Weather and other challenges for off-kerbin worlds.

One thig that i think could greatly make KSP better and more realistic is to have threads when on other planets,now im not asking for 16 feet 4 heads and 2 mouth aliens going after your ship,Rather it would be kinda neet to have weather in game,This is how i think it should function.

Kerbol:Kerbol should have just 1 thread that is micro meteors,these have an EXTREMLY low chance of hitting your ship (1%) and should at max destroy one random part.The chances of a  micrometeor to hit your ship should increase the more debris are left in orbit(+0.1% per part on debris classified vessels)

Moho,Minmus,Mun.dres,Tylo,Bop and Pol:These planets because they dont have atmosphere should be constantly being hit by meteors,It should be aswell a small 1% chance of being hit but they should be more lethal than micrometeors,how this should work is that an actuall small meteor spawns heading thorwards your area,This could eneble a chance of a new part for the game,The meteor hunter,This part should warn you where nearby meteros will strike.

Eve and Duna:These planets should have storms that could make landing a challenge because of winds.They should aswell make solar pannels dont work,and in some cases make them completly broken even when the storms are gone,this should require a kerbal engeneer to fix

Kerbin:Should be left as it is since its a place where begginers are going to get familiar with the games base mechanics.

Laythe:Laythe should be a heavy one,It should have an area of the planet being hit 24/7 by an etenrnal hurricane wich winds could lift a ship to a max of 50T,As a reward for being in this area of the planet it should give a good amount of :science:

Eeloo:It should have geysers that could freeze ship instruments,Make gyroscopes not function,solar panels not turn,and break other stuff....

This should be similar to comnet,It can be toggled on and off

Thats all i could think off.And let me know what you think off this!

43 minutes ago, FoxTrotGaming76 said:

Yeah. I like this. Something else that would be cool is season on planets with atmospheres.

Unfortunately, this requires axial tilt, which is not a feature in the stock game. As for weather, mods such as EVE add moving cloud systems (although they are really just backdrop) and there is no adverse weather, which is what makes “weather” interesting. The suggestions that you give, though, I certainly like, and I am certain that many other players share my opinion.

Wind seems to have potential.  It affects rockets only a little, but makes landing aircraft interesting, and we would quickly launch sailboats.

KSP generally does not let random events affect game-play (KerbNet being the exception) presumably because the game is largely about rewarding good planning.  Winds that change randomly might not fit for this reason, unless they are moderate enough and change regularly enough, so we can design to cope with wind, or wait it out.  Maybe the meteors could be harmless if ignored, and have some benefit if you are actually looking for them -- like asteroids.

KSP has the kind of axial tilt that creates seasons, rotation tilted relative to orbit. The hole at the pole of Moho is dark half the year.  It's just that all the planets' and moons' rotation axes all need to be parallel to each other, so the variation in axial tilt between planets is all due to the variation in their inclinations.  

14 hours ago, KerbolExplorer said:

Eeloo:It should have geysers that could freeze ship instruments,Make gyroscopes not function,solar panels not turn,and break other stuff....

Ah yes, my carefully planned 9 year mission to Eeloo, I'm almost he..Oh the geyser froze my reaction wheel, I can't turn for landing, it blew off my RTG, I have no power *ship crashes*

Also solar panels that far from the sun hah

15 hours ago, KerbolExplorer said:

16 feet 4 heads and 2 mouth aliens going after your ship

Why isn't that a thing in stock, already?

I like your ideas, but random events and part failures in stock is very unlikely, like @OHara said. Constant/regular wind or storms seem more realistically implementable, on the other hand. I really like the idea of seasons, would the tilted axis be a thing.

Random part failures I've never been a fan of. If present it should be done systematically, logically, and have means for the player to counteract it.

Weather though? Hell yeah. "Launch scrubbed due to hurricane" is something real space agencies have to account for all the time, but is nonexistent in KSP. Instead of having random inclement weather, as you say this game is about rewarding planning rather than coping with random setbacks, maybe we could just have all the weather in the system be deterministic, tied to a seed generated (or specified) at game start. If you start a game with seed 1, for example, you might always get a storm off the KSC coast of particular intensity on day 40, letting you plan around it and maintain consistency between saves (as well as ensuring every player can experience the same weather conditions if they want to, say for a challenge). If you want unpredictable weather, just change the seed. Best of both worlds.

And I am very much interested in an enormous typhoon system that regularly sweeps across Laythe's surface. It would certainly encourage submarine construction. Everything else I could give or take, but modeling wind is something that would provide quite a positive shakeup to systems that haven't really changed in years.

Goes almost without saying that this would be the perfect excuse to add clouds to the stock game, cough cough.

Edited by Loskene

31 minutes ago, Loskene said:

maybe we could just have all the weather in the system be deterministic, tied to a seed generated (or specified) at game start.

I do agree about rewarding for planning and no random setbacks, but I don't think that entirely predetermined weather is the answer by itself. The seed idea is good if you really want to reproduce the conditions you had to go through in a precedent game, but the most entertaining way to have the player plan ahead would be to introduce a meteorological and climatological researches facility that gives you weather forecast and that you can upgrade both to give you forecast further ahead in time and for other planets.

6 minutes ago, PunkyFickle said:

I do agree about rewarding for planning and no random setbacks, but I don't think that entirely predetermined weather is the answer by itself. The seed idea is good if you really want to reproduce the conditions you had to go through in a precedent game, but the most entertaining way to have the player plan ahead would be to introduce a meteorological and climatological researches facility that gives you weather forecast and that you can upgrade both to give you forecast further ahead in time and for other planets.

The weather will likely have to be seed generated anyway just on a technical level, but for implementation yeah it'd need a form of abstraction for the player to interact with. The game can know exactly what the weather will be like 100 years from now, but there's no reason for the player to know that. A new weather station building in the KSC that provides "forecasts" would be good. It'd just have to run the weather generation system forward a few days, "blur" the results a bit to make it less accurate the further ahead you try and predict, and have upgrades to make the forecast more accurate (ie add less artificial noise to the results), so that we can get the feeling that it's a real weather forecast.

19 hours ago, KerbolExplorer said:

Eve and Duna:These planets should have storms that could make landing a challenge because of winds.They should aswell make solar pannels dont work

Rather ironical to post that on the day of Opportunity's official end of mission, by the way.

7 hours ago, The Aziz said:

Ah yes, my carefully planned 9 year mission to Eeloo, I'm almost he..Oh the geyser froze my reaction wheel, I can't turn for landing, it blew off my RTG, I have no power *ship crashes*

Also solar panels that far from the sun hah

hey that happens in real life too....Appollo 13 was carefully planed and the mission almost ended in disaster.

And we could have new parts to evoid parts freezing,and maybe even give a reason to protect delicate parts with other,more durable parts.

Oh and i used solar panels at Eeloo

2 hours ago, PunkyFickle said:

Rather ironical to post that on the day of Opportunity's official end of mission, by the way.

Lol i didnt know!What a coincidence!

Knowing our devs, any weather forecasts wouldn't be nearly as complex as suggested here. For stock, I could see another tab in vab or in KSC view, showing current conditions, and approximate time when they change. For a start it could probably work as global weather, same everywhere on the planet.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.