Air Superiority Fighter Competition Unlimited [ON HOLD]

4 hours ago, HeroBrian_333 said:

Does anyone know what the steer ki. setting does?

I've been looking around for that info too, as far as I can tell KI stands for Key Input, which I guess is used to determine how long the steer input for maneuvers is held before recalculating. A higher setting will result in smoother maneuvers, a lower setting will result in more jittery maneuvers. I found that tweaking the value can change a craft's behaviour significantly and recommend you test differences of 0.01 between runs to find the best value for a specific craft

Edited by hoioh

4 hours ago, panzerknoef said:

Alright guys, next battles probably for Saturday, I've just got a whole lot of work kinda unexpectedly, which is why I haven't uploaded anything yet, don't worry though, they will come! 

When you still rather do your job, than play a game, it's a good job worth doing!

But you dp realize you're adding tension now, eh? THE TENSION! :confused:

On 2/24/2019 at 9:41 PM, panzerknoef said:

this aircraft of yours has a ton of mods, think you can scale the count down a bit to make it easier for everyone to use?

I can try to remove the NFE and Airplane Plus but there should only be about 4 mods. 

Edited by sumghai
Snipped quote to relevant part

It has happened, the fight has been fought! @hoioh's SK-22-MK-2 took on my own Zircon UT-7-B4, are you ready for the results?

Battles: 

Spoiler

Results: 

Spoiler

GLMYp86.jpg

The longest battle so far, taking up 4 rounds. That really shows just how matched these aircraft were to each other. In the end however, it was the result of the very first battle which eventually made the winner. So, where do I start... Let's begin with the SK-22-MK-2, it's smaller than the Zircon, has more gunpower, and a better TwR, however, it's slightly less maneuverable and doesn't carry as much missiles as the Zircon. It were these final facts that gave the Zircon the edge in this battle. It's advantage in maneuverability meant that it could more easily evade weaponry, most importantly here, the gunfire of the SK-22-MK-2, which meant that even though the SK had the advantage with guns, it couldn't get them on target enough since the Zircon was a better dogfighter. On top of that the Zircon had 2 extra missiles which meant it usually still had missiles fairly late in the fight, giving it a significant advantage. Round 2 was a perfect example of how good the SK-22-MK-2 is though, they managed to take out all 3 Zircon aircraft in a very short time frame. All in all I guess we can say that the perfect aircraft would be somewhere in between these 2 rivals, but for now, the Zircon remains the best fighter in the competition!

13 hours ago, RecyclingBin said:

I can try to remove the NFE and Airplane Plus but there should only be about 4 mods. 

Remove the NFE and we've got a deal, 4 mods outside of BDA indeed, which isn't the smallest number. Don't forget that some people might do their own battles, and it's not exactly nice if you have to download a load of extra mods just for fighting a single battle.

2 hours ago, panzerknoef said:

It has happened, the fight has been fought! @hoioh's SK-22-MK-2 took on my own Zircon UT-7-B4, are you ready for the results?

Battles: 

Hide contents

Results: 

Hide contents

GLMYp86.jpg

The longest battle so far, taking up 4 rounds. That really shows just how matched these aircraft were to each other. In the end however, it was the result of the very first battle which eventually made the winner. So, where do I start... Let's begin with the SK-22-MK-2, it's smaller than the Zircon, has more gunpower, and a better TwR, however, it's slightly less maneuverable and doesn't carry as much missiles as the Zircon. It were these final facts that gave the Zircon the edge in this battle. It's advantage in maneuverability meant that it could more easily evade weaponry, most importantly here, the gunfire of the SK-22-MK-2, which meant that even though the SK had the advantage with guns, it couldn't get them on target enough since the Zircon was a better dogfighter. On top of that the Zircon had 2 extra missiles which meant it usually still had missiles fairly late in the fight, giving it a significant advantage. Round 2 was a perfect example of how good the SK-22-MK-2 is though, they managed to take out all 3 Zircon aircraft in a very short time frame. All in all I guess we can say that the perfect aircraft would be somewhere in between these 2 rivals, but for now, the Zircon remains the best fighter in the competition!

A number 2 spot it is then, I'm going to work on my next model some more and now know what to do to get an edge against the zircon

In my own tests it was a coin flip to see which would win and I won't submit another craft until it's capable of reliably beating both the SK-22 and the Zircon

Thanks for the cool footage!

8 hours ago, hoioh said:

A number 2 spot it is then, I'm going to work on my next model some more and now know what to do to get an edge against the zircon

In my own tests it was a coin flip to see which would win and I won't submit another craft until it's capable of reliably beating both the SK-22 and the Zircon

Thanks for the cool footage!

Gotta say that the SK-22 was also quite prone to blowing itself up since the missiles would get stuck in the front canards. Had to rerun some battles a couple of times to prevent that from happening. 

8 hours ago, panzerknoef said:

Gotta say that the SK-22 was also quite prone to blowing itself up since the missiles would get stuck in the front canards. Had to rerun some battles a couple of times to prevent that from happening. 

Odd, didn't experience that myself.

I've been tweaking the design last night and have a stronger model already, but I have a lot of AI issues. I'm not sure if anybody else has this, but after reloading a whole bunch of times I start to get errors up to the point where things stop working properly. I've found that by that time I have to close KSP and remove the 4 files that module manager creates, only leave the dll and then reboot KSP. This appears to fix a lot of issues. It may be that the stuck missiles are one of the symptoms

9 minutes ago, hoioh said:

Odd, didn't experience that myself.

I've been tweaking the design last night and have a stronger model already, but I have a lot of AI issues. I'm not sure if anybody else has this, but after reloading a whole bunch of times I start to get errors up to the point where things stop working properly. I've found that by that time I have to close KSP and remove the 4 files that module manager creates, only leave the dll and then reboot KSP. This appears to fix a lot of issues. It may be that the stuck missiles are one of the symptoms

And I have never experienced that... I don't actually think the stick missiles are a symptom of that since it only happens to your aircraft. And I've actually watched the side winder getting tangled up between the front canards, so I think it's just design based tbh

8 hours ago, panzerknoef said:

And I have never experienced that... I don't actually think the stick missiles are a symptom of that since it only happens to your aircraft. And I've actually watched the side winder getting tangled up between the front canards, so I think it's just design based tbh

I'll look into it some more then

since I'm still waiting for a changed version of the Falcon and the Draconic Meteor, I've put the Kabuto through its paces and ran its first battles, so here it is!

@Rocket_man1234's Viper-11 vs @sturmhauke's SAI-DF-1 Kabuto

Battles: 

Spoiler

Results: 

Spoiler

Nz3g8iz.jpg

It wasn't much of a fight to be honest, but then again, the Viper-11 just hasn't got the right design meta to really compete with the smaller and more maneuverable drones. Talking about drones though, the Kabuto is an excellent one! Just how quickly they managed to chew through the Viper-11s was quite scary. The Kabuto is definitely not the smallest drone, in fact, its the biggest so far. But with all this size comes a whole lot of wing surface, allowing the drone to change direction extraordinarily quickly, making it a very good dogfighter. With 1 gun and 6 missiles, it doesn't seem to be very well armed, but you'd be wrong! In this fight it was quite efficient with its missiles, and when it ran out of those it would just stick to the Viper until it could shoot it down with guns. The Viper didn't really have a lot to say in this battle, it was being bossed around, getting a single missile kill in round 1, and nothing beyond that. It did seem to be a bit faster than the Kabutos, getting some distance here and there, then to just get shot my a missile, since it went out of gun range. Once again I don't think we've seen the howitzer in action.

The Kabuto moves up to spot 3 and the Viper-11 drops down again, this time to spot 4.

more battles as @sturmhauke's Kabuto continues its way up and now meets @hoioh's SK-22-MK-2

battles: 

Spoiler

results: 

Spoiler

Y9fxCZf.jpg

way more of a mismatch than I could have possibly imagined! The Kabuto didn't even manage to rack up a single kill, the last game just took so long because the SK-22-MK-2's all ran out of ammo and it was simply waiting until one of the contestants would run out of fuel, and sadly, that was the Kabuto, no comeback at all, just straight out defeat. The main problems with the Kabuto seem to be the damage mitigation, its use of weaponry and its lackluster ability to evade incoming missiles. For both battles the Kabutos starting suffering losses very early in game, getting hit and taken out by the first or second salvo of missiles. A single hit on these aircraft also was more than enough to either take them out entirely or cause enough damage to make them a sitting duck. I'm guessing their lack of proper evasion has to do with the engines on board the Kabuto. They are 2 large, hot engines, making it easier for the sidewinders to lock onto them. As mentioned before, the Kabuto also has issues using its weaponry, we saw it pretty late in the battle, still carrying all of its missiles, and if you don't fire, it's hard to kill anyone. I think the Kabuto would do a lot better with significantly decreased gun range, since that would allow it to hit the rounds more accurately, but also gives it more time to use missiles.

The SK-22-MK-2 on the other hand performed admirably. Using its advantage in speed and firepower to its advantage to create absolute havoc among the Kabuto team. Its disadvantage in maneuverabilty was usually quite quickly resolved when they shot off some control surfaces on the Kabutos, making it easy pickings for them.

All in all, the Kabuto keeps its #3 spot and the SK-22-MK-2 gains a defensive victory, managing to stay at #2.

Good to know that even though the Zircon is a bridge too far, the SK-22 can ward off most everything else

I've upgraded the video card this week, so no more stuttering with 6 100 part planes in the air, which allows me to better test the MK-3 version

I'll have to see what causes the planes to sometimes just run away, happened in a test battle betweeb the MK-2 and MK-3 the other day as well, even though the plane still has missiles and guns with ammo, sometimes they just choose to leg it for the hills

Weird behaviour

I also had a self-strike of a MK-2 a couple days ago, but so far the MK-3 has no such problems

My plane still doesn't want to turn to its full capacity... frustrating, to say the least. It can turn on a dime when in human control. Maybe I'll film some maneuvers on my side (and Avera9ejoe, if you are reading this, it is not a TOTAL knockoff... just close).

7 minutes ago, HeroBrian_333 said:

My plane still doesn't want to turn to its full capacity... frustrating, to say the least. It can turn on a dime when in human control. Maybe I'll film some maneuvers on my side (and Avera9ejoe, if you are reading this, it is not a TOTAL knockoff... just close).

I suggest downloading some other craft that do flip the way you like and see how the AI is configured, then tweak that untill you have a result you like

The SK-22 is basically made out of control surfaces, so it needs the settings tuned down a little, but it also depends on the stability of your plane (how far the COM is removed from the COL) because the AI mostly has limiting settings. Also, getting it to flip too easily can cause the aI to do so all the time, which slows down your plane and makes it easy pickings, so it's important to test, tune, test, tune, etc fighting against the #1, once you can beat that, try the others in the queue to see if you can reach the #1 spot

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.