I would like to give this eulogy to probably the greatest feat of space travel engineering yet, Opportunity.

From the moment you first made contact on the Martian surface, everyone knew you were destined for greatness. You were meant to last only 90 days, but you pressed on for 15 years. During that time, you collected a treasure trove of knowledge on the Red Planet - opening up new doors to science and engineering. Since that fateful day in 2018, we never gave up on you.

May your contributions pave the way for more great feats in the future.

SjQRzZE.jpg

"My battery is low and it's getting dark" (Opportunity's final words)

If anyone else would like to pay respects, or have anything to say about Opportunity, don't hesitate to reply to this thread.

I'm sad to say I had forgotten about Opportunity. It seems so long now that it was running, like it would just go on forever.

Here's hoping in about 100 years... somebody walks out of their Mars Hab and takes a little drive out onto the dunes to find it, dust it off, and bring it back home.

And as such, ends the programmes of Mars Exploration Rovers.

Rather than saying "Rest in Peace", I'd rather say,

Dona Nobis Pacem.

May we continue our future explorations in peace, and may our future explorations brings us peace.

Edited by YNM

Let's just create an Opportunity forum account with one (locked) post and start liking that post.

When the future students find and revive Opportunity, it will be very glad to see it.

P.S.
We can do this for other lost crafts as a robot memorial.

Edited by kerbiloid

Goodbye, Opportunity... I never saw your landing, but I grew up hearing about your feats. You were one of the driving forces early on for my interest in space. I won't forget how you shaped my learning and understanding of Mars, space, and science in general. 

R.I.P Opportunity 

Our space probes are the new adventurers, being sent to frontiers that humans may not visit for many decades. They are endearing to us in a way that few, if any, non-humanoid robots can be. Oppy, thanks for capturing the imaginations of so many earthlings!

• 1 year later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.