Air Superiority Fighter Competition Unlimited [ON HOLD]

1 hour ago, Tsar_bomba said:

thanks, I hope it works

Then after that, copy your ksp folder and play from there to avoid future unwanted updating. KSP doesn't contain drm to the point where you can't play from a copied folder.

Edited by hoioh

7 hours ago, Project Cygnus said:

@panzerknoef May I make a suggestion next time this challenge is ran, Turrets locked to position by changing the settings in the SPH. The majority of my fighters run Locked 30mm Chainguns, however by changing the guns it would throw the mass enough to effect maneuverability, They're light bois

We can consider it, it shouldn't be a problem if their settings are locked. 

1 hour ago, Tsar_bomba said:

MY FIRST GOOD CRAFT

;) Well ... ;)

Ok , so , i suggest you some points , up to you to use it !

- Before building a Fighter aircraft , build a Flyable aircraft first . ( doesn't need to be complex but a good frame is recommended )

- Place Weaponary safe inside fuselage and/or tank . ( one sidewinder destroy most of your 2 HP ammo box )

- Use RCS in BDAc dogfight ... MMmmm .... no sir !

- Protect your main wings with flat surface or bigger wing strafe .

- Forget Browning .50 Cal . good for WWII only . ( BTW there are pretty fun )

- Try fine tuning on AI Pilot module , it's really important task !

- Radôme is useful coupled with AIM-120 , Most missile have they own tracking system , ( except A2G Missile and Sub-Marine Torpedo )

- Hydra 7 are ignored by BDAc Weapon Manager ( Manual use only )

- Probably other points but it's good for today .

Well , i not try to "blame" you i try to help you to build better aircraft .

ASFC is not "Just put a weapon on a flying thing"

In a haste to see your next aircraft .

Yopyop ;)

Battle:

Spoiler

@dundun92's Du-15-20 goes up against #1 spot, @sturmhauke's DF-2 Yari

Okay, before we go onto the After Action Report, have some bonus battles:

Spoiler

After Action Report:

Spoiler

Battle Report:

IrUpdfW.png

Aircraft Statistical Comparison:

Aircraft

Flt. Dyn.

Propls.

End.

Size

Damage Mtgtn.

Offnsv. Capblts.

Flt. Ctrl.

Du-15-20

DF-2 Yari

Analysis:

So I think you can see why this was a tough battle to judge.

The first few battles were accidentally run with infinite ammo; not that it was likely to change the outcome, but it's still an incorrectly run set of battles.

As for the rest, well, it kind of depends on the Du-15, and a whole lot of luck.

Sidewinder spamming tends to be pretty luck based.

In the battles that the DF-2 won, it either struck faster and harder, landing hits. As well, the relatively poor flight dynamics and control of the Du-15 caused it to make many mistakes, which the DF-2s could exploit with its more stable flight programming.

In the battles that the Du-15 won, it was making less mistakes to throw itself off, and could fight effectively. It's a fast, maneuverable aircraft, and is pretty good at dodging missiles; it might not need as much luck to dodge missiles since it's maneuverable.

It's a close battle, but it'll be given to the DF-2 Yari as a defensive victory. However, the Du-15 will also have a run at the Gauntlet, and if it makes it through both, will advance to the #1 spot, pushing the Yari down.

11 hours ago, ZLM-Master said:

;) Well ... ;)

Ok , so , i suggest you some points , up to you to use it !

- Before building a Fighter aircraft , build a Flyable aircraft first . ( doesn't need to be complex but a good frame is recommended )

- Place Weaponary safe inside fuselage and/or tank . ( one sidewinder destroy most of your 2 HP ammo box )

- Use RCS in BDAc dogfight ... MMmmm .... no sir !

- Protect your main wings with flat surface or bigger wing strafe .

- Forget Browning .50 Cal . good for WWII only . ( BTW there are pretty fun )

- Try fine tuning on AI Pilot module , it's really important task !

- Radôme is useful coupled with AIM-120 , Most missile have they own tracking system , ( except A2G Missile and Sub-Marine Torpedo )

- Hydra 7 are ignored by BDAc Weapon Manager ( Manual use only )

- Probably other points but it's good for today .

Well , i not try to "blame" you i try to help you to build better aircraft .

ASFC is not "Just put a weapon on a flying thing"

In a haste to see your next aircraft .

Yopyop ;)

I knew I did something wrong

but that was actually my untested verson, as I ran out of time

Edited by Tsar_bomba
missed something, you meant ASFCU

Battle:

Spoiler

Bonus rounds:

Spoiler

After Action Report:

Spoiler

Battle Report:

whcE2ZD.png

Aircraft

Flt. Dyn.

Propls.

End.

Size

Damage Mtgtn.

Offnsv. Capblts.

Flt. Ctrl.

Du-15-20

PEGASys-D7

Analysis:

Another very close battle. Bonus battles show that the Du-15 can win through pure missile spam... as per the current trend. It's kind of a 50/50 call which aircraft wins, really.

But here's the thing: when you're bringing almost double the amount of missiles (42+3 RD vs 24) to the battle and can't secure a clear lead, I don't think the Du-15 can be called "victorious" in this battle. It still had the missile count advantage in the 2v3 (28+2 RD vs 24)! And that's how I'll make the judging call; the Du-15 just doesn't perform well enough against a legacy aircraft despite being a more advanced and newer aircraft carrying far more ordnance.

The PEGASys-D7, by this point, is just a "good" aircraft. It's got solid fundamentals, but it's not really pushing the edges of what we now know is possible in performance. I should note that another "weakness" of the aircraft I've finally consciously identified is it keeps all of its missiles on two rails; it's really easy to de-missile the PEGASys-D. Doing so usually gives the opponent the advantage. Although, I have to say, I think the PEGASys-D actually has better damage mitigation than the PEGASys-K... or rather, the PEGASys-K's damage mitigation isn't as good as it seems... we'll have to check on that again later.

The Du-15-20 is a next-gen drone, with armoring and heavy weaponry. Its fault, as we've seen through its entire series, is its faulty flight control; it just makes a lot of mistakes, which can open up a lot of holes for the D7 to exploit. But when it doesn't, it just constantly throws missiles throughout the entire match, by which point the D7s have either run out of missiles, or (more likely) have taken hits that have made them lose all of their missiles. At which point, it continues to throw missiles until the enemies are all dead. Like in Battle 2, where it pretty much solo-wins a 1v2 just by throwing missiles, and getting extremely lucky with its last missile.

When it gets down to guns, the Du-15 has the clear edge in maneuverability, but the D7 appears to have enough maneuverability and control to keep up in a dogfight. Gun performance-wise, they're about equal.

And finally, Sidewinder randomness. Sometimes flares just seem to work, sometimes they don't.

The D7 wins this defensive victory, but because it was also basically a 50/50 match, I'll throw the Du-15 against the HSC just to see how it performs. I suspect the immense amount of missile spam will be a good solution against the HSC, however.

Battle:

Spoiler

@dundun92's Du-15-20 faces off the other Gauntlet boss aircraft, @dundun93's HSC:

After Action Report:

Spoiler

Aircraft

Flt. Dyn.

Propls.

End.

Size

Damage Mtgtn.

Offnsv. Capblts.

Flt. Ctrl.

Du-15-20

HSC

???

Analysis:

The HSC does not like missiles.

In fact, this was probably the most efficient we've seen the Du-15-20 take care of anything so far.

So what did it do right besides throw an endless stream of missiles?

Well, it runs away.

Yep. Just like the TFD, an aircraft's best bet is to extend away to exploit the HSC's slow acceleration and speed to get away from its guns. This, inadvertently, is accomplished by... kinda screwy flight control. Its flight control is not very compliant, but missing a beat and not turning in is actually an advantage here.

The PEGASys-D7, by comparison, is flexible and fights more depending on the enemy it's facing, with enough flight control to dogfight in low speed turning fights if it wants to. Unfortunately, this is typically a bad idea against the HSC, which is very strong in close quarters, with more maneuverability than most things I've seen, including the newer Du- fighters with forward-biased CoL aerodynamics.

This is the HSC's first Gauntlet loss.

Another battle:

Spoiler

@sturmhauke's DF-2 Yari also faces Gauntlet boss @dundun93's HSC:

After Action Report:

Spoiler

Aircraft

Flt. Dyn.

Propls.

End.

Size

Damage Mtgtn.

Offnsv. Capblts.

Flt. Ctrl.

DF-2 Yari

HSC

???

Analysis:

Again, the HSC doesn't like missiles. It also doesn't like getting hit by 30mm shells.

However, the DF-2 Yari has a more compliant AI, which, maybe ironically, slows it down a bit compared to the Du-15-20 in terms of combat strategy, but it still takes pretty wide turns, so it's still able to make some distance against the HSC. As well, its propulsion is less, which gives it lower acceleration- but still enough to generally outrun the HSC. As well, it seems to be able to decently take hits from the rear, and the tough internal structure is additional protection.

Also, the Yari has a very high closing speed, so it tends to extend away right after the merge, giving them some time to regroup after scattering the HSCs, and occasionally getting a hit.

However, in the one match that the DF-2s flew in close combat, they were utterly annihilated by the HSCs. The HSCs thrive when they can circle down below their targets, and their flying style tends to keep the team of HSCs all in relatively the same area, as opposed to scattering about the battlefield like most other aircraft, which is another unique quirk of the HSCs. The HSCs like to control a section of the air in which they circle around, while the enemy flies around the perimeter, and the battle ends up being if the HSCs can be defeated from the outside, or if its enemies are sucked into the deathball.

In this case, the Yari proves itself to also be capable of taking on the HSCs from the outside with missiles and lethal short-time-on-target burst mass from its twin GAUs.

This is the HSC's second Gauntlet loss.

2 hours ago, Box of Stardust said:

Battle:

Hide contents

@dundun92's Du-15-20 faces off the other Gauntlet boss aircraft, @dundun93's HSC:

After Action Report:

Reveal hidden contents

Aircraft

Flt. Dyn.

Propls.

End.

Size

Damage Mtgtn.

Offnsv. Capblts.

Flt. Ctrl.

Du-15-20

HSC

???

Analysis:

The HSC does not like missiles.

In fact, this was probably the most efficient we've seen the Du-15-20 take care of anything so far.

So what did it do right besides throw an endless stream of missiles?

Well, it runs away.

Yep. Just like the TFD, an aircraft's best bet is to extend away to exploit the HSC's slow acceleration and speed to get away from its guns. This, inadvertently, is accomplished by... kinda screwy flight control. Its flight control is not very compliant, but missing a beat and not turning in is actually an advantage here.

The PEGASys-D7, by comparison, is flexible and fights more depending on the enemy it's facing, with enough flight control to dogfight in low speed turning fights if it wants to. Unfortunately, this is typically a bad idea against the HSC, which is very strong in close quarters, with more maneuverability than most things I've seen, including the newer Du- fighters with forward-biased CoL aerodynamics.

This is the HSC's first Gauntlet loss.

Another battle:

Reveal hidden contents

@sturmhauke's DF-2 Yari also faces Gauntlet boss @dundun93's HSC:

After Action Report:

Reveal hidden contents

Aircraft

Flt. Dyn.

Propls.

End.

Size

Damage Mtgtn.

Offnsv. Capblts.

Flt. Ctrl.

DF-2 Yari

HSC

???

Analysis:

Again, the HSC doesn't like missiles. It also doesn't like getting hit by 30mm shells.

However, the DF-2 Yari has a more compliant AI, which, maybe ironically, slows it down a bit compared to the Du-15-20 in terms of combat strategy, but it still takes pretty wide turns, so it's still able to make some distance against the HSC. As well, its propulsion is less, which gives it lower acceleration- but still enough to generally outrun the HSC. As well, it seems to be able to decently take hits from the rear, and the tough internal structure is additional protection.

Also, the Yari has a very high closing speed, so it tends to extend away right after the merge, giving them some time to regroup after scattering the HSCs, and occasionally getting a hit.

However, in the one match that the DF-2s flew in close combat, they were utterly annihilated by the HSCs. The HSCs thrive when they can circle down below their targets, and their flying style tends to keep the team of HSCs all in relatively the same area, as opposed to scattering about the battlefield like most other aircraft, which is another unique quirk of the HSCs. The HSCs like to control a section of the air in which they circle around, while the enemy flies around the perimeter, and the battle ends up being if the HSCs can be defeated from the outside, or if its enemies are sucked into the deathball.

In this case, the Yari proves itself to also be capable of taking on the HSCs from the outside with missiles and lethal short-time-on-target burst mass from its twin GAUs.

This is the HSC's second Gauntlet loss.

Doh!

Soooo yeah, I'm not running any battles myself because my game decided to stop wanting to zoom in properly, which is kinda important for the videos. This means we're down to fewer judges and means the battle recordings will be longer between. I've already tried a lot of stuff to resolve it, but no luck so far... Let's hope it just goes away over time! 

Maybe restart your PC or re-download ksp.

1 hour ago, panzerknoef said:

Soooo yeah, I'm not running any battles myself because my game decided to stop wanting to zoom in properly, which is kinda important for the videos. This means we're down to fewer judges and means the battle recordings will be longer between. I've already tried a lot of stuff to resolve it, but no luck so far... Let's hope it just goes away over time! 

Also you could get someone else to record.

Edited by TheRandomGuy1029

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.