configurations available ranging from lower graphics settings to high graphics settings. And the good thing is all you have to do is change which config file you have installed (See the mod instructions for full detail). Install it and the dependencies, and I can tell you from experience, I run the lower settings - it gives me clouds and it doesn't bog down the machine. And the results are pretty spectacular.

Anyhow, and again, welcome to the forum. If you have questions, feel free to ask. Our group is a pretty friendly set of folks who enjoy helping others get the most out of their KSPeriance! (Get it, KSP experience?! :cool:). Oh, and another thing we like to see is images! So be sure to share those screen shots with us!

@Sundaygloom

Welcome to the Forum !!!

Eve is pain, you have to beat Tylo, Laythe and Moho before you call yourself prepared enough, managed to get to Eve and back after 9 months since i started, Tylo and others during 6th months, all with Direct Ascent...

Thanks, I added stock visual enhancements. It was fine at first but does cause a small performance hit with larger ships. Not to bad though but I might have to scale some stuff back when I start making stuff with more parts. 

I haven't been doing any planet hopping lately. Mostly focusing on learning the mining mechanics which I think I have down now. Been experimenting with the different engines as well and trying to build a surface base on mun. 

Theirs been a lot of failures and dumb oversights. But it's all part of the fun. 

• 3 weeks later...

So I finally unlocked all the parts in my career mode. It took a bit of time, progress slowed down quite a bit towards the end. 

Some stats from my career. 

It took me 44 kerbal years. 

122 completed missions. 

The only kerbal I lost was Jeb, I lost him fairly early in, I relied on quicksaves after that so I wouldn't lose anyone else. I primarily used Valentina. Tester and Valbus were my backups, they ran some simultaneous mission while Valentina was busy on hers. Bill was my chief engineer, Samble was the backup. Bob and Nacan were my lead scientists, but they've been orbiting planets and moons for years running science experiments. I need to get them back eventually. 

I currently have 10 million in the bank, thanks a lot to mapping asteroids, easy missions that are cheap to run but payout a lot. That gave me some leeway in building some more expensive rockets. My most expensive rocket was just under 500,000, that was putting an orbital base capable of landing on minmus, mining 6000 ore and going back to orbit with it, it could support 16 kerbal, it was one of my more better looking stations, I spent a lot of time designing it, although it pales in comparison to the stuff I see other people building. My average was between 150-200,000 for most of my missions 

I didn't do a lot of landing, pretty much only duna and several moons. I was more focused on running missions and getting science and I didn't get many missions to land. All missions were stock. 

I still have tons to accomplish but I might move over to sandbox mode now for that. I've yet to build anything in the spaceplane hanger. I'm still getting missions that challenge to do new stuff like put an asteroid into orbit which I haven't attempted yet so I might stick around career for awhile.

Thanks again for the mod recommendations as well, ker and alarm clock were a big help. I never used mech Jeb, I tried once and couldn't figure it out. And all the visual stuff was a nice addition. I didn't know about any precision node mod so the last update was a nice addition for me. Being able to fine tune and move the maneuver node made things a lot easier.