An option to disable locked autostruts, please

This would be the next greatest quality of life improvement (at least for me) since being able to slot kerbals to external command seats. I've been playing for quite some time and reasonably good at making sophisticated ship and vehicle designs, but something that really causes problems or limitations for me in particular designs is locked autostruts I cannot disable! It would be so nice to be able to do this please, I understand locked autostruts are good for keeping certain things firmer when one is new to putting parts and certain designs together but I'd rather make the call as to what gets strutted or not if I so choose as I understand the interactions of them very well. Sometimes things I just want to be highly flexible and not overly rigid.

Edited by Dirt The Space Dirt Fox

15 hours ago, The Aziz said:

The only things I know that have locked autostruts are landing gear/wheels. Is there any more?

There's also the making history engine plates, though they are safer than most cases because they use grandparent strutting. My biggest issue is the wheels because by far most of my time in KSP is spent making and toying with wheeled vehicles, something of a specialty of mine, and the big problem with wheels is they all are locked to heaviest part strutting, and for me, that is bad! That causes the entire vehicle to be rigid when I don't want it to be, I'd rather change the strutting method to grandparent parts for instance so they only are rigid relative to the axle part I attach them to. I want my vehicles like longer trucks or buses to be able to flex more along their body as an example, and there's several benefits to this strategy such as less physical shock when wheels hit something that can cause them to burst by allowing the vehicle to form to the ground or whatever it's riding over. It just seems like such a simple thing that should exist to be allowed to override this locked strutting, it's frustrating for me as much as I love making advanced wheeled vehicles.

And lastly as an example of why one might like to be able to turn this off, is the instance of space stations exploding due to unsafe strut combinations, such a wheeled vehicle getting added to the mix there with locked heaviest part strutting. I however haven't had this example happen to me personally but I've heard all about it and is just another reason we need more control over this.

Edit: and by engine plates, I mean they cause parts attached to them to become locked, but it also strangely seems inconsistent as well and is not always the case? weird.

addendum

15 hours ago, The Aziz said:

The only things I know that have locked autostruts are landing gear/wheels. Is there any more?

I don't know what parameters grants a part a locked autostrut.

I have a new spaceplane that has a large kerbodyne tank attached to a parallel set of outer Mk3 rocket fuselage tanks and it has struts locked to grandparent part.

Right this moment I have a Duna ION plane that has the Protective aeroshell locked to grandparent part and I can't tell why.

This >

bYUN2R1.jpg

16 minutes ago, Aeroboi said:

I don't know what parameters grants a part a locked autostrut.

I have a new spaceplane that has a large kerbodyne tank attached to a parallel set of outer Mk3 rocket fuselage tanks and it has struts locked to grandparent part.

Right this moment I have a Duna ION plane that has the Protective aeroshell locked to grandparent part and I can't tell why.

This >

bYUN2R1.jpg

Yeah that's the funny thing about the engine plates, they like to cause that to happen to whatever you have the plate attached to, I almost think this might even be a bug, maybe they intended the engines attached to the plates to be grandparent strutted to the tank or whatever the plates are attached to? That would make more sense, and would be okay by default but override would be nice. This also doesn't seem to always be the case until like loading the ship in again after saving or such, I'd have to play around with it some more, I haven't used the plates a whole lot but it's certainly strange behaviour.

typo

• 3 weeks later...

I strongly second this, as docking a spaceplane to a large station often causes it to wildly thrash about and disassemble as a result of the auto-strutting switching to the heavier parts, or as an alternative, you could have the autostrut feature onto the strutted part when it is made in the VAB/SPH and not readjust after staging or docking

5 hours ago, bd1323 said:

I strongly second this, as docking a spaceplane to a large station often causes it to wildly thrash about and disassemble as a result of the auto-strutting switching to the heavier parts, or as an alternative, you could have the autostrut feature onto the strutted part when it is made in the VAB/SPH and not readjust after staging or docking

Just use grandparent autostruts. They’re very tame.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.