Air Superiority Fighter Competition Unlimited [ON HOLD]

5 hours ago, hoioh said:

And then I finally realized that comment wasn't directed at me :rolleyes:

first of all, thanks for looking into it straight away, and secondly yes indeed, it wasn't directed at you :p the other plane uses 6 mods, which imo is just a bit too much...

56 minutes ago, sturmhauke said:

KerbalX's Craft Manager mod can tell you what parts mods your craft are using, among other things. It's one of my default quality-of-life mods.

Yeah, I know, but it won't work well on 1.6.x

Latest version is for 1.5.x

I mostly use mechjeb for engineering purposes, but the one thing it won't tell you is which mods are required, so I have to upload it to KerbalX to find out. So instead I keep 4 or 5 different installs of KSP each with different mods for different purposes, one of which is for this kind of challenge, another one for KEA, one for duna base architecture, etc. It pretty much guarantees a limit on mods used within a challenge enviroment

The next set of battles has been fought, and it sees @hoioh's SK-22-MK-2 take on @Rocket_man1234's Viper 11

Battles: 

Spoiler

Results: 

Spoiler

KOROJdg.jpg

The SK-22-MK-2 was by far the better plane in these battles. It probably wouldn't have even lost a plane if that annoying friendly fire incident didn't occur, thankfully that didn't have any impact on the outcome (if it would've, I would simply redo the battle though). So basically, the Viper 11 got absolutely erased without getting a single kill of its own. Once again here we see that it just has a massive disadvantage in size and maneuverability in comparison to a drone aircraft. The SK-22-MK-2s manage to fire first every single time, therefor pushing the Viper 11s into the defensive early on. The Viper 11s in there turn aren't maneuverable enough to escape the chase and that eventually leads to their death. The new contender, the SK-22-MK-2 did impress me on this first battle, it was fast and maneuverable, good enough with its missiles, but especially its gunfire was very impressive! Half the kills it got were through gunfire, while they still had missiles to fire as well, an impressive feat! I'm looking forward to see the SK-22-MK-2 take on the Zircon UT-7-B4

50 minutes ago, panzerknoef said:

annoying friendly fire incident 

That does happen sometimes, I noticed it before when at least 1 plane is lagging behind its sidewinders can get confused and then it's done because the leading plane is not dropping flares for a friendly missile...

I'm curious to see how it does against the zircon from the island, in my tests it was either one that dominated each consecutive match, over 8 rounds It was still 50/50 when taking off from the field near the runway 3v3

56 minutes ago, hoioh said:

That does happen sometimes, I noticed it before when at least 1 plane is lagging behind its sidewinders can get confused and then it's done because the leading plane is not dropping flares for a friendly missile...

I'm curious to see how it does against the zircon from the island, in my tests it was either one that dominated each consecutive match, over 8 rounds It was still 50/50 when taking off from the field near the runway 3v3

We will see about that probably tomorrow or something! I'm curious as well, your plane performs excellently and probably has a decent advantage when it comes to guns. Whatever happens, the winner will deserve that top spot 

1 hour ago, panzerknoef said:

We will see about that probably tomorrow or something! I'm curious as well, your plane performs excellently and probably has a decent advantage when it comes to guns. Whatever happens, the winner will deserve that top spot 

Abd if it doesn't I still have another, more BSG-style craft that can go toe to toe with the sk-22, but I want to do some more tuning on that one so it can reliably beat it

3 hours ago, HeroBrian_333 said:

Hey @panzerknoef, how did you get the Zircon to favor missiles?

Shorten the gun range did that trick for me, it uses the missiles for a longer time that way.

Also, damn my Zircon for crashing into the ocean... It does that more often. Gonna have to go over the autopilot settings again one day

Edited by panzerknoef

Draconic Meteor

Made by Draconic Aerospace.

fISVxt4.pngs7AxC6U.png

And it can also fly while lacking most of one wing and and an engine (like this)

sNpuMKu.png

This is an Air Superiority Attack/ Ground Attack Fighter, It has 1 Full sized J-404 Panther and 2 Mini Panthers (personally I prefer to call them J-202s.)

It can carry 6 Maverick Laser Guided Missiles or any other ordinance and is equipped 4 x  .50 mm Browning Guns, firing in a salvo or at 3000 RPM

It comes equipped with the FLIR Targeting Ball Camera .

While fully armed (6 x Mavericks and 19200 rounds for the 4 Brownings) In wet mode it has a TWR of 1+, allowing it to climb vertically and gain speed

It comes equipped with AI Control, which can be changed to the user's preference..

It can also be used for High Speed/ Altitude Surveillance purposes.

(Using Jeb as pilot is strongly advised/suggested, the pilot needs to be able to fly without fear.)

Craft file:

https://kerbalx.com/HyperDraco/Draconic-Meteor

Good Luck (Fight Ruthlessly)

Ok @HyperDraco, this isn't an air superiority fighter. This is a JSF, so maybe redesign it for air to air combat?

5 hours ago, panzerknoef said:

Gonna have to go over the autopilot settings again one day

This is what I'm doing with my craft. It is as maneuverable as @Avera9eJoe's Volta XV Spear (similar design), but the autopilot is either turning too much or not enough.

19 minutes ago, HeroBrian_333 said:

Ok @HyperDraco, this isn't an air superiority fighter. This is a JSF, so maybe redesign it for air to air combat?

This is what I'm doing with my craft. It is as maneuverable as @Avera9eJoe's Volta XV Spear (similar design), but the autopilot is either turning too much or not enough.

Hello There,

I had designed it as an Air superiority fighter but during tests, noticed it performed well as a Ground attack fighter.

However, you are right, I have unintentionally designed a JSF, I will retry to make a supersonic Air Superiority Fighter. 

PS: Might have taken some inspiration from other types.

Sorry

Edited by HyperDraco

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.