Out of curiosity, what's your craft naming scheme?

I've used a few different schemes when playing KSP, but not nearly as organized/complex as some I'm seeing detailed out here. :D

Lately, I've settled on a basic system organized around:

• KSC-[XXX] designation for specific missions, with each launch getting a new number
  • X-[#] for prototype craft and before anything goes on a specific mission

For example, in my Career game the first ship to launch was "KSC-001 First Ship" which after several more missions, I saved out as "X-0 Science Capsule". This was just the most basic parts to get science and unlock tech tree.

Later craft in the "X" series include:

• SX-1: First orbital station built in VAB as one prototype, then launched across three different missions
  • UX-1: The first unmanned craft for science purposes, which this designation could be a satellite or an unmanned resupply vehicle

Once craft are in space, I'll usually rename them according to purpose or any updates to the mission. So for example, the first space station around Kerbin became "KSS Alpha" and later "KSS Alpha I" after upgraded.

• 2 weeks later...

Most of my ships are in "Classes" (e.g Phoenix 1,2,3... or Star-chaser Mk 1,2,3 for ships that I would use multiple times, with the design changing very rarely.)

I have 2 main schemes.

First is my "Pioneer" scheme. Basically its just some encouraging or thematic name (or named after a god/goddess) that is supposed to reflect on a mission. (e.g "Phoenix" if it is supposed to be the first in orbit or "Pathfinder" if it is the first to go to another planet etc)

The second is my "Shuttle" scheme. That's a series of ships with their own name but that are bonded by the same goal. (e.g My ships that will go to Jool will be called "Hermes class" but they would also have their own name so the end result would be "Hermes Class "U.K.R.S Explorer"" or something like that)

I also usually have "U.K.R.S" at the start of every station/motheship/SSTO/EV (Eternal Voyager) which stands for "United Kerbal Republican Ship"

I know its complicated. I also once had a "Function" scheme that would name a ship after what it's function is (e.g "Orbit 1" or "Rescuer 3") but it is now merged with the other two.

Edited by Rover 6428

I tend to go with a series name followed by Mk#.  I like to give my aircraft bird names, with the type of bird corresponding to the size/function of the aircraft.  So a Hummingbird Mk1 would be a very small plane for early game science/contracts, and a Hummingbird Mk4 would be the same basic fuselage but upgraded with components from later in the tech tree.  Then a medium/large sized cargo plane might be the Pelican Mk1, and a medium spaceplane would be a Hawk Mk1.  I also tend to add designations for different variants, so a Hummingbird with a passenger cabin would be Hummingbird Mk1P, or with a Science Jr and other instruments would be Hummingbird Mk1S.

As far as satellites and spacecraft go, I choose a cool sounding name from pretty much anything, whether it be just a cool word or something from a game or book I'm enjoying.  My communications satellites are in the Liaison series, with different Mk designations for more upgraded antenna.  My Duna craft would be under maybe the Ares designation, and for Moho I like to do an Egyptian mythology theme (based off of Osiris from Destiny and his connection to Mercury). 

There are a few more intricacies that I would like to have as set "rules" but they usually are just created for one specific craft function.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.