More Long-Term Living Spaces

Out of all the parts in KSP designed to carry Kerbals inside of them, the only one designed to look and feel even somewhat like a long-term living space for Kerbals is the Hitchhiker storage container, which provides free space to move about, cabinets full of useful stuff for work and play, etc. The only other habitat modules that aren't for command are the spaceplane parts, which internally look -- surprisingly -- like the interior of an airliner, with rows and rows of seats and very little in the way of living area for the passengers.

I would suggest that the devs add some more long-term habitat parts for 1.25m, 2.5m, 3.75m, and spaceplane part sizes. After all, who wants to spend a 10yr trip to Jool on a 747?

Yeah, it's totally ridiculous. After all, we know 100-year grand tours are best done in a chair in an unpressurized 1.25m service bay.

In the absence of any sort of mechanic to force players to use actual living space for their Kerbals, I suspect additional passenger compartments are a low priority for development. That said, plenty of mods do add big passenger compartments, and at least Kerbalism (and probably at least one other) forces use of something more than a chair.

I kind of do this by treating the current passenger modules as having a habitation version that only has half or a third the seats and they can't be used for launch. 

Would be good to have variations like that in the game so Jeb doesn't sneak in. Better still with habitation / life support mods like USI Life support these variations could have much better multipliers for how long Kerbals stay happy on long trips. 

8 hours ago, Mountainjk said:

Yeah, I agree it would be cool, I know there is mods that can do this but it would be cool to have it in the base game, maybe if there were a need for resources to keep the kerbals alive it would be good

This is exactly my point too.    Without a need for Life Support, intake or waste, there is no need for a kerbal to have additional space.   Spacecraft are designed to do exactly the job they are intended to do, and no more.   So there's no need for stock parts with more living space.    Now, if we get stock Life support, I'd love to see a bunch of modules designed like this.   I do want LS and more stock modules, but without LS in stock, I don't see a point. 

If you can get to Eeloo in a Mk1 capsule, what’s the point in having a bigger one?

If you can get to orbit in a rocket, what’s the point in all those spaceplane parts?

In fact, why bother with plane parts at all? There’s no gameplay reason to have them, when we can do point to point suborbital flights around Kerbin for the odd science contract.

What are all those superfluous structural panels for anyway?

And don’t get me started on solar panels.

Living space parts would serve the same purpose as the majority of KSP parts - for players to build stuff with. Invoking gameplay reasons for excluding parts is, in my opinion, a slippery slope argument because, when it comes right down to it, KSP is a bit short of gameplay mechanics.

4 hours ago, Gargamel said:

Ah, but if we can get them to include more gameplay mechanics with some new parts.....  hmmm?

But the rest is a fair point too. 

They seem to have resisted to date adding gameplay. Even if there is another whole mode dedicated to having no gameplay. 

6 hours ago, Gargamel said:

Ah, but if we can get them to include more gameplay mechanics with some new parts.....  hmmm?

But the rest is a fair point too. 

That would be excellent!

On 2/15/2019 at 6:32 AM, EchoLima said:

Commnet was a new gameplay mechanic- it's essentialy a life support limitation for probes.

This. 
And for inspiration, Moonshadow, greenhouse, lab, bride / control center, reactor, small part manufacturing and living space for 70 something kerbals most with spin gravity. 
Y5KYg32l.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.