Opportunity Easter Egg on Duna, please

I wonder if Squad will add an easter egg for Opportunity in the next update. After all, how can we not forget that little robot who explored the Martian surface for 15 years - and when it was supposed to die after 90 days.

SjQRzZE.jpg

"My battery is low and it's getting dark" (Opportunity's final words)

If anyone else would like to pay respects, visit my "Opportunity Eulogy" post

Edited by Mars-Bound Hokie

2 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

I think if they added an Easter egg, they wouldn’t mention it. We’d have to find it for ourselves.

Also, it’s not really for Opportunity, but there’s already a buried Curiosity chem-cam on Duna.

Shouldn't be all that hard to add one at the right location, though... maybe have it do Morse code of the "final words"?

19 minutes ago, klesh said:

People are getting way too emotionally involved with a robot. 

Heretic! Unbeliever!

All joking aside, it is sad to see one of missions that truly cemented my fascination with Mars finally come to an end, especially like this. I mean... Opportunity was active for nearly half my life. I think that only the ISS, Cassini, and the Voyagers have been active missions for longer.

1 hour ago, MaverickSawyer said:

I think that only the ISS, Cassini, and the Voyagers have been active missions for longer.

Hubble too, but it was reserviced. 

2001 Mars Odyssey is also older. 

Edited by EchoLima
Added 2001 Mars Odyssey

47 minutes ago, Vanamonde said:

You guys know there already sort-of is one, right? (Not my pic.) 

Jon1R.png

Yeah, and SQUAD put in a memorial for Neil Armstrong after he died. Having some new Easter Eggs related to spaceflight wouldn't be unwelcome. ;) Now, not saying that every mission that's landed on another planet should get one, but some notable missions should be honored. Opportunity certainly counts in my book.

At any rate, this suggestion for the game's development has been moved to Suggestions & Development. 

Thanks.

8 hours ago, Vanamonde said:

You guys know there already sort-of is one, right? (Not my pic.) 

Jon1R.png

At any rate, this suggestion for the game's development has been moved to Suggestions & Development. 

Someone should check on it though. A lot of Easter eggs have become entirely inaccessible or viewable over the years and it’s possible the rover may also have been lost during all the updates 

4 hours ago, ZooNamedGames said:

Someone should check on it though. A lot of Easter eggs have become entirely inaccessible or viewable over the years and it’s possible the rover may also have been lost during all the updates 

nope, all the easter eggs have been checked to ensure they haven't sunken in or anything. Earlier versions had Easter Eggs deep underground but they have been fixed as far as I can tell.

7 hours ago, klgraham1013 said:

I question the scale of some of the easter eggs in this game...

Well, according to the wiki (the biology section is particularly hilarious, btw), a Kerbal is 0,75 m tall and Curiosity is around the size of a car :

PIA15279_3rovers-stand_D2011_1215_D521.j

Wikipedia :

Spoiler

Curiosity has a mass of 899 kg (1,982 lb) including 80 kg (180 lb) of scientific instruments. The rover is 2.9 m (9.5 ft) long by 2.7 m (8.9 ft) wide by 2.2 m (7.2 ft) in height.

So that's actually rather close to reality :

w8MrDCL.jpg

Standard height for the other stuff measured in the picture.

Edited by PunkyFickle

21 hours ago, PunkyFickle said:

Well, according to the wiki (the biology section is particularly hilarious, btw), a Kerbal is 0,75 m tall and Curiosity is around the size of a car :

PIA15279_3rovers-stand_D2011_1215_D521.j

That might just be the coolest pic I have seen of all the rovers, clearly showing the relative sizes.  I have followed them all fairly closely, I remember watching the Sojourner landings on TV.   I wonder if they ever do races around the test track....

25 minutes ago, Duck McFuddle said:

I think it would be nice to have a little easter egg for dear old Opportunity. Squad wouldn't announce it, but we would have to find it ourselves. 

Just a few posts up, you'll see it's already in the game...

1 hour ago, Gargamel said:

That might just be the coolest pic I have seen of all the rovers, clearly showing the relative sizes.  I have followed them all fairly closely, I remember watching the Sojourner landings on TV.   I wonder if they ever do races around the test track....

I don't have much credit; the picture is on the wikipedia page of Curiosity. I don't really see races being that exiting due to the difference in top speed, endurance contests, however...

• 2 weeks later...

I think that MER-1 (Oppy) should be given some credit for working for so over 15 years, and since it is now officially dead, I think it would be nice to add him into the game. Of course it doesn't have to be a statue, but maybe some other kind of easteregg.

Edited by Rover 6428

This has already been suggested, but only by mention in the opportunity eulogy thread. I would love it if this happened. Opportunity definitely deserves some sort of easter egg, and KSP has commemorated things/people before (Armstrong statue on the Mun).

We do already have a little rover cam sticking out of the ground already, but that is not specifically devoted to any one rover.

Image result for ksp rover easter egg duna

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.