[1.8.x] Red Stapler's Music Melomania Mod v3.0 (2020-02-12)

Red Stapler

Red Stapler's Music Melomania Mod (RSMMM)

Stock-alike Instrumental & Ambient Tracks for KSP

btxO2l6.png

RSMMM is a mod/add-on to Soundtrack Editor/Forked that adds 169 stockalike music and 57 ambient sounds in order to further enhance and add a bit of groove to your Kerbal Space Program experience. All tracks are instrumental, some are whimsical, some are loungy...all approved by the Kerbin Instrumental Sound Society (KISS).

Reggae/Dub, Funk, Jazz, Disco, World, Classic Guitar, Latin/Brazilian, Blues, Mellow Rock, Loungy Stand up Bass Types, Groovy Space Rock, Futuristic Modern Spacey Stuff, Chilling in Space Ambiances, 1960s Star Trek TV Series sound-alikes, and a splash of Austin Powers-ish cutscene music to keep your Kerbals (or you) from going daft on long missions.

- Downloads -

Note: Soundtrack Editor Forked installation is required

RSMMM (mod):  GitHub  |  SpaceDock  |  CurseForge

RSMMM (source): GitHub

Image Gallery  

Qs1ZcSf.png

(Some late night ‘concert’ screen shots, just for fun)

Sample Music

Bummin on Tremelo Chill Wave
Bicycle Deadly Roulette
Secret of Tiki Island Sneaky Snitch
Jellyfish in Space Eternity
Kool Kats Your Call

Additional music at: 

Installation

1. You need to have Soundtrack Editor Forked already installed in your root KSP folder as per the instructions for that mod.
  2. Extract the entire contents of this zip to the KSP root folder, merging the Licenses, Music, and Playlists folders with the existing folders (RSMMM will not overwrite anything in these folders unless you have installed an earlier version of this mod).
  3. Open the Playlists folder, make a backup/rename your current playlists.cfg file and rename RS playlist.cfg* to playlist.cfg.

* NOTE: RS playlists.cfg is a 'Read Only' file. REASON: If you are using the older Soundtrack Editor, it changes 'vesselState' to 'vesselSituation' when you save changes via the in game editor (affected playlists will not work correctly the next time you fire up KSP). Feel free to manually edit the playlists file but remember to make it 'Read Only' again or you will get musical 'surprises' in flight scenes. :ph34r:  If you are using Sound Track Editor Forked, you can remove the 'Read Only' setting as this issue has been addressed but I am leaving the file as read only so it can be used with both editors/people running older stuff.

4. Launch KSP and enjoy the new instrumental and ambient tracks!

Other/Helpful Info

• Opening Soundtrack Editor/Forked (per instructions from Soundtrack Editor): Start up KSP and go to the KSC or flight menu. Click on the music speaker icon in the application launcher to open the Soundtrack Editor.
  • Adding custom music files (per instructions from Soundtrack Editor): Drop any new .wav, .ogg or .mp3 files you want to use into the Music folder, next to KSP.exe. These will be available to use in Soundtrack Editor playlists. You can create as many sub folders here as you want to organize the tracks.
  • The ‘Not Used’ Folder (located in Music\RSMusic\Not Used): Contains a few tracks that were interesting but did not make the cut for now.  Kept the files since others might find a use for them.
  • Works great with other sounds mods (since it’s instrumental): I have Chatterer installed and both work great together.  I just tweaked my sound settings a bit as I like the music lower in the background with sound effects & chatter a bit louder.

RSMMM licenced under CC BY 4.0 https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0

Change log

v.3.0 (2020-02-12) 

• Updated text/links to Soundtrack Editor Forked

v3.0 (2019-6-4) 

•    New: 43 Music (various artists), 8 Ambient tracks
  •    Simplified installation instructions
  •    Normalized several music tracks (old and new)
  •    Realigned some of the playlists
    • No more airplanes, etc. during launches/takeoffs
    • Less duplication of music tracks between buildings
    • Removed super annoying 'Construction02' from the VAB/SPH

v2.0 (2019-3-12)

• New: 42 Music, 37 Ambient and 5 Special tracks
  • 8 New Playlists
    • Added Space Center Ambiance Morning playlist
    • Added Space Center Ambiance Evening playlist
    • Added Pre-Launch Morning playlist
    • Added Pre-Launch Evening playlist
    • Added Splashed playlist
    • Added DeadDay playlist (RSSpecial playlist.cfg only)
    • Added DayDeadLate playlist (RSSpecial playlist.cfg only)
    • Added DeadNight playlist (RSSpecial playlist.cfg only)
  • Cleaned up the Not Used folder
    • Removed 3 files from v1.1
    • Added 2 new sample files 
    • Changed 'anthousai-roosters' to 'day-roosters' and placed in Ambient folder
  • Created a Special folder (mostly for organizing RSSpecial playlists.cfg tracks)
  • Updated a few playlists for better scene/situation alignment

v1.1 (2019-02-11)

• Updated Readme_Instructions.txt (added mod thread url)
  • Updated playlist.cfg for better scene/situation alignment
    • Removed 3 tracks from Research Center
    • Removed 2 tracks from Mission Control
    • Removed 1 track from VAB/SPH
    • Added 1/removed 1 track from Space

v1.0 (2019-02-08)

• Initial release

Music Credits

Listing of all music, sounds and licenses can be found in Licenses/RSMMM-Licenses.txt

Thank Yous

• pizzaoverhead for creating Soundtrack Editor and his help/guidance in putting this mod together.
  • linuxgurugamer for creating SoundTrack Editor Forked to address the vesselState issue, etc. etc.
  • All KSP modders, Squad folks and KSP players for supporting this game.

All feedback welcome directly in this thread, via Github or feel free to PM me. 

If you feel so inclined...  btn_donate_LG.gif

Edited by Red Stapler
Updated text, linked to Soundtrack Editor Forked now

Updated to v1.1 and now also hosted on SpaceDock...

v1.1 (2019-02-11)

• Updated Readme_Instructions.txt (added mod thread url)
  • Updated playlist.cfg for better scene/situation alignment
    •     Removed 3 tracks from Research Center
    •     Removed 2 tracks from Mission Control
    •     Removed 1 track from VAB/SPH
    •     Added 1/removed 1 track from Space

Would you guys like to see it on Curseforge as well?  Let me know. :)

All feedback welcome! Tnx!

Edited by Red Stapler
linked SpaceDock text to SpaceDock dnld

12 hours ago, Svm420 said:

Great mod. I've been waiting a long time for someone to put out a good soundtrack editor setup. Thank you for the time you spent!

Thank you for the feedback!  I had a lot of fun putting this mod together. :)

I’ll be pushing out another update in a week or 2...in the process of getting more tracks,etc so stay tuned! 

Cheers! 

• 4 weeks later...

Major update for all you music lovers!  v2.0 has lots of goodies...

Please see step #3 of the Installation notes regarding use of 'RSSpecial playlists.cfg' if you want the 3 extra playlists to work correctly in game. 

v2.0 (2019-3-12)

• New: 42 Music, 37 Ambient and 5 Special tracks
  • 8 New Playlists
    • Added Space Center Ambience Morning playlist
    • Added Space Center Ambience Evening playlist
    • Added Pre-Launch Morning playlist
    • Added Pre-Launch Evening playlist
    • Added Splashed playlist
    • Added DeadDay playlist (RSSpecial playlist.cfg only)
    • Added DayDeadLate playlist (RSSpecial playlist.cfg only)
    • Added DeadNight playlist (RSSpecial playlist.cfg only)
  • Cleaned up the Not Used folder
    • Removed 3 files from v1.1
    • Added 2 new sample files 
    • Changed 'anthousai-roosters' to 'day-roosters' and placed in Ambient folder
  • Created a Special folder (mostly for organizing RSSpecial playlists.cfg tracks)
  • Updated a few playlists for better scene/situation alignment

As mentioned before, all feedback welcome directly in this thread, via Github or feel free to PM me. 

I would love to hear back from those using this mod regarding:

• Any issues
  • Music tracks or ambients you do not like
  • Music tracks or ambients you would like to see included in the future
  • Ideas for new playlists
  • Are the frogs overkill? Crickets...really?  Wait, was that thunder? Do you like the Spitfire/helicopters/etc flying around? Owls, coyotes seagulls and songbirds...again, really?  KSC is technically a spaceport located at the equator so I figured it would be a bit airporty and swampy.  :cool:

Thanks and enjoy,

RS 

Edited by Red Stapler
update for v2.0 release

• 2 months later...

Hey, I just wanted to say I love your playlist! It's so Kerbal - fun-loving, chill, goofy at times - and it really enhances my enjoyment of the game. Thanks for taking the time to scour through so much McLeod content to deliver what feels like an expanded official Kerbal soundtrack :).

RSMMM v3.0 coming soon...

• More ambient tracks
  • More music (approx 40 new tracks, not Kevin MacLeod but just as stockalike)
  • Removed the super annoying 'Construction02' track from the VAB (based on feedback received)
  • Normalization of some of the louder tracks 
  • Simplified install
  • Maybe even a secret track if I can get it to work right :)

--> If anyone has last minute feedback, please let me know as soon as you can.  Hoping to release end of this week or weekend. 

Cheers,

RS

9 hours ago, MagicCuboid said:

Hey, I just wanted to say I love your playlist! It's so Kerbal - fun-loving, chill, goofy at times - and it really enhances my enjoyment of the game. Thanks for taking the time to scour through so much McLeod content to deliver what feels like an expanded official Kerbal soundtrack :).

Thanks @MagicCuboid, really appreciate the feedback!  I've been scouring free music sites in the hope of finding more 'Kevinesque' tracks and I'm almost done.

Sneak peak of one of my new favorite 'Space' tracks: http://freemusicarchive.org/music/Jahzzar/RawDub/07_-_Rewind

If there are any tracks that you find out of place (or annoying), let me know and I'll see what I can do.   Thanks again, v3.0 is almost done...just doing final tweaks and QA. :)

Edited by Red Stapler
corrected link, i'm tired, time to go to sleep.

RSMMM updated to v3.0!

Yay! Finally done perusing for new music and tweaking configs. Think I found some you guys will like. Enjoy...

v3.0 (2019-6-4) 

•    New: 43 Music (various artists), 8 Ambient tracks
  •    Simplified installation instructions
  •    Normalized several music tracks (old and new)
  •    Realigned some of the playlists
    • No more airplanes, etc. during launches/takeoffs
    • Less duplication of music tracks between buildings
    • Removed the super annoying 'Construction02' from the VAB/SPH

All feedback welcome!

Thanks, RS

Edited by Red Stapler
Grammerikal erors

2 hours ago, captainb said:

Can someone help me restore the original KSP theme music on game load?  It seems the file is no longer in the playlist and I cannot even find the name of the track to re-download it.

Hey @captainb,

Yes, there were 2 that were removed from the game load screen playlists.  The actual music tracks are contained/encrypted somewhere within KSP_x64_Data/Resources by Squad IIRC so I can't get those for you, but in looking @ Soundtrack Editor's original playlist, the two files I believe you are looking for are named 'KSP_MenuAmbience' and 'KSP_MainTheme'

Go into the playlist (remove the 'Read Only' from the files Properties first so you can edit) and add them to 'Menu Ambience' and 'Menu theme' as noted in bold below...

Spoiler

playlist
{
    name = Menu Ambience
    loop = True
    shuffle = True
    preloadTime = 5
    pauseOnGamePause = True
    disableAfterPlay = False
    playAfter = Menu theme
    tracks
    {
        track = Kool Kats
        track = Deadly Roulette
        track = Funky Chunk
        track = Bummin on Tremelo
        track = Sneaky Snitch
        track = Mining by Moonlight
        track = Secret of Tiki Island
        track = Backbay Lounge
        track = Lobby Time
        track = lurking-sloth
        track = KSP_MenuAmbience
    }
    playWhen
    {
        scene = MainMenu
    }
}
playlist
{
    name = Menu theme
    loop = True
    shuffle = True
    preloadTime = 5
    pauseOnGamePause = True
    disableAfterPlay = False
    tracks
    {
        track = Funky Chunk
        track = Kool Kats
        track = Sneaky Snitch
        track = Deadly Roulette
        track = Backbay Lounge
        track = Lobby Time
        track = lurking-sloth
        track = KSP_MainTheme
    }
    playWhen
    {
        scene = MainMenu
    }
}

This should allow those 2 to play as per vanilla KSP.    Please let me know if it resolved your concern!

Thanks!

RS

Edited by Red Stapler

On 6/7/2019 at 12:42 AM, Red Stapler said:

Hey @captainb,

Yes, there were 2 that were removed from the game load screen playlists.  The actual music tracks are contained/encrypted somewhere within KSP_x64_Data/Resources by Squad IIRC so I can't get those for you, but in looking @ Soundtrack Editor's original playlist, the two files I believe you are looking for are named 'KSP_MenuAmbience' and 'KSP_MainTheme'

Go into the playlist (remove the 'Read Only' from the files Properties first so you can edit) and add them to 'Menu Ambience' and 'Menu theme' as noted in bold below...

Reveal hidden contents

playlist
{
    name = Menu Ambience
    loop = True
    shuffle = True
    preloadTime = 5
    pauseOnGamePause = True
    disableAfterPlay = False
    playAfter = Menu theme
    tracks
    {
        track = Kool Kats
        track = Deadly Roulette
        track = Funky Chunk
        track = Sneaky Snitch
        track = Backbay Lounge
        track = Lobby Time
        track = lurking-sloth
        track = KSP_MenuAmbience
    }
    playWhen
    {
        scene = MainMenu
    }
}
playlist
{
    name = Menu theme
    loop = True
    shuffle = True
    preloadTime = 5
    pauseOnGamePause = True
    disableAfterPlay = False
    tracks
    {
        track = Funky Chunk
        track = Kool Kats
        track = Sneaky Snitch
        track = Deadly Roulette
        track = Backbay Lounge
        track = Lobby Time
        track = lurking-sloth
        track = KSP_MainTheme
    }
    playWhen
    {
        scene = MainMenu
    }
}

This should allow those 2 to play as per vanilla KSP.    Please let me know if it resolved your concern!

Thanks!

RS

Thanks, yes that fixed my issue!

@Red Stapler

Love the mod! I don't know how this mod isn't more popular. Apparently people like to hear the same few songs over and over. Don't invite them to a party :lol: My favorite tune so far is the summer coffee while building. Something about that song I really like. Anyway great work :) Thanks!

14 hours ago, Svm420 said:

@Red Stapler

Love the mod! I don't know how this mod isn't more popular. Apparently people like to hear the same few songs over and over. Don't invite them to a party :lol: My favorite tune so far is the summer coffee while building. Something about that song I really like. Anyway great work :) Thanks!

Thank you, really appreciate the feedback! Yeah, there are a few new songs in there like People are Spinning that I really dig.  Makes me feel like I'm in space looking out a window and just letting my mind wander (which usually leads me back to the VAB haha).

Again, thank you! Have a good one.

Cheers, RS

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 10/24/2019 at 5:57 AM, Mr.DingALing said:

Anybody tested it in 1.8 yet?

Sorry, I have not...been on other gaming adventures lately.  I would hope pizza's mod still works.  If it does, this add on should work as well. If anyone can confirm, that would be golden.  Thanks. :)

• 2 weeks later...

@Red Stapler

Can you provide a list of steps to replicate the bug which forces the playlists.cfg to have to be read-only?

If you can get me that, I could probably find and fix that bug for @pizzaoverhead

Edit:  I think I found the problem.  Would you (or anybody else) be interested in testing the fix?

Here is the fixed file: 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lkes6h49bcb7dkp/SoundtrackEditor-vesselStateFixed.zip?dl=0

Copy the files into the GameData/SoundtrackEditor/Plugins folder

Edited by linuxgurugamer

17 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

@Red Stapler

Can you provide a list of steps to replicate the bug which forces the playlists.cfg to have to be read-only?

If you can get me that, I could probably find and fix that bug for @pizzaoverhead

Edit:  I think I found the problem.  Would you (or anybody else) be interested in testing the fix?

Here is the fixed file: 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lkes6h49bcb7dkp/SoundtrackEditor-vesselStateFixed.zip?dl=0

Copy the files into the GameData/SoundtrackEditor/Plugins folder

Awesome!  Thanks @linuxgurugamer.  I am out of town on biz until Wed, but will test this week and confirm when I get back unless someone beats me to it.  

You rock man! :)

Ok, @linuxgurugamer, I was able to test your fixed files and I have good news and bad news....

The Good: Your fix does indeed address the issue with 'vesselState' changing to 'vesselSituation' when you save changes via the in game editor so that is good...the playlist will no longer need to be kept as a read only file in ....\Kerbal Space Program\Playlists.

The Bad: When I spin up KSP, the Soundtrack Editor instance now loads twice so you get double the music on the main load screen, the KSC, VAB, etc.  Note: I am still on v1.6.1 as that is the last version I was playing and have not had the time to update to latest version and my slew of mods updated as well. Maybe over the holidays, hehe.   So, not sure if that could be a factor on it loading twice...probably not but just mentioning. 

The Ugly:  There is no ugly, I just wanted to please Clint Eastwood in case he is reading this thread.  :ph34r: :P

Let me know when I can be of further use.  Thanks again for looking into this!

1 hour ago, Red Stapler said:

Ok, @linuxgurugamer, I was able to test your fixed files and I have good news and bad news....

The Good: Your fix does indeed address the issue with 'vesselState' changing to 'vesselSituation' when you save changes via the in game editor so that is good...the playlist will no longer need to be kept as a read only file in ....\Kerbal Space Program\Playlists.

The Bad: When I spin up KSP, the Soundtrack Editor instance now loads twice so you get double the music on the main load screen, the KSC, VAB, etc.  Note: I am still on v1.6.1 as that is the last version I was playing and have not had the time to update to latest version and my slew of mods updated as well. Maybe over the holidays, hehe.   So, not sure if that could be a factor on it loading twice...probably not but just mentioning. 

The Ugly:  There is no ugly, I just wanted to please Clint Eastwood in case he is reading this thread.  :ph34r: :P

Let me know when I can be of further use.  Thanks again for looking into this!

Check to be sure you don't have two copies of the DLL.  I don't see that, but then I wasn't looking for it.  It was  a fairly simple fix, I don't think I did anything special.

Edited by linuxgurugamer

6 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Check to be sure you don't have two copies of the DLL.  I don't see that, but then I wasn't looking for it.  It was  a fairly simple fix, I don't think I did anything special.

Yeah, I had placed pizza's .dll in a backup folder in the same folder path, that was the issue.  

Your files works as intended, you are good to go! 

Tnx again man, great work.  If you take up pizza's stuff, I can help test between work crap.  Cheers. :)

Edited by Red Stapler

1 hour ago, Red Stapler said:

Yeah, I had placed pizza's .dll in a backup folder in the same folder path, that was the issue.  

Your files works as intended, you are good to go! 

Tnx again man, great work.  If you take up pizza's stuff, I can help test between work crap.  Cheers. :)

I'm working on adopting it, I've fixed another bug and have some improvements to make

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.