KSP Original Design Competition

Welcome to the KSP Original Design Competition, brought to you by @Servo and @HB Stratos!

The Idea
Servo came up with a challenge for his own to build an original design for each jet fighter generation. I was inspired by this and in collaboration with Servo we made background information/guoverment contract for each jet plane generation.

The Contracts
1. Generation

Spoiler

Government contract No.001
by myself

"After WWII the Navy is looking for a plane to replace their old, prop driven aircraft on their carriers. The goal is a at least twin jet plane to increase reliability. It should include the revolutionary swept wing technology, but since it isn´t well known it should be a conservative approach. The plane is meant to be a large fighter, able to do dogfighting as well as straving runs. It should be capable of carrying bombs and unguided missiles but it´s main option for attack and defense is a gun. Since it is a carrier aircraft it is required to have a tailhook and a sturdy gear. Look at the designs form late WW2 and early post war and build a prototype to match the requirements. Focus especialy on how planes of that day looked (smooth curves etc)"

Spoiler

Government contract No.011
by HolidayTheLeek

"The army air corps needs your help! A more advanced jet aircraft with the new missile technology is needed to replace the rapidly obsolescent straight winged and early swept winged gunfighters. The aircraft must have guided missiles, but still have guns as primary armament due to the innacuracies with this new technology. The aircraft must go above 1000km/h but should preferably be supersonic. Swept wings are encouraged, however delta wings are also recommended. Take inspiration from planes like the F-100, MiG-19, Gloster Javelin and later versions of the F-86 and Hunter."

2. Generation

Spoiler

Government contract No.002
by myself

"The threat of a soviet nuclear attack have lead the US gouverment to reach out to the aircraft manufacturers. The gouverment has issued a quick attack interceptor. A plane that is as fast as possible with quick takeoff ability from short runways is required. Further design requirements include a high service ceeling as well as a relatively small plane to avoid tracking by early radars. The plane´s main weapon are Missiles but because of their inreliablility a powerfull gun is required as well. Build an original prototype aircraft to meet the requirements. Main Focus is speed not agility, think about how you can get good perfromance from your planes and what technical developements were around at that time."

Spoiler

Government contract No.010
by ScaryTerry

"With the threat of nuclear war becoming bigger and bigger the United States Air Force is in desperate need of a new strategic bomber. A medium sized bomber, capable of speeds succeeding mach 2, with a high service ceiling and range is required to fill the gap between heavy but subsonic bombers like the B-52 and small fighter bombers like the F-4 Phantom II. With a payload capacity of 4 tons or more it should be able to carry 1 or 2 nuclear bombs. 
Get inspired by aircrafts like the british V-bombers, the Tu-22 Blinder or even the XB-70."

3. Generation

Spoiler

Government contract No. 3
by myself

"The developing Vietnam war has shown a lack of low altitude fighter-bombers able to get the newly deveoped AGM-65 Maveric to it´s destination. The Airforce's requirements include short takeoff from bumpy runways near the battlefiels, ability to carry various missiles and bombs, the ability to outrun soviet planes and have superiority in dogfights. Reliability and survivability are the highest priority. The Navy has also requested a new, carrier based plane for low altitude attack. Navy requirements are high climb rate, incorporation of newly developed targeting pods as well as carrier capability. Carrier capability means a tail hook, reinforced landing gear and a low stall speed. Take inspiration from planes of that time (not only US ones) and build an original design to meet the requirements. It is possible to build an A variant for the Airforce and a B variant for the Navy. Think about the inovations of the era (read the Wikipredia for more)"

Spoiler

Government contract No.004  (still generation 3)
by Servo

"The Air battles over Korea and analysis of the developing F-4 Phantom show a gap in U.S. Capability for a fast, small, and nimble fighter capable of getting into air-to-air battles and surviving. Take inspiration from early-60's era fighters and create an original design to fill this gap"

Spoiler

Government contract No. 012
by Night_Ranger428

With funding cuts hitting the A-10 project hard, a new ground attack aircraft is 
needed to fill the close support role. The aircraft should have a very high weapons capacity, be fairly manoeuvrable at 
low level. The aircraft should be tough(insofar as possible in KSP), twin-engined and be able to fly on a single engine 
and when slightly to moderately damaged. Supersonic capabilities are pretty much at the bottom of the priority list, but 
the aircraft should be able to do at least 200m/s, preferably 240m/s+. Designs such as the Su-25, A-10 should serve as 
inspiration.

4. Generation

Spoiler

Government contract No.005
by Servo

The year is 1986, and the U.S. Navy is looking for a new heavy carrier based fighter to counter the developing threat of the highly maneuverable MiG-28. The Navy's current F-14D Tomcats are only on even footing with the new Soviet threat in the hands of elite pilots. The Navy wanted a more agile aircraft for low-speed dogfighting, while still retaining the effectiveness of the Tomcat as a heavy fighter-interceptor for CAP and fleet defense. Grumman was contacted to create a Super-Tomcat to counter the new threat, featuring advanced technologies and current research.

Spoiler

Gouvernment contract No. 009
by Servo

"Vietnam showed the need for a specialized aircraft to fill the Wild Weasel missions. These aircraft must be highly maneuverable two-seaters capable of supporting a wide variety of sensors and other equipment. Emphasis on range, maneuverability, survivability, and the ability to loiter over an area for long periods of time."

Spoiler

Government contract No. 013
by Night_Ranger428

The requirement for an air superiority and strike fighter for the air-force has been requested that combines the best qualities of the existing two proposals (F-15 and F-16). Two engines and being exceptionally maneouverable, combined with long range and good weapons load are the base requirements, along with being supersonic, ideally Mach 2+.

4.5. Generation

Spoiler

Government contract No. 006
by myself

"Because the Cold War ended, gouverment funding was limited so a low cost, advanced mulitrole fighter and reconnaissance aircraft. The aircraft should be single engined for easy maintainance and cost effectiveness, it should also be able to fly transsonic without afterburners and able to carry all state of the art weapons. Furthermore supermanuverability and post stall flying should be possible. Design and build a prototype aircraft to match the requirements, take note off experimentals and in-service planes between 1990 and 2005."

Spoiler

Government contract No. 012
by Night_Ranger428

With the cancellation of the F-15X program there is a need for a new fighter to fill the gap with the 
retirement of the F-15C and F-16C/D fleet and the introduction of the new 5th Gen type. Twin engines is ideal for 
redundancy and being highly capable in multi-role operations is also a must. Dogfighting is not the top priority 
but maneouverability still needs to be very good. Range needs to be reasonable, and provision for good loiter time 
over a target. 

5. Generation

Spoiler

Government contract No.007
by Servo

"In 2008, mounting public opinion caused the F-35 program to be significantly downgraded in capabilities, removing the VTOL capability and becoming a carrier-based air superiority fighter. The Air Force and Marine Corps are looking for a light ground attack aircraft capable of operating from forward air bases and small aircraft carriers, for use in contested airspaces using stealth technology. Supersonic flight not required, focus on stealth, surviability, and payload."

6. Generation

Spoiler

Government contract No.008
by Servo

"DARPA and the USAF have developed requirements for an evolution of fighter aircraft beyond the 5th Generation superfighters (the F-35 and the F-22). The aircraft must be an multi-role stealthy aircraft capable of operating undetected in a variety of denied airspaces. This includes radar, infrared, and even visual-band stealth. The aircraft must be capable of operating from forward air bases and carry precision payloads internally, be capable of supercruise for stealth penetration rapid strike missions, and be maneuverable to evade threats that would attempt to find it"

Transport Aircraft form various times

Spoiler

Government contract No. 015
by Night_Ranger428

The need for a heavy transport to fill the gap with the retirement of the C-141 Starlifter and the introduction of the C-5 Galaxy has 
arisen. The requirements are for the largest cargo capacity possible, ideally has rough strip T/O and landing 
capabilities, with minimum possible T/O and landing runs.

Spoiler

Government contract No. 016
by Night_Ranger428

A light tactical transport is required for stealth cargo and para-drops, maneouverability also 
needs to be reasonable to evade ground fire at low level. Dropping supplies precisely, quickly and safely is the main 
purpose of the aircraft, with easy loading for fast operational deployment. Ideally it is twin engined, but TWR may 
require more, or larger engines.

Few rules

Part clipping is allowed
Craft File Editing is allowed
Stock craft only
No Making History Expansion

How to win

I can´t really say there will be a definite winner, but I will probably make a video on my YouTube channel featuring the 3-5 best aircrafts of each generation.

How to submit your Planes

You are allowed to submit as may planes as you want, but just one is also fine

Template for submitting stuff, coupy this and replace with content to contribute.

[contact no. xy]
[generation]
[author(s)]
[craft name]
[description]
[pictures (max 3)]
[Download link (if possible KerbalX)]

HB Stratos over and out

Edited by HB Stratos
more contracts added!

I presume this would be a challenge with BDA and Aviator Arsenal for weaponry? 

Is there some kind of actual combat involved to decide which planes are better and worse, or is that gonna be done some other way?

Are the tail hooks just something that looks right or are we supposed to use some mod to get them? 

Other than that, looks like it could be a nice challenge! 

Contract number: 001.
Generation: 1
Author: Panzerknoef/Zircon Aerospace
Name: Zircon Lamington
Description: The Zircon Lamington is a twin engine aircraft designed with carrier operations in mind. It features a unique setup of engines (inspired by the La-200) with one on the tail, and on midships. This design doesn't just allow us to keep the entire aircraft slender, it also provides additional upward thrust, making for shorter takeoff runs, very suitable for aircraft carriers. Both engines also feature thrust reversers (set at action group #3) to allow the aircraft to come to a halt asap everywhere. The Zircon Lamington isn't quite capable of going supersonic at sea level, but does manage to get up to high transonic speeds (mach .97). As requested, the aircraft also features an arresting hook and reinforced landing gear. The latter achieved by mounting it on a solid steel beam separate from the wings, to minimize stresses on said wings. Armament consists of 6 machine guns (represented by antennas), 2 rockets and 2 unguided bombs.

Pictures: 

Spoiler

KxAF7Hd.png

Z5H4qzQ.png

Get your test model here: https://kerbalx.com/Panzerknoef/Zircon-Lamington
Zircon Aerospace eagerly awaits your response to our bid!

I suppose I should post the plane that started all this.

m2SLjR5.png

The Grumman YF-28 "Alleycat" is a heavily modified F-14 base, swapping the swing wing of the Tomcat for a swept delta configuration. It features innovative leading-edge canards, one-dimensional thrust vectoring, and highly advanced fly-by-wire systems to allow it to take on the new Soviet threat. 

Lo2CGXU.png

The wide thrust base and low wing loading allows the Alleycat to be a superb dogfighter, and the armament of 5 AIM-54 Phoenix plus 4 AIM-7 Sparrow means that it doesn't need to be. Additionally, the Alleycat's wings fold inboard of the ailerons, allowing it to stack cleaner than the F-14 could on decks, increasing the number of fleet-defense aircraft in a squadron by two. 

The Marine Corps is looking to adapt the YF-28's superb high-alpha and low-speed handling characteristics to allow it to operate from smaller carriers than any before. Test squadrons of three aircraft are currently undergoing sea trials aboard the USS America in the Gulf of Mexico to explore this possibility. YF-28s in this configuration would trade range for engine power, and could be operated as fast ELINT aircraft or to provide air cover much faster than aircraft based on conventional carriers could.

contract no. 007
Gen 5
LunarEnterprises-Moonsparkejo
XLFA-1 Epsilon BDA
My submission, has an internal weapons bay, a tailhook, STOL capability, and reverse thrust for taxiing on carriers, it holds 14 Mk82 UGB in its internal weapons bay, and has two vulcan 20mm cannons, remove the BDA, it’s for realistic demonstration of it’s payload https://kerbalx.com/LunarEnterprises-Moonsparkejo/XLFA-1-Epsilon-BDA

oCrwqAW.pngNgVYwpl.pngihyd6Ra.png

Edited by moonsparkejo
Included pictures.

contract no. 007

generation 5

MR_somebody

F-79 "Kapios"

though able to stall realitivly easily by banking/turning hard, it is maneuverable to a degree, it also has an afterburner. It doesn't have any weapons yet, but that is because of part count and my PC.

screenshot157.png?width=871&height=490

and the download: https://kerbalx.com/MR_somebody/F-79-Kapios

Edited by MR_somebody
needed to have a certain template

Contract no.1,

Generation 1

PA. A-210
lnu6lBe.png

Shortly following the navy's request for a heavy fighter with an integrated cannon, the design bureau immediately jumped into action, using the standard PC-A cannon, installing it behind the cockpit and before the fuel tank, this decreases risk in case of malfunction by having the fuel away from the barrel in the event of an explosion. armed with a further 6 rockets and 2 600kg bombs, this aircraft is nothing to tango with.

when combat flaps are deployed, This jet has a very tight turning radius considering it's size, configuration and armament.

uYhcaRi.png

Taking advantage of the newly discovered benefits of swept wings, the elongated trapezoidal design allows for superior speed as compared to it's straight winged comrades.

uGLOj99.png

lastly, with the added weight of the arms, RATO boosters were needed to match with the Navy's request for a short take off run.

https://kerbalx.com/PhantomAerospace/A-210-Gladius

Edited by Phantomic

Introduction
This is my entry for the contract n°005

VJcchZu.png

This is meant to be a carrier-based 4th gen fighter, with a lot of inspiration from actual aircraft.
link:https://kerbalx.com/Coca992/SkyFox

Description
This well maneuverable fat ass plane uses two overpowered afterburner turbofans to carry the following weapons:
- 1 cluster bomb (from me)
- 4 unguided missiles (from HB Stratos)
- 6 guided missiles (from IMLL1)
It can overpass the speed of sound when you're starting to gain altitude, max speed: 850m/s

I think it fits well as a heavy interceptor for both attack and defense, don't forget that you can change its weapons for all missions needs
personal notes 
During the building phase, I had a lot of fun messing around fairings using some magic to fit all my needs, increasing my skills with fairings. Oh, and I build it without plans, the best way to build things in ksp ;)

Action groups:

ag1: toggle engines
ag2: toggle afterburners
ag9: toggle tail hook
ag10: toggle spoilers

K0R5aNG.png

Edited by Coca992
Forgot to add action groups ^^'

Contract #008
6th Generation
LunarEnterprises-Moonsparkejo
F-37 Requiem

The F-37 Requiem was built from the shell of the F-27 Lynx which was the only original clean-sheet tail-less fighter jet ever built by Lunar Enterprises. The Lynx was an inferior aircraft, it flew clumsily and had no internal weapons bay, and it never saw production. The only flying prototype was put in a storage hangar and left to gather dust. That was until our engineers began designing an aircraft to the design specifications for a request put out by my good friends HB_Stratos and Servo. Lunar Enterprises was told to build a prototype for Contract Number 008; the contract calls for a tail-less, stealth, supersonic, supermaneuverable, STOL & Carrier Capable, 6th generation fighter jet.

After spending the better part of a week mulling over possible designs, our janitor, Jim, suggested that we consider using the old F-27 that had been sitting in the back of storage hangar number 31. Our chief engineer had been part of the team that designed the F-27 Lynx years earlier, and he had the aircraft brought into the EclipseWorks’ special projects hangar. Work on the air-frame began immediately; old and outdated steam gauges in the cockpit were replaced by high tech LCD displays, the body was smoothed, faceted, and coated in radar-absorbent materials, and space was made for an internal weapons bay.

The result was a brand new aircraft, capable of operating from a carrier, avoiding radar detection, and performing reality-defying maneuvers. The F-37 Requiem is exceptionally stable and maneuverable, it holds just over 1300 units of fuel, and has an internal weapons bay that can be opened using Action Group 3. In its current configuration it has 6 precision-striking stock rockets that can be fired in sets of 2.

T0E8yVU.png

hMjyvRi.png

h8EOFVF.png

1KGE1oN.png

https://kerbalx.com/LunarEnterprises-Moonsparkejo/F-37-Requiem-Armed

1 hour ago, Coca992 said:

Introduction
This is my entry for the contract n°005

VJcchZu.png

This is meant to be a carrier-based 4th gen fighter, with a lot of inspiration from actual aircraft.
link:https://kerbalx.com/Coca992/SkyFox

Description
This well maneuverable fat ass plane uses two overpowered afterburner turbofans to carry the following weapons:
- 1 cluster bomb (from me)
- 4 unguided missiles (from HB Stratos)
- 6 guided missiles (from IMLL1)
It can overpass the speed of sound when you're starting to gain altitude, max speed: 850m/s

I think it fits well as a heavy interceptor for both attack and defense, don't forget that you can change its weapons for all missions needs
personal notes 
During the building phase, I had a lot of fun messing around fairings using some magic to fit all my needs, increasing my skills with fairings. Oh, and I build it without plans, the best way to build things in ksp ;)

Action groups:

ag1: toggle engines
ag2: toggle afterburners
ag9: toggle tail hook
ag10: toggle spoilers

K0R5aNG.png

Randomly scrolling through this thread, didn't expect to find such an epic plane!

Contract No.006
Gen 4.5

Made by (ya boi) Xenome

Au-30/61

Light European fighter from 1996, made to be produced and maintained easily, the only challenging component to fabricate being the engine. Small internal fuel volume, but can refuel from standard NATO tankers or carry drop tanks if required to fly longer distances.

2Olprpy.jpg

At it's maximum it can carry up to 4500 units of LF using drop tanks, but honestly I can't recommend that, it doesn't even fly like the same plane with this much weight.

OBeyFDa.jpg

An example of heavy, unguided AGMs for use against fortified positions 

Q6VAnFd.jpg

Has 5 hardpoints total, 2 per wing and one center. It comes with the hardpoints but no weaponry on them to save on parts, with the 4 missiles it has 441 parts lol
Without weapons on the pylons the craft has 197 parts.

https://kerbalx.com/Xenome/Au-3061

Edited by Xen0m3

Contract No.001

Generation 1(more like 0.5, but that isnt an option)

MR_somebody

The P-100 "electrifier" was first  rushed to the factory lines as a prototype with barely any testing after the bombing of pearl harbor, and it saw limited use, now, after WWII, it still has her prop engine and is now a proper aircraft with testing, but it is a little outdated now...

screenshot169.png?width=400&height=225

it CAN hold weapons, but i didnt add them because they made it very unmanuverable and look worse

screenshot170.png?width=400&height=225

though you get infinite fuel because of the fact that it uses electricity, to use, switch to the prop and hold ALT+E for a bit(until it gets a constant velocity)

screenshot171.png

https://kerbalx.com/MR_somebody/P-100-electrifier is the link to the craft download, enjoy!

Contract 002
Generation 2
Panzerknoef/Zircon Aerospace
Zircon SI-11 "Kelud"
The Zircon SI-11 was designed with one thing, and one thing only, in mind. Getting somewhere as fast as possible, for this matter we have fitted the SI-11 with an extra powerful version of the panther turbofan (*cough* 2 over each other *cough*). The powerful engine allow the Kelud to reach speeds as high as mach 2.7, speeds at which it should easily be capable of catching bombers of the same era. For maximum performance it is advised to drop the extra fuel tank mounted on the bottom, while it does provide for a significant chunk of extra range, it limits the aircraft in its abilities. As requested, the airplane is quite limited in size, being a mere 12.9m long and an even more modest 8 meters wide. It features 4 hard points under the wings, they can be used to mount both missiles and bombs. By default we have mounted 4 missiles. The hard point under the hull can also be used to mount bombs instead of the standard fuel tank. We have also mounted 2 cannons in the nose as a backup weapon. 

kziCxs4.png

Spoiler

PkbRFXz.png

wnzLTpq.png

Download link: https://kerbalx.com/Panzerknoef/Zircon-SI-11-Kelud

Zircon Aerospace hopes you will enjoy our latest submission!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.