Air Superiority Fighter Competition Unlimited [ON HOLD]

On 3/2/2020 at 11:38 PM, Box of Stardust said:

So, basically, from this point, I'd figure that ASC:UL is probably at a wall, at least for the regulars here. It may still continue (we've got someone else that might help record matches) just for the fun factor if that remains an interest, but for me personally, I'm slightly more interested in moving to a different format that is also perhaps "more open" in a weird way, such that the aircraft in focus aren't the deadliest dogfighting drones to ever be created in BDA, but instead, more "normal" planes that are in some ways more accessible.

Hmm, maybe something like each plane must have a un-tweakscaled cockpit may help?

It's been a while since we ran any battles. Still, you brought a kerbal to a drone fight, not the best idea.

If we do fully revive this thing, I move we establish a drone division and a kerbal division. I can say with confidence that the best manned fighter will never beat a high-ranked drone fighter.

Just now, sturmhauke said:

It's been a while since we ran any battles. Still, you brought a kerbal to a drone fight, not the best idea.

If we do fully revive this thing, I move we establish a drone division and a kerbal division. I can say with confidence that the best manned fighter will never beat a high-ranked drone fighter.

I mean.... You definitely should establish a Drone and a Kerbal Division.... SO that's it's balanced

https://imgur.com/gallery/GendYrR

Nooo! I’ve only recently discovered KSP but through XBOX console and not the traditional PC version lol. Is there any way to extract craft files since they are both products Microsoft!?!?? Or am I dreaming miracles.. hahaha & my F-22 RAPTOR air superiority fighter has a sleek & stealthy design and has internally mounted weapons and pulls 30+ G’s when doing a max loop ASL. Can perform pretty much all tactical dogfight manoeuvres including advanced moves performed only by the USAF F-22.  

Part count: 95

Engine count: 2x panther’s + 2x whiplash’(panthers afterburner toggle linked to RCS button)

Turn rate: 26deg per sec (full action input)

Max G’s: 32 (full action input) 

Stealth Armoury: 2x internally mounted hypersonic seeker missiles (nuke warhead).

Top speed: Mach 2.5 

Max altitude: 23km 

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/18/2020 at 11:39 PM, epicfailure2020 said:

two things. one. can i use bda weapons extension kerbal field or north kerbin dynamics. two. can i use ksp 1.9.1.

Probably not for the extra mods. They are too op.

Yes, we (we? They?) Are working on updating the challenge to 1.9.1.

On 5/20/2020 at 9:28 AM, Xd the great said:

Probably not for the extra mods. They are too op.

Yes, we (we? They?) Are working on updating the challenge to 1.9.1.

Speaking of mods, have you considered restricting the allowed addons to a predefined list? It's just my opinion, but leaving them open-ended takes part of the challenge of building aircraft and fine-tuning the AI into searching for modifications which might be unevenly balanced (not to mention it halts the building process between asking if it is allowed and getting a response). Maybe include FAR?

Another suggestion is to establish requirements (such as the ones proposed in the Advanced Tactical Fighter program, which gave rise to the F-22) and constraints (sum of aircraft length and width must be smaller than x, aircraft must fit within a box of a*b*c size, cost must be lower than n). Perhaps use equations for determining the aircraft's final score to remove subjectivities (examples: aircraft cost times kill-death ratio, multiplying the final score by (cheapest aircraft cost) divided by (submitted aircraft cost), armament weight divided by total weight, etc)?

Just some things I thought would be interesting to increase competitivity within more restricted boundaries, something something "level playing field"

Edited by Guest

On 5/25/2020 at 7:59 AM, Aperture Science said:

Speaking of mods, have you considered restricting the allowed addons to a predefined list? It's just my opinion, but leaving them open-ended takes part of the challenge of building aircraft and fine-tuning the AI into searching for modifications which might be unevenly balanced (not to mention it halts the building process between asking if it is allowed and getting a response). Maybe include FAR?

Another suggestion is to establish requirements (such as the ones proposed in the Advanced Tactical Fighter program, which gave rise to the F-22) and constraints (sum of aircraft length and width must be smaller than x, aircraft must fit within a box of a*b*c size, cost must be lower than n). Perhaps use equations for determining the aircraft's final score to remove subjectivities (examples: aircraft cost times kill-death ratio, multiplying the final score by (cheapest aircraft cost) divided by (submitted aircraft cost), armament weight divided by total weight, etc)?

Just some things I thought would be interesting to increase competitivity within more restricted boundaries, something something "level playing field"

That said, this challenge is, probably, discontinued, or at least indefinite hiatus. At least in its current form. Reasons for such are: somewhat stagnated development (on the "unlimited" front), all of our members are currently busy with other things (some BDA related, some not), and that BDA beyond 1.7.3 doesn't actually work properly for everyone (missiles do not work as they did, causing questionable results).

We've long since moved most of our discussions onto our Discord, so even if the thread itself has not moved in a fair amount of time, discussions regarding the aircraft built here and related principles have gone quite far.

It may not be listed officially in the thread rules, but we actually recommend a very small restricted mod list to focus the craft creation challenge into specific concepts. We generally don't allow different weapon mods, as we're quite aware of the bizarre imbalances between capabilities. The "Unlimited" challenge somewhat evolved into "unlimited within a set of relatively conventional bounds", and the only real metric we cared about was final performance on the battlefield. ASC Unlimited was first and foremost focused on finding the theoretically deadliest fighter possible, with lessons easily applicable to any other BDA competition out there. This is a big reason why the semi-formally restricted mod rule is in place- because there are few other places where such mods would be allowed anyways..

Anyways, we have, for the most part, considered most of the applicable lessons discovered, and now we're just doing weird theory things between KSP-BDA interactions.

If we were to continue ASC in any other way, it would involve a new set of challenge parameters with new craft creation focuses; a few ideas have been tossed around. However, there just hasn't been the time nor energy.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.